Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 12:29 am

I've been thinking the last couple of days, since in the process of planning my education, I've been looking far into the future. I wanted to find motivation in what my ideal future life looks like.
My conclusion was something like this:

Get my degree, and become highly skilled within my field.
Buy a house
Buy 2 or more dogs
Build a home studio
Get to see the world, bit by bit

My ideal day, would be coming home from a great day at work, being greeted by my dogs. On a weekend off, I would want to spend all day recording in my pyjamas in a decent home studio I've built myself.

I guess this thread could also be called "future goals" or something like that. But this was the result of thinking about the meaning of life for a long time. That question got me nowhere, so instead I started thinking about what kind of life would be enjoyable. It might be crucial for some people, to have very concrete reasons for striving, since life can be difficult.

So WP, what does your ideal life look like? And will you strive to attain it?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 1:42 am

My ideal is to be able to travel the world.

I also want to buy an RV, and travel the US.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 1:50 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
My ideal is to be able to travel the world.

I also want to buy an RV, and travel the US.

That certainly doesn't sound too bad either. :)

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 5:18 am

How unrealistic am I allowed to be here? My ideal life isn't completely impossible for me to achieve and I'm working towards it, but getting it is unlikely. Should I tell the ideal but unlikely version or the version that wouldn't be so close to what I want but would still make me happy and would be more realistic? :?

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 5:40 am

Fireblossom wrote:
How unrealistic am I allowed to be here? My ideal life isn't completely impossible for me to achieve and I'm working towards it, but getting it is unlikely. Should I tell the ideal but unlikely version or the version that wouldn't be so close to what I want but would still make me happy and would be more realistic? :?

That's up to you. But I think for myself, I want to strive towards an ideal that is also attainable, otherwise the ideal itself is not ideal.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 6:07 am

Lets see:

* A house in the countryside, near a city so it is still possible to commute.

* A bike license (MC körkort), i really would like driving something smaller. Or a smaller car perhaps. (Never bothered getting a drivers license).

* A job with a good manager, fun coworkers and ability to work from home (kinda hard in security when everything is sensitive).

* A younger girlfriend, 25-ish something who isn't "destroyed" yet by society, does not have kids (and does not want them) and does not have debt "coming out of her ears". I want love and not another problem.

* Travel some more and see some more countries, go back to some i've visited and see places i missed (Bletchley Park) and also do more city exploration as well as trail hiking. I love being flown to a city where there is a meeting or a course, then exploring the city in the evening or during segments i do not need to attend.

* I want my energy back, it's partially returning after being mistreated by some psychopath managers at my last job.

But most of all - i want peace and quiet around me. Low stress, no noises in the night, no idiots driving past with cars pumping out music with bass set to maximum.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 7:41 am

Closet Genious wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:

That's up to you. But I think for myself, I want to strive towards an ideal that is also attainable, otherwise the ideal itself is not ideal.

Well neither is impossible, but I suppose I'll go with the one that is far more likely.

First of all, I'd like a fulltime job. Something with regular working hours that are a little flexible in case I need to go see a doctor or something. Something that is not too hard, but not too easy either so that I won't get bored.

Ideally, I'd like to have a husband and two or three kids. We'd live in a house that'd be big enough for our family; small rooms for each of our kids, bedroom for me and my husband and a small "office" for me that would be only my space, a place where I can do my own things and get my thoughts together. Of course the house would have the basic living spaces like living room, kitchen, few bathrooms and a sauna, too. A quest room would be a nice bonus. A garage where my husband had his car would be necessary so that we could visit my parents, for there is not public transportation to where they live.
And of course, the house would be located in a small town near the basics like a grocery store so that I wouldn't need to use a bus just to buy the bread I forgot the day before, but also in a place where the public transportation is good enough that I can easily get to a bigger city.

My ideal day in this kind of life... go to work, after it get the kids from daycare when they're still that small, take some time to listen about their day, cook dinner and have it together as a family (unless my husband gets out of work earlier than me, then he'd be doing these things), clean things up and play with the kids (plus husband) a while. Then the kids would go to do whatever kids do and my husband and I would take turns with housework. When it's my turn I handle the dishes and such while he gets to do what he wants and the other way around when it's his turn to do the housework... you know, just ordinary family life. Apparently many young people (people my age) frown upon the idea these days, but this kind of life is something I'd want and what I do believe I can get... if I can find a man, that is.

