Giving women gifts is desperate, but stopping is entitled?

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 11:35 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chronos wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Chronos wrote:
sly279 wrote:
What about women who expect a free meal or activity in exchange for a date?

If a person invites another person out somewhere, who is to pay often depends on the context and the phrasing of the invitation. Example...

"Would you go on a date with me?" Implication is asker pays.

"Do you want to go get some dinner/go see a movie?"
Both should be prepared to pay for themselves, but it's not unusual for the asker to pay for both in some situations.

"Do you want to go on a tour of Europe/to an expensive theme park with me?"
Payment should be discussed before hand.

It's true that western tradition holds that when a man asks a woman out on a date or what he hopes to be a date, he expects to pay and she expects him to pay because of it. You might find it upsetting that this idea exists but you will likely not get men to stop doing it because he is trying to woo her or worries that letting her pay will makw him look bad as a man. This is just the truth of our society whether we agree with it or not.

As for her, if she knows a man is attempting to woo her and she has no interest in him, she should decline the invitation.

sly279 wrote:
I’ve had women get upset cause to go to the park for a date. So they selling their time for free food or activity, when it should be both of us sharing our time to get to know each other and not about what one can get for their time.

Lady at work was gloating about how she was going on dates with a guy she has no interest in but he pays for dinner and activities. I was appalled but the women she was telling didn't seem to be. So I guess to her and them it’s fine to lead men on if they get something out of it. I can’t help but just feel sorry for the guy who likes her and probably thinks it’s going somewhere since he’s getting multiple dates with her.

What your coworker is doing is unethical.

Sorry I really don’t see it as any different then society use to feel thst paying for dinner meant men get sex after. It’s only that feminists have worked to make it not ok and have kept the whole men pays. How about this. Guy ask you out on a date, you accept which means you want to go on the date so you pay for yourself. The date is mutual. Unless you don’t like the guy in which case why would you go on a date?

A date is mutual shared between both people. Who asks first shouldn’t matter. Until then I’ll keep doing free dates but you avoided my question.

Do you think it’s ok for women to expect free meal or activity for echange of a date?

Atleast we agree on what she doing is wrong.

In my case, if a man were to ask me out to a restaurant, I would have no idea if he intends it to be a date or not and typically bring money to pay for myself, despite the fact that regardless of whether or not it's a date, men have always insisted on paying. It seems that many men thinks it makes them look bad when the woman pays.

One time a date insisted on me to go dutch (I paid her meals in the previous dates) - I said ok for this time.

Then on the next day she told me that guys who accept going dutch are stingy - it was a test.

She doesn't sound like a prize I would want to win if I were a straight man. Good riddance to her.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 3:38 am

Chronos wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Chronos wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Chronos wrote:
sly279 wrote:
What about women who expect a free meal or activity in exchange for a date?

If a person invites another person out somewhere, who is to pay often depends on the context and the phrasing of the invitation. Example...

"Would you go on a date with me?" Implication is asker pays.

"Do you want to go get some dinner/go see a movie?"
Both should be prepared to pay for themselves, but it's not unusual for the asker to pay for both in some situations.

"Do you want to go on a tour of Europe/to an expensive theme park with me?"
Payment should be discussed before hand.

It's true that western tradition holds that when a man asks a woman out on a date or what he hopes to be a date, he expects to pay and she expects him to pay because of it. You might find it upsetting that this idea exists but you will likely not get men to stop doing it because he is trying to woo her or worries that letting her pay will makw him look bad as a man. This is just the truth of our society whether we agree with it or not.

As for her, if she knows a man is attempting to woo her and she has no interest in him, she should decline the invitation.

sly279 wrote:
I’ve had women get upset cause to go to the park for a date. So they selling their time for free food or activity, when it should be both of us sharing our time to get to know each other and not about what one can get for their time.

Lady at work was gloating about how she was going on dates with a guy she has no interest in but he pays for dinner and activities. I was appalled but the women she was telling didn't seem to be. So I guess to her and them it’s fine to lead men on if they get something out of it. I can’t help but just feel sorry for the guy who likes her and probably thinks it’s going somewhere since he’s getting multiple dates with her.

What your coworker is doing is unethical.

Sorry I really don’t see it as any different then society use to feel thst paying for dinner meant men get sex after. It’s only that feminists have worked to make it not ok and have kept the whole men pays. How about this. Guy ask you out on a date, you accept which means you want to go on the date so you pay for yourself. The date is mutual. Unless you don’t like the guy in which case why would you go on a date?

A date is mutual shared between both people. Who asks first shouldn’t matter. Until then I’ll keep doing free dates but you avoided my question.

Do you think it’s ok for women to expect free meal or activity for echange of a date?

Atleast we agree on what she doing is wrong.

In my case, if a man were to ask me out to a restaurant, I would have no idea if he intends it to be a date or not and typically bring money to pay for myself, despite the fact that regardless of whether or not it's a date, men have always insisted on paying. It seems that many men thinks it makes them look bad when the woman pays.

One time a date insisted on me to go dutch (I paid her meals in the previous dates) - I said ok for this time.

Then on the next day she told me that guys who accept going dutch are stingy - it was a test.

She doesn't sound like a prize I would want to win if I were a straight man. Good riddance to her.

Exactly, problem is ....many women have a such belief.

There's also this extremely stupid social belief , which is very common among woman, is that if the bill is split , they no longer consider the tête-à-tête dinner as a date - or even a coffee setting. Like what else is it? A tête-à-tête "friendship dinner"?

