Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Suffolklad
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Feb 2018, 12:29 am

Hello guys I finally plucked up the courage to go to a local doctor and ask for help. I am 34 and have been told in the past I show signs of aspergers. I believe I show a lot of the symptoms and took the online test where I scored 36 out of 50 I went to the doctors yesterday and was given a name of a psychologist which I knew would happen but as I am in New Zealand and not a citizen the treatments aren't on offer to me and the psychologist charges $200 an hour which as a backpacker is ALOT does anyone have any advice or if you are also in New Zealand can you recommend any thing. Thanks guys

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 11:54 pm

If you haven't yet, you may want to consider what diagnosis would actually accomplish.
Would you get any benefits currently inaccessible to you? Could there be disadvantages (besides cost) to getting a diagnosis?

However it goes, I wish you good luck.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 12:41 am

Will a diagnosis from a psychologist in a foreign country be accepted in your country, for what ever you’re trying to accomplish?

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 3:02 am

Suffolklad wrote:
Hello guys I finally plucked up the courage to go to a local doctor and ask for help. I am 34 and have been told in the past I show signs of aspergers. I believe I show a lot of the symptoms and took the online test where I scored 36 out of 50 I went to the doctors yesterday and was given a name of a psychologist which I knew would happen but as I am in New Zealand and not a citizen the treatments aren't on offer to me and the psychologist charges $200 an hour which as a backpacker is ALOT does anyone have any advice or if you are also in New Zealand can you recommend any thing. Thanks guys

Can't help with the NZ part but I am also a british male who scored around the same on the test as you and who went for diagnosis around the age you are.

Good luck on your self discovery whatever it may bring

Suffolklad
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Feb 2018, 3:13 am

Hi how do you cope then are there any techniques etc DIET EXERCISE things like that

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 8:26 am

Regular excercisr and good diet promote good general health, physical and mental. This gives you the best start for dealing with any extra work or hassles.

If you are on extended travels then it may be most useful to do your research on the autism spectrum in its various forms and also looking back over your history and your own strengths and blind spots.

Extended travels and working your way will throw lots of interesting situations your way, and the ways you sort those will teach you a lot about yourself.

It occurs to me that you may return from your travels with a lot of information and self knowledge to inform any decision to seek assessment, and a lot of information which you can bring to any assessment as an evidence file.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 8:47 am

Are you from Suffolk, you could look into getting your name down on a waiting list in the UK for an assessment with your New Zealand referral because the waiting lists are very long for adults, around a year, nearer two in London. The best research/help you can get is simply talking with other Aspies. WP has been my main support on this issue since my assessment in Aug 2017.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 9:04 am

Suffolklad wrote:
Hi how do you cope then are there any techniques etc DIET EXERCISE things like that

The best thing for most Aspies would be to priorities dealing/helping with anxiety. Every time I make a decision now I go with what leeds to the least anxiety for me in the long term. Even my obsessive behavour, I now accept because I see it as a coping mechanism for my anxiety. Side effect-less anxious-less obsessive.

You've probably already worked out some of the answers. Extra detailed planning. Focusing on one thing at a time. Doing things in your own way despite everyone else telling you it's wrong. Not comparing to other people because your life is happening on a much slower track to everyone else. Avoiding groups.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 10:07 am

Suffolklad wrote:

I have always seen excersise as important to keeping me feel better in my mind, though as a runner I used to get frustrated and worked up if I didn't run as far as I planned or as quick as I wanted. I would have a fixed time or distance in mind and anything other than that would have me so worked up as to not be helpful. Kind of makes more sense since the diagnosis I guess! :lol:

Last summer I took up weight lifting and do it 5/6 days a week. It's more stable, more reliable, makes me focus on diet too and I can see the results clearly. It also helps me sleep well every night which I am historically very bad at.

Getting yourself into a good enjoyable exercise routine can be quite the life changer

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 11:29 pm

Suffolklad wrote:

Since not everyone on the spectrum has the same issues, would you mind disclosing your specific concerns?
Exercise & a good diet are almost obligatory recommendations for everyone, but more pointed advice may be appropriate.

For example, if you have sound sensitivity, jogging in a noisy environment isn't going to be as ataractic as a good pair of earplugs.

Suffolklad
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Feb 2018, 1:07 am

My main signs are the main one are I find it very hard to make eye contact i struggle when it comes to social occasions as in I don't seem to relate to a lot of people. I always feel isolated, left out and alone. When I meet people I get very clingy very quickly which is off putting
Plus other things as in if my routine is disturbed I struggle aswell as when it comes to copying with things in everyday life I panic. My memory is shocking I find it hard to concentrate. I also don't seem to have a lot of interest in doing things even tho I want to I struggle to get motivated it's been the same my whole life. That sort of things which I have been told by professionals and also on official medical websites are symptoms and I scored 36/50 on the online aspergers test.