Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 12:19 pm

This is one of Canada's biggest shames right now. I can't help but feel his death is equivalent to every young black kid gunned down by a white guy in America, as it's pretty much the same damned thing. I find it hard to believe that a gun, found to be in perfect working order, accidentally went off while aimed at the head of this young man. Understandably, family, friends, and the Native population are PISSED at the verdict that the old white farmer that killed him was found not guilty.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/video/al ... vi-BBIWbyY

"In this day and age, when someone can get away with killing somebody, when someone can get away with saying, 'I accidentally walked to the storage shed, I accidentally grabbed a gun out of the storage box and I accidentally walked back to the car and then I accidentally raised my arm in level with the late Colten Boushie's head, then my finger accidentally pushed the trigger' – what a bunch of garbage," said Cameron before tightly-packed crowd. (Bobby Cameron is the chief of the Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations.)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 3:19 am

The usual conservative counter-argument is that native Americans (or blacks) are over-represented in crime statistics so the judge naturally felt the old man felt threatened enough to (in his mind) justify firing the shot given the perceived risk.

It's the same reason most police are not charged for killing black youth while on patrol or why the bogus vigilante George Zimmerman (remember him) was not charged because the jury were sympathetic that a black youth wandering in a white neighborhood could be a danger to little white kids.

Of course nobody will admit this...

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 4:20 pm

Just read this:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/sask ... -1.4520214

If it was an accident, why would you go and lock up & hide the weapon that "accidentally," went off that you didn't just murder someone with? :?

Even that act shouts "GUILTY!" to me. :evil:

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 5:53 pm

I can understand being concerned by those trespassers who got out of their vehicle and started playing with the residents vehicles. But Colten never got out. And how was the handgun and its ammo stored, that it was so readily accessible? In Canada it’s okay to protect yourself, not attack or to shoot to protect property.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 3:26 pm

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/colten- ... -1.4530721

This is pretty much Canada's Trayvon Martin vs. George Zimmerman moment, but I feel like Canada has a better chance at actually making some sort of progressive positive change out of it.