Of course we'd travel and do some special things from time to time, too. And sometimes I'd want a day just to myself, with my husband taking care of the kids and I would only have to worry about what I want and need. We'd also arrange time for us as a couple from time to time, like drop the kids to my (or his) mom's place in the morning and do things with just the two of us for a whole day (or even a weekend.) We could go to movies, take long walks, play games... whatever we want.

...Does this sound cliche or something? Too ambtious? Too unrealistic? 'Cause sometimes I wonder if I'm too much of a hopeless romantic.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 7:53 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:
Fireblossom wrote:

Well neither is impossible, but I suppose I'll go with the one that is far more likely.

First of all, I'd like a fulltime job. Something with regular working hours that are a little flexible in case I need to go see a doctor or something. Something that is not too hard, but not too easy either so that I won't get bored.

Ideally, I'd like to have a husband and two or three kids. We'd live in a house that'd be big enough for our family; small rooms for each of our kids, bedroom for me and my husband and a small "office" for me that would be only my space, a place where I can do my own things and get my thoughts together. Of course the house would have the basic living spaces like living room, kitchen, few bathrooms and a sauna, too. A quest room would be a nice bonus. A garage where my husband had his car would be necessary so that we could visit my parents, for there is not public transportation to where they live.
And of course, the house would be located in a small town near the basics like a grocery store so that I wouldn't need to use a bus just to buy the bread I forgot the day before, but also in a place where the public transportation is good enough that I can easily get to a bigger city.

My ideal day in this kind of life... go to work, after it get the kids from daycare when they're still that small, take some time to listen about their day, cook dinner and have it together as a family (unless my husband gets out of work earlier than me, then he'd be doing these things), clean things up and play with the kids (plus husband) a while. Then the kids would go to do whatever kids do and my husband and I would take turns with housework. When it's my turn I handle the dishes and such while he gets to do what he wants and the other way around when it's his turn to do the housework... you know, just ordinary family life. Apparently many young people (people my age) frown upon the idea these days, but this kind of life is something I'd want and what I do believe I can get... if I can find a man, that is.

Of course we'd travel and do some special things from time to time, too. And sometimes I'd want a day just to myself, with my husband taking care of the kids and I would only have to worry about what I want and need. We'd also arrange time for us as a couple from time to time, like drop the kids to my (or his) mom's place in the morning and do things with just the two of us for a whole day (or even a weekend.) We could go to movies, take long walks, play games... whatever we want.

...Does this sound cliche or something? Too ambtious? Too unrealistic? 'Cause sometimes I wonder if I'm too much of a hopeless romantic.

Slightly cliche maybe, but perfectly reasonable. I don't think you're much more hopeless than the average person. :)

I am curious though, what is your other, more unattainable vision?

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 10:50 am

My ideal life...

An acre or so outside of the town I live in where I can build a cabin and a shop, have a garden, fruit trees, and chickens.

Get back to myself/my interests, music, martial arts.

Build a forge and learn how to forge metal. Started on this before, but needed to modify my forced air system.

Would like to start converting vehicles to electric, build my own electric motors, experiment with new designs.

Basically have my mad scientist lab so I can work on projects.

Have/develop some source of income to support all of this. (Have quite a few ideas about that as well)

Would also like to do more traveling.

So, I guess in other words, an income and a place to live so I can do what I do.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 11:30 am

Closet Genious wrote:

Pretty much the same as above, except with more income and a bit... fancier lifestyle in general. You see, I dream of being a novelist and having my novels as my main source of income. While it's not really that unrealistic that I could some day get a book or two published, being able to sell enough to make a living, not to mention finance a luxurious life style with it, is highly unlikely. Not impossible, but very, very unlikely. If I could do this then my family and I could also travel a lot. It'd never be a matter of when can we afford it, just a matter of when do we have time for it. We could have a fancier house too, one with a pool inside even. That'd be super cool... and super unlikely, but that doesn't stop me from dreaming and doing my best to achieve that dream.