The cheer amount of stupidity in this area is fascinating.

Aaendi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2018, 12:16 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Aaendi wrote:
Another problem with people telling me to "be nice to others without wanting anything in return." You can't choose to want something or not. You either want something or you don't. That's not how people's brains work.

I think its 'don't expect expect anything in return' wanting and expecting aren't the same thing. And there is some truth to it, of course you can't help what you want, but that doesn't mean you should expect to get everything you want. Also doing something with the sole purpose being getting what you want from someone else, is called manipulation.

Being 'nice' to a girl for the sole purpose of getting her to have sex with you would be manipulation for instance.

But there is no way of knowing if that's his sole intention or not, unless he makes it extremely obvious.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 7:23 pm

Aaendi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Aaendi wrote:
Another problem with people telling me to "be nice to others without wanting anything in return." You can't choose to want something or not. You either want something or you don't. That's not how people's brains work.

I think its 'don't expect expect anything in return' wanting and expecting aren't the same thing. And there is some truth to it, of course you can't help what you want, but that doesn't mean you should expect to get everything you want. Also doing something with the sole purpose being getting what you want from someone else, is called manipulation.

Being 'nice' to a girl for the sole purpose of getting her to have sex with you would be manipulation for instance.

But there is no way of knowing if that's his sole intention or not, unless he makes it extremely obvious.

Which will occur when the guy in question gets pissed at the girl in question, if she declines to have sex/consider him her boyfriend just because he was 'nice'. But yes a lot of times people may not initially realize someone has manipulative purposes but much of the time they find out.

Aaendi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2018, 9:38 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Aaendi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Aaendi wrote:

Which will occur when the guy in question gets pissed at the girl in question, if she declines to have sex/consider him her boyfriend just because he was 'nice'. But yes a lot of times people may not initially realize someone has manipulative purposes but much of the time they find out.

What if it's just a build up of emotions?

NorthWind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 4:07 am

Aaendi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Aaendi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Aaendi wrote:

Those emotions wouldn't built up if he doesn't feel like she owes him sex. You get angry with someone if you feel like they wronged you. If you feel like she wronged you because she doesn't have sex with you, then you feel entitled to sex. (he could get angry instead if she rejects him rudely or makes fun of him or lead him on (or he thinks she did) etc. but if the reason is simply that she doesn't have sex with him and not the how she rejected him, then yes he feels like she owes him sex for being nice)

Aaendi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2018, 7:41 am

NorthWind wrote:
Aaendi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Aaendi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Aaendi wrote:

Those emotions wouldn't built up if he doesn't feel like she owes him sex. You get angry with someone if you feel like they wronged you. If you feel like she wronged you because she doesn't have sex with you, then you feel entitled to sex. (he could get angry instead if she rejects him rudely or makes fun of him or lead him on (or he thinks she did) etc. but if the reason is simply that she doesn't have sex with him and not the how she rejected him, then yes he feels like she owes him sex for being nice)

I'm talking about a guy asking a girl out on a date. I get pissed off when women jump to the conclusion that I just want to date for sex.

...and no being pissed off does not mean that someone feels entitled or is owed something. Feeling entitled is the edge-case extreme, where the man continues to persue a woman after being told no repeatedly.

Aaendi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2018, 2:33 pm

Everybody knows that 99% of the time women reject men it's because they assume the man feels entitled to sex, and 99% of the time men are angry at women for assuming that.

NorthWind
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 2:48 pm

Aaendi wrote:
Everybody knows that 99% of the time women reject men it's because they assume the man feels entitled to sex, and 99% of the time men are angry at women for assuming that.

Most of the time women reject men they reject them because they're not attracted to this man and have no interest in dating him. It's as simple as that. They don't need to assume anything like that about him to not be interested in him. If he reacts angry to being rejected that may make them assume he feels entitled to sex though.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 3:20 pm

Aaendi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Aaendi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Aaendi wrote:

Still doesn't really justify someone getting actively angry at someone because they decline to date or have sex with them, that still makes it look like they were manipulating from the beginning, or at least after the wrong things. Its just very distasteful to get mad at someone because you put an expectation like that on them and they simply failed to follow along with what you wanted.

Also I don't mean you specifically, I am just generally speaking...just don't want to give the wrong idea that I am accusing you of that. Kind of hard to completely describe things in third person so yeah.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 22 Feb 2018, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2018, 3:34 pm

Aaendi wrote:
NorthWind wrote:
Aaendi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Aaendi wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Aaendi wrote:

I'm talking about a guy asking a girl out on a date. I get pissed off when women jump to the conclusion that I just want to date for sex.

...and no being pissed off does not mean that someone feels entitled or is owed something. Feeling entitled is the edge-case extreme, where the man continues to persue a woman after being told no repeatedly.

Well that's not really what I was talking about, asking a girl on a date isn't being misleading. I was talking about being 'nice' to a girl to 'get them to date or have sex'...and then being pissed off at them if they decline on the basis of you were being 'nice' so they should accept. Doesn't seem like what you are describing. It would be reasonable to be angry if someone jumps to the conclusion you just want sex if you really don't. I was specifically describing anger at someone because they don't reciprocate ones 'niceness' in the way that was expected by the person being 'nice'.

Aaendi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2018, 5:13 pm

Quote:
Also I don't mean you specifically, I am just generally speaking...just don't want to give the wrong idea that I am accusing you of that. Kind of hard to completely describe things in third person so yeah.

Yeah, I get what you mean.