Do people even want me to have a girlfriend?

Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 10:15 am

That doesn’t make sense, Marknis.

Why would somebody NOT want you to have a girlfriend—unless that person is some kind of nut.

I would like it if you had a girlfriend.

What people are saying—is that getting a girlfriend SHOULDN’T BE YOUR NUMBER ONE PRIORITY.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 2:32 pm

Marknis wrote:
I get the feeling most people don't want me to have a girlfriend. Whenever I am told things like "You don't need a girlfriend!" or "Women are trouble! Count yourself lucky!", that feeling is only reinforced. It's very painful and unfair to be told these things. Just because I fell behind in social skills doesn't mean I am undeserving of love but why do so many think I shouldn't be allowed to have it? :(

Those are just the flip side of the coin of the "it'll happen" or "you'll find the right girl" platitudes. People don't enter a situation thinking "how can I best sabotage Marknis' chances of ever finding love today?" They just don't know how to help you any more than you know how to help yourself, or they don't have the time/energy/care-factor to lay out a step-by-step plan for you to follow. Everybody has their own problems to deal with too.

My personal opinion on the matter, and the approach I'll be taking to solve my own love struggles is to become a superior version of myself, and be able to offer up some of the things I would want in a partner, such as a more aesthetic physique and healthy lifestyle, a higher level of independence, more investment in interests, spending less time in bed being a couch potato, and as a cumulative consequence of all of these, being less depressed and having more self-esteem/self-confidence. When all's said and done, I'll be able to present myself as a more well-rounded person, and whilst I doubt women will flock to me in droves, I don't doubt I'll have a much easier time in the dating realm as a result of having built myself up in such a way that I can actually take pride in myself and be happy with where I am and where I'm going in life.

It may not seem like it to you now, but as it relates to getting a relationship, particularly if your prospects seem slim, investing in yourself is the path of least resistance.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 2:44 pm

We sure do. And we are trying to help you change your focus, in order to make it more likely to happen. Because an extreme focus on "finding someone" looks, to outsiders, as if the person looking for someone doesn't care about who that person really is - they just want a warm body. (That is Elliot Rodger, in a nutshell, and I do mean nut.)

And that nondiscriminate desire for "the thing" more than a person is a real turnoff to anyone worth relating to. It's a paradox. The more you want a romantic relationship as the end-all and be-all, the less it's likely to happen, because you're actually surrounded by relationships - all kinds - and rejecting all of them due to them not being the "type" of relationship you want.

It's also a guarantee of disappointment. Why? Because while you're avoiding real relationships of other kinds, you're losing contact with what real relationships are. And when you do find a potential love interest, they'll never be able to equal the ideal partner/ideal relationship you've imagined. Because ideal relationships don't exist, and non-romantic relationships are the best way to practice relating to others in the real world.

So the best way forward, really, is to enjoy the relationships you have... the ones that are enjoyable. Start backing off from the ones that aren't, the people who drain you, mock you and pretend it's humor, take you for granted, take and don't give back. And start filling that space, where the bad relationships were, with what you are actually interested in - don't just grab for another person; look at your interests and check them out.

You're building your future self - you really truly are not doomed to be just a hollow shell, with a poster inside it that says "I am nothing because I don't have a life partner". You can be a solid, 3-D, good human being who has likes and interests and values, who knows who he is, and knows what he stands for. That produces a quiet, solid self-confidence that doesn't need to be advertised, and is very attractive, because it's real, because you're real. PS, you're already a good 80% of the way there. You don't believe that, but it's true.

Suggested viewing: Four Weddings And A Funeral. It's a rom-com, yeah, but not only, and it has a lot to say. Also suggested: When Harry Met Sally. Likewise.

We can't magic you into a parallel world where all this has already been fixed, dear Marknis (meant sincerely. You are quite dear, and well worthwhile). All we can do is give you the best maps we have.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 5:46 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
^ “You need a girlfriend” and “You need to get laid” (to male) - are VERY common jokes/trolling and therefore socially acceptable.
You hear a lot of men AND women throwing those at guys.

