Airport forces girl to flush pet Hamster

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 1:06 am

Pebbles was a doctor-approved emotional support animal, and the beloved pet had helped Ms Belen Aldecosea overcome stress from a difficult medical experience.

The 21 Yr old college student was told she could not board the plane with the pet hamster. She was apparently too traumatised about releasing the hamster in the wild as temperatures were below zero so airport staff advised her that the most humane course of action was to flush the poor little animal in the toilets.

The girl was heavily traumatised and cried for 10 minutes as she needed the pet to help her with stress and anxiety

While I empathise with the girl (as my daughter's dog helps keep her calm) she's a 21 yr old college student and seems pretty dumb to just kill her pet that easily? Both airport staff and the girl were advised by PETA that one simple phone call and the animal would have been voluntarily collected for free.
http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... a4badfd592

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 1:22 am

I really wouldn't want an animal that only lives for 2 or 3 years to be my security pet. But forcing her to flush it it just cruel and horrible. Airline travel is the worst.

But I wouldn't trust anything PETA says. They're an animal *wrongs* group who advertise on screaming billboards that not only does milk give you autism, but being autistic is a terrible tragedy. :x

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 1:34 am

Don't airlines accept domestic animals in pet carriers?

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 1:50 am

cyberdad wrote:
Pebbles was a doctor-approved emotional support animal, and the beloved pet had helped Ms Belen Aldecosea overcome stress from a difficult medical experience.

The 21 Yr old college student was told she could not board the plane with the pet hamster. She was apparently too traumatised about releasing the hamster in the wild as temperatures were below zero so airport staff advised her that the most humane course of action was to flush the poor little animal in the toilets.

The girl was heavily traumatised and cried for 10 minutes as she needed the pet to help her with stress and anxiety

While I empathise with the girl (as my daughter's dog helps keep her calm) she's a 21 yr old college student and seems pretty dumb to just kill her pet that easily? Both airport staff and the girl were advised by PETA that one simple phone call and the animal would have been voluntarily collected for free.
http://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-up ... a4badfd592

I have a very difficult time believing that she cared much for that hamster at all.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 2:07 am

Here's someone traveling with a support fish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsJkjAWLgWY

CloudClimber
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 2:16 am

Emotional support animals are not required to have access to any public space; only service dogs with a letter from the doctor are allowed free in the cabin. They didn't force her to do anything, they just poorly advised her. She chose to inhumanely kill her pet which should never have been put into that situation. Animals must be boarded properly in airport approved carriers.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 3:22 am

The headline of this thread made me. :lol:

As for her decision.. well, apparently she suffers from anxiety, sooo making clear, logical, rational decisions is probably not something she's capable of doing in a high stress situation, so, seeing no other options she complied with their requests in order to board the plane. I'm sure in hindsight she could see other options.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 6:05 pm

Sorry...got to cease and desist with tabloid headlines...hard to fit accurate information when there's a character limit

Yes the girl has anxiety and probably was under pressure but it seems strange if she loved her pet that she would agree to kill it? at 21 I knew about animal rights...

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 7:07 pm

She killed the pet because she couldn't catch that particular flight anxiety is the least of her problems, she could have given it to someone at the airport the fact that she chose to flush it down the toilet alive instead of calling an animal shelter shows she is a wicked soul.

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Feb 2018, 7:21 pm

There was an article in my local paper yesterday about someone trying to take their support peacock on a plane. The airlines have cracked down recently on people abusing the support system to avoid paying transport fees for their pets. I feel for the girl with the hamster, who seemed to me had an anxiety attack and thus didn’t make the best decision. There were so many ways that problem could have had a happy resolution.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 8:35 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
she could have given it to someone at the airport the fact that she chose to flush it down the toilet alive instead of calling an animal shelter shows she is a wicked soul.

I think when somebody is in the throes of a panic attack they are prone to act irrationally. The airport staff had a duty of care to contact the relevant animal authorities rather than advise "flushing it" (although the same staff claim never to have given the advice)

Even so, I think the girl must have very little empathy to treat an innocent (and cute) animal that had given her so much comfort and companionship with such a harsh death (drowning) even if she was advised. Of course there will be plenty of people who'd say "it's just a hamster" and leave her alone.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 8:40 pm

I doubt they would have advised to have flushed it, I think she is lying about the panic attacks and the hamster being there to comfort her they are timid animals not suited for that sort of thing. I think she is just a very selfish person who is now trying to get some money by suing.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 8:47 pm

So she just wanted to get on the flight, didn't care about the hamster and concocted the story to make a buck?
Quite plausible

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 2:44 am

Poor hamster. Poor girl.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 12:17 pm

The flight meant more to her than her hamster did. That's horrible that she killed her hamster by flushing it.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 3:45 pm

Yeah, that's horrible. But I'm not sure the poor critter would have fared that well in PETA's hands. I've read a lot about organization for years, and it appears the majority of the animals they come in contact usually end up being euthanized.

Oscar Meyer Lansky