Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 10:29 am

I feel like I'm being suffocated... I have no job on SSI and my husband's SSI hearing according to social security isn't going to be until 2019. So I want a job because I'm tired of our limited income... But nobody is understanding I need to apply all over the country because my skills are so specialized and they expect me to be happy and just stay here and buy this trailer. My uncle doesn't even think I should work but all I do all day is be bored and cook. Over the last couple years I was hired twice so it isn't impossible but both jobs failed before they started because I didn't have the finances... The first one because I needed a good vehicle I couldn't get and was having trouble moving out of state and the second because I couldn't pay for training I needed. If I wanted to go back to college I couldn't even pay for my GRE test.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 5:31 pm

I was wondering what happened to that job with the autism place. It seemed like a good fit for you.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 5:49 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I was wondering what happened to that job with the autism place. It seemed like a good fit for you.

That job required some CPR training I didn't have the money for then it turned out that the mobile hotspot idea for the computer training wasn't going to work either.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 5:52 pm

That friggin' sucks!

I'm guessing you're in northern Michigan, perhaps the UP?

I don't know why I get this impression.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 6:01 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
That friggin' sucks!

I'm guessing you're in northern Michigan, perhaps the UP?

I don't know why I get this impression.

Wrong! I'm near Battle Creek for the moment but it's unpredictable how long, lol

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 6:09 pm

That was where Kellogg’s cereals were founded.

I guess the only thing you can do is to "keep plugging away."

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 2:42 pm

Looks like you need to find some work a bit closer to where you live right now, maybe save up some funds...then you might have more means to look to moving out of state, or getting a decent vehicle so you could potentially get something further away. I mean sure maybe you won't find something that is your specific skill set nearby...but you could probably get some kind of entry level work. Also if you are getting SSI perhaps try putting some of that away, to build up a little savings. Like budget how much you need for bills and necessities and try to save the rest.

Also I think you should apply for subsidized housing or something, might take around a year for anything to open up, but then you could live somewhere while paying like 30% of your SSI for rent while the state subsidizes the rest, might not be a particularly nice place but it would be away from your Uncle. I can't quite remember how, to apply but it should be easy to look up.

I mean sounds like right now you are applying to jobs that you don't have the means or resources to get to, I mean what good does it do to apply to some job that fits your skill set in another state, if you can't even get there?

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 6:46 pm

Getting a licence and a vehicle would be the best thing I could ever hope for, since there seem to be an abundance of driving jobs such as bus driver, taxi, delivery drivers, couriers, such jobs that don't require as much customer interaction that I won't excel at because of my personality, appearance and social issues. That will never happen as I need a lot of money for a vehicle + other essentials that come with it, however I have never driven before and still in my mid-20s so dunno how hard it is to drive, apart from experience in gaming.

Without the ability to drive, my options are limited to the exact area I live in because I can't afford transport and the most reasonable distance I can travel is 1 mile walking from my home which can be made more difficult if the job involves manual handling or a certain level of fitness.

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 7:41 pm

I actually had two local jobs send me messages today they looked at my resume acoording to indeed so they are looking at least! Both receptionist jobs, the vet clinic might be more likely to hire me, but it is a 45 minute one way commute... The other one is much closer but would a dental clinic hire someone with bad teeth lol.