It’s the “you need a boyfriend” or “you need to get laid” (to female) which seem not socially acceptable at all. You never hear women AND men saying those to women.

Again, don’t confuse between the two genders perspectives in life they are entirely two different worlds.

Yup I’ve had a guy at work tell me to “get on it , times running out” when I told him. I don’t have a family never even had a gf after he asked. Like I don’t known times running out but he doesn’t get how much women dislike men like me.
Like it’s that

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 5:50 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
That doesn’t make sense, Marknis.

Why would somebody NOT want you to have a girlfriend—unless that person is some kind of nut.

I would like it if you had a girlfriend.

What people are saying—is that getting a girlfriend SHOULDN’T BE YOUR NUMBER ONE PRIORITY.

My friend and others have always told me I’ll never have a relationship.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 5:53 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
We sure do. And we are trying to help you change your focus, in order to make it more likely to happen. Because an extreme focus on "finding someone" looks, to outsiders, as if the person looking for someone doesn't care about who that person really is - they just want a warm body. (That is Elliot Rodger, in a nutshell, and I do mean nut.)

And that nondiscriminate desire for "the thing" more than a person is a real turnoff to anyone worth relating to. It's a paradox. The more you want a romantic relationship as the end-all and be-all, the less it's likely to happen, because you're actually surrounded by relationships - all kinds - and rejecting all of them due to them not being the "type" of relationship you want.

It's also a guarantee of disappointment. Why? Because while you're avoiding real relationships of other kinds, you're losing contact with what real relationships are. And when you do find a potential love interest, they'll never be able to equal the ideal partner/ideal relationship you've imagined. Because ideal relationships don't exist, and non-romantic relationships are the best way to practice relating to others in the real world.

So the best way forward, really, is to enjoy the relationships you have... the ones that are enjoyable. Start backing off from the ones that aren't, the people who drain you, mock you and pretend it's humor, take you for granted, take and don't give back. And start filling that space, where the bad relationships were, with what you are actually interested in - don't just grab for another person; look at your interests and check them out.

You're building your future self - you really truly are not doomed to be just a hollow shell, with a poster inside it that says "I am nothing because I don't have a life partner". You can be a solid, 3-D, good human being who has likes and interests and values, who knows who he is, and knows what he stands for. That produces a quiet, solid self-confidence that doesn't need to be advertised, and is very attractive, because it's real, because you're real. PS, you're already a good 80% of the way there. You don't believe that, but it's true.

Suggested viewing: Four Weddings And A Funeral. It's a rom-com, yeah, but not only, and it has a lot to say. Also suggested: When Harry Met Sally. Likewise.

We can't magic you into a parallel world where all this has already been fixed, dear Marknis (meant sincerely. You are quite dear, and well worthwhile). All we can do is give you the best maps we have.

What if someone say me has no relationships at all ie no friends at all, and nothing else to do in his life as he’s permanently disabled and only works part time.
Most people work 40+ hours a week so it’s easier for them to not think about being lonely . I have plenty of time to think about being lonely. I don’t have a single friend anymore.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 7:01 pm

Good points by Kraftie, Grand Inquisitor and Esmerelda.
All of us, I think, would love to see you get a girlfriend, Marknis.

In all honesty, though, and I hope this does not sound too blunt, your efforts are being undermined by the intensity of your need. It puts too much pressure onto any girl, that so much of your emotional well-being is staked on the success of the relationship. She should want to be with you for her own enjoyment and yours, and free to be as intimate or distant as she is comfortable with, rather than have this determined by your expectations.

Though it may seem counter-intuitive, by saying that you don't need a girlfriend, I think people are actually trying to support you in taking the psychological steps needed to get one.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 7:08 pm

Your "friend" is an idiot, Sly.

What is he, some kind of fortune teller?

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 7:14 pm

^^This.
I like your posts, Sly, you're a decent guy.
There's something very wrong with the world if there's no one out there for you.

