England thinks US prison too cruel for AS

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 3:13 am

Sandpiper wrote:
This.....

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/17/britain-prison-crisis-facing-meltdown-gangs-drugs-violence

.....suggests some of our English prisons are actually pretty appalling places and have partly become dumping grounds for people with severe mental health issues.

due to conservative gov't budget cuts?

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 3:16 am

League_Girl wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/2/7/1739553/-U-S-prison-conditions-are-so-bad-Britain-s-putting-a-hold-on-some-extraditions?detail=emaildkre

A hacker has successfully fought extradition for five years based on cruel and inhumane conditions in the US.

I saw a documentary on crime in the U.K. once....the police brought people tea after they put them in their cell. I do think in the UK they treat inmates a little more like people. then again, here in the U.S. we have some horribly violent gangs of the likes that don't exist in the U.K.

I saw their prisons on a documentary and I couldn't believe how comfortable their prisons are and they basically have rooms and video games in cells?

Our prisons are harsh. That is because we believe criminals shouldn't be given freedom.

I think it is only Category C & D prisons that can have video games, and you have to do a lot as an inmate to earn the right to have them

Is this for the UK?

Yes. We have 4 types of prisons here depending on the crimes committed and risk of escape.

Cat D are 'open prisons' where prisoners can leave the prison in the daytime to go to work.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 4:44 am

Biscuitman wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/2/7/1739553/-U-S-prison-conditions-are-so-bad-Britain-s-putting-a-hold-on-some-extraditions?detail=emaildkre

A hacker has successfully fought extradition for five years based on cruel and inhumane conditions in the US.

I saw a documentary on crime in the U.K. once....the police brought people tea after they put them in their cell. I do think in the UK they treat inmates a little more like people. then again, here in the U.S. we have some horribly violent gangs of the likes that don't exist in the U.K.

I saw their prisons on a documentary and I couldn't believe how comfortable their prisons are and they basically have rooms and video games in cells?

Our prisons are harsh. That is because we believe criminals shouldn't be given freedom.

I think it is only Category C & D prisons that can have video games, and you have to do a lot as an inmate to earn the right to have them

Is this for the UK?

Yes. We have 4 types of prisons here depending on the crimes committed and risk of escape.

Cat D are 'open prisons' where prisoners can leave the prison in the daytime to go to work.

We have those in the U.S. but they aren't called prisons. They arw called work release programs. I seem to recall that aome prisons in either Ireland or Norther Ireland let prisoners go home for the Christmas holiday. That is extremely strange by American standards.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 6:08 am

Chronos wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

Is this for the UK?

We have those in the U.S. but they aren't called prisons. They arw called work release programs. I seem to recall that aome prisons in either Ireland or Norther Ireland let prisoners go home for the Christmas holiday. That is extremely strange by American standards.

UK Cat D prisons offer that. Usually only to those very near the end of their sentence and only for prisoners who already get day release and have proven to behave well on that.

Cat D is about preparing people to reintegrate into society to help drive down re-offending.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 11:50 am

My mother was a social worker working in a secure mental health hospital. Most the patients there were transferred from prisons. Many had been given no help in prison and sometimes taken advantage of by other prisoners and staff. They could be held indefinitely in this mental hospital, depending on the whim of the staff there. Fortunately this hospital was a fairly nice for a place of confinement. But still, they had little freedom. And many were very sick, had been abused as children etc. Upon return to prison she said it wasn't unusual for the prisoners to have no time reduced from their prison sentence. And so they would still have to serve the rest of their sentence, and be labelled a nutcase by the other inmates, and get little help once again.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Feb 2018, 12:57 pm

auntblabby wrote:
due to conservative gov't budget cuts?

That's certainly a factor, but whilst the last Labour government put a lot of extra money into the criminal justice system, they also locked up a lot more people leading to overcrowding in prisons. The incoming Conservative government then made considerable budget cuts reducing staffing levels and resulting in many prison officers leaving the profession. A recent recruiting drive has not done much to make up the deficit. Continual personnel changes within the Ministry of Justice also mean that there is little long term planning or stability. We apparently now have the highest imprisonment rate in Western Europe and a large proportion of those imprisoned seem to have serious mental health problems which is hardly surprising given the s**t society we live in.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:21 pm

SH90 wrote:
We should bring back public hangings and use it.

MPHGA!

There were plenty of public hangings in my part of the country (the Pacific Northwest) in the 19th and early 20th centuries - both by legal authorities and lynch mobs - and it still didn't discourage crime.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 2:23 am

that doesn't stop righties from doubling down on what demonstrably is counterproductive, because somebody is getting rich off of it.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2018, 6:24 am

Biscuitman wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Biscuitman wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

Is this for the UK?

UK Cat D prisons offer that. Usually only to those very near the end of their sentence and only for prisoners who already get day release and have proven to behave well on that