Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

insertgenericlewdcomment
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Feb 2018, 2:32 pm

assuming fitness and other qualifiers, would a high functioning/aspergers diagnosis prevent me from joining the marines or army and training as an IEDD or EOD?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 12:45 am

If it’s on your medical records then yes they wont even consider taking you.

I’ve tried multiple branches. It’s a DOD policy
Unfortunately

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 10:52 am

I was in a relationship with a young lady who I believe was an undiagnosed aspie. Later on, she joined the military, but back then ASD (apart from diagnosed, more-or-less obvious symptoms) was probably not something they would have looked for (plus the military was having some trouble attracting recruits at that time). I have often wondered if she would have had trouble had she tried to enlist nowadays.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 2:05 pm

MaxE wrote:
I was in a relationship with a young lady who I believe was an undiagnosed aspie. Later on, she joined the military, but back then ASD (apart from diagnosed, more-or-less obvious symptoms) was probably not something they would have looked for (plus the military was having some trouble attracting recruits at that time). I have often wondered if she would have had trouble had she tried to enlist nowadays.

I’d absolutely go on noticed, they’d just think I’m shy and weird. People are shocked when I tell them I’m an aspie. Which is what makes my problems harder, as people just think I’m lazy or creepy. The military is all about structure, policy,routine. It sounds like heaven. They’d provide me a bed, regular food, tell me where to go and when, provide me with social guidelines(saluting, proper conduct etc) scheduled activities. Probably why many aspies have thrived in the military including navy seals.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 2:43 pm

The military can be extremely chaotic and unpredictable. Not to mention loud.

I was nearly tossed out after getting DXed with ASD.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 2:49 pm

If you live outside the country that everyone assume you live in, there are options.

However, have you checked if you are cut out for that type of life? Do that before applying for such a job.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 2:33 pm

If you like in United States, you can apply for a waiver at MEPS

Waivers are not always granted. Sometimes

Other countries have different official policies

robbrucejr
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Mar 2018, 7:59 pm

I spent over 10 years in the Army, as a forward observer (13F E-6) and later became a Warrant Officer (153A rotary wing aviator), then spent another 3 years as a DoD contractor at the Army SERE School. I was not diagnosed until after I was out. However, it was the perfect environment for me. Tons of structure, I didn't have to think about what to eat, wear, etc. Social expectations were clearly codified; for example, you greet an officer with a salute from a set distance, and you stand at parade rest around superior NCO's. There were endless volumes of manuals about doctrine, procedures, etc. I absolutely excelled as a Soldier, my identity and value was based on merit and adherence to the rules and values of the Army. Plus, I got paid to blow things up and fly helicopters. You can't beat that with a stick. I had a really, really hard time adjusting to the civilian world, which ultimately led to my diagnosis. If it weren't for other health factors beyond my control, I'd probably still be in and happy as a lark. There were some occasional issues with authority, and sensory problems, but I learned more about how to overcome those challenges in the Army than I ever would have outside it.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 3:16 am

robbrucejr wrote:
I spent over 10 years in the Army, as a forward observer (13F E-6) and later became a Warrant Officer (153A rotary wing aviator), then spent another 3 years as a DoD contractor at the Army SERE School. I was not diagnosed until after I was out. However, it was the perfect environment for me. Tons of structure, I didn't have to think about what to eat, wear, etc. Social expectations were clearly codified; for example, you greet an officer with a salute from a set distance, and you stand at parade rest around superior NCO's. There were endless volumes of manuals about doctrine, procedures, etc. I absolutely excelled as a Soldier, my identity and value was based on merit and adherence to the rules and values of the Army. Plus, I got paid to blow things up and fly helicopters. You can't beat that with a stick. I had a really, really hard time adjusting to the civilian world, which ultimately led to my diagnosis. If it weren't for other health factors beyond my control, I'd probably still be in and happy as a lark. There were some occasional issues with authority, and sensory problems, but I learned more about how to overcome those challenges in the Army than I ever would have outside it.

I had a mixed experience as a civilian employee. I had 2 good managers and 2 really crap ones. Major problem i had was that people with no skill in a specific area started meddling with what i did because they wanted to do compliance checkbox ticking. Also, most military people were totally unable to grasp that cyber security has no analogues to bullets flying around, their brains are stuck in the physical world.

You can't just bomb the s**t out of someone who may be hiding behind a number of hosts in a few unrelated countries to cover their tracks. When you work with IT-security operationally and see s**t going on and are surrounded by compliance idiots who never even have fired up TCPDump, you get more and more tired. Eventually i left because i didn't want to eat Atarax for the rest of my life...

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 3:44 am

I am a retired Master Sergeant. I very much enjoyed my time in the military. Keep your ASD to yourself and you should do fine.

And remember, if you are EOD and see your coworker running, try to keep up. :skull: :ninja:

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 1:20 pm

IEDD is short for Improvised Explosive Device Disposal. I can see this occupation at one of the extremes of stress. If you can handle extreme stress, have learned to become fearless and are good with your hands, this might be a good occupation. But most Aspies might find these traits fairly challenging.