Not that my dream of being a novelist is just about money. I really enjoy writing, so having that as my job would really be a dream come true. Also, if my books sold really well then the chances I'd actually have some fans of my own would be rather high. I haven't experienced it so I can't know for sure, but I think the feeling of knowing that there's someone who really admires your work is a really nice one. I'd like to experience that feeling. And if we go down a really unrealistic yet still not completely impossible road, it'd be really cool if some of my favorite authors became fans of my books. :D

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 11:40 am

Well, let's see.

A subsidized studio or one bedroom apartment with all amenities included.
A recording studio section of my studio.
Noise-proofed so the neighbors don't call the police.
A nice desk for writing my books.
A safe neighborhood where I can go for walks without dogs chasing me.
A small town will all kinds of restaurants.
A small town devoid of racists and other hateful people.
A small town with parks galore.
A small town with bars that feature bands at night.
A small town with art studios, movie theatres and acting/performance houses.
A small town devoid of small-minded people.
A small town where GLBTQ folks are accepted.
A small town where diversity is celebrated.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 12:09 pm

my ideal life would be to win a gigantic amount in the lottery so I would never have to worry about finances, and get a bigger place and spend all my time divided between family and special interests.

And I would go see "my" wolves and I would like to volunteer for turtles somewhere (no specific view on where, but somewhere safe)

and I would get a new turtle pet :heart:

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 12:09 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
Closet Genious wrote:

Pretty much the same as above, except with more income and a bit... fancier lifestyle in general. You see, I dream of being a novelist and having my novels as my main source of income. While it's not really that unrealistic that I could some day get a book or two published, being able to sell enough to make a living, not to mention finance a luxurious life style with it, is highly unlikely. Not impossible, but very, very unlikely. If I could do this then my family and I could also travel a lot. It'd never be a matter of when can we afford it, just a matter of when do we have time for it. We could have a fancier house too, one with a pool inside even. That'd be super cool... and super unlikely, but that doesn't stop me from dreaming and doing my best to achieve that dream.

Not that my dream of being a novelist is just about money. I really enjoy writing, so having that as my job would really be a dream come true. Also, if my books sold really well then the chances I'd actually have some fans of my own would be rather high. I haven't experienced it so I can't know for sure, but I think the feeling of knowing that there's someone who really admires your work is a really nice one. I'd like to experience that feeling. And if we go down a really unrealistic yet still not completely impossible road, it'd be really cool if some of my favorite authors became fans of my books. :D

Maybe it's a bit assumptive of me, but I reckon most people wouldn't mind an indoor pool. :)

It's perfectly fine to have dreams, as long as you're capable of being happy if they don't come true. I'd love to be the next quincy jones, but I've seen way too many bitter musicians and producers to put all my eggs in that basket.

The good thing about writing though, is that you can keep writing the rest of your life, regardless of you "making it" or not.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 1:04 pm

My ideal life would be me living in a house out in the country with a boyfreind I feel comfortable around. Boyfriend would have a car. I would listen to music and smoke pot all day. It would be good if boyfrind played guitar and we went to bars in the evening with live bands.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 1:36 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
Maybe it's a bit assumptive of me, but I reckon most people wouldn't mind an indoor pool. :)

It's perfectly fine to have dreams, as long as you're capable of being happy if they don't come true. I'd love to be the next quincy jones, but I've seen way too many bitter musicians and producers to put all my eggs in that basket.

The good thing about writing though, is that you can keep writing the rest of your life, regardless of you "making it" or not.

True. :lol:

Sure am. With the way I see it, dreams are what keep pushing people forward, but the small every day things that one likes are the things that create the small moments of happiness. Besides, if I do reach this goal I'll most likely come up with something else after it. I'm greedy like that. :mrgreen:

True true, already publishing some in the internet. If I never get anything published I'll probably start my own website at some point where I publish my stories chapter by chapter and try to get readers that way. Wouldn't bring me money, but I might be able to get fans and so get to experience "that feeling."

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 4:30 pm

I’d win the lottery. Rent a small house, buy a car, truck and guns. I’d probably move to Indiana so I can have a pet fox. Maybe meet a lady online who’d put up with me in exchange for being provided for, if not I’d just live alone with my fox and travel to shooting classes.

So I buy a ticket when it’s gets ver 10 million.

If you mean something that will likely happen, I have nothing given how hopeless my situation is.
I use to but it’s been made clear to me even my minimalistic ideas are impossible.