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 7:28 pm

I'm pretty neutral on the matter. I don't see any reason why you shouldn't ever get a girlfriend. Plenty of awful people manage, and you don't strike me as awful.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 7:38 pm

I knew that Elliot Rodger or Sodini will be mentioned by some lady poster while forgetting that a lot of women-killers are actually the husbands/bfs of victims. (because the OP is male, inexperienced, and wants a gf).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 7:43 pm

Elliot Rodger has nothing to do with the guys here.

People make use of Elliot Rodger in order to try to insult guys.

Guys should just ignore those who mention Rodger's name.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 7:48 pm

I made before a whole thread on violence against women stats along the years (In the US too) including abusing, rape and murdering - showing how the majority of these crimes are done by bfs and husbands, not by single guys.

Yet, all what they remember is elliot rodger.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 8:10 pm

Sorry, Boo; if your comment is obliquely directed at me, you're as wrong as wrong can be.

I mention Elliot Rodger above specifically because Marknis created another thread on this discussion site, in which he mentioned that people are comparing him (Marknis), to that freak (Rodger), as an insult (and it's an extremely vile one).

Here 'tis: viewtopic.php?t=360069

I care enough about Marknis to have remembered his post, and am discrediting that criticism here again, because he in no way deserves it. I made a supportive comment on the other thread as well.

Here's that: viewtopic.php?t=360069#p7816695

(I don't mind valid criticism, but I strenuously object to calumny. As most Aspies would. ;-) )

Have a nice - rest of the day? You're in Beirut? So it's 3 PM there, or a little after.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 8:41 pm

Esmerelda mentioned Elliot Rodger's name because it was mentioned in the thread in relation to what Marknis has been told by idiots on the Internet. No other reason.

She wanted to point out that Rodger has no relation to the guys here. Nobody here is like Elliot Rodger, whatsoever.

She made an excellent point: And this applies to ALL GENDERS. Anybody who seems "desperate" in anything is one who raises "red flags." I seemed "desperate" in my early 20s. Girls backed far away from me.

Elliot Rodger killed because there was some kind of narcissistic psychosis going on with him. Something that was not compatible with living in the real world. Not because he had Asperger's.

It's like saying Ted Kaczyinski sent all those bombs because he had Asperger's, rather than an extreme paranoiac psychosis. He was quite an intelligent man with quite a mental illness.

There was something going on with Rodger and Kaczyinski which went well beyond Asperger's, and well beyond feeling rejected.

And well beyond the "troubles" of men here who feel frustrated and rejected.

The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2018, 10:20 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
She wanted to point out that Rodger has no relation to the guys here. Nobody here is like Elliot Rodger, whatsoever.

Elliot Rodger killed because there was some kind of narcissistic psychosis going on with him. Something that was not compatible with living in the real world. Not because he had Asperger's.

There was something going on with Rodger and Kaczyinski which went well beyond Asperger's, and well beyond feeling rejected.

And well beyond the "troubles" of men here who feel frustrated and rejected.

Semantics maybe, but as a socially awkward Aspie who longed for female companionship, his desires, struggles and frustrations were likely similar to many of the members here. Myself included. The difference of course being he was prepared lash out and take the lives of innocents on account of his frustrations.

I'm not sure if he had psychosis but it would be hard to argue that he wasn't a narcissist. If I were to guess, I'd imagine that his narcissism was probably linked to social isolation. When you're socially excluded, it can lead you to believe either the people who excluded you are too good for you, or you're too good for them. While I'd say most go with the former or draw no conclusion at all, Rodger went with the ego-saving latter option. It wouldn't surprise me if Rodger had complained to a family member about his social struggles and they'd reassured him by telling him he was too good for the people who excluded him.

A narcissist who's used to his ego being nurtured could conceivably react in self-righteous indignation when he doesn't get his way, especially when it's something with the magnitude of love and dating, and especially when he perceives that it's the birthright of everyone else but he, the 'superior specimen' must endure romantic and sexual starvation. Add this self-righteous indignation to his inability to form connections and probably a lack of strong connections to begin with, and I think it's pretty easy to see why we'd have a killing machine on our hands.

A lot of this is pure conjecture obviously, but when you piece it together, it does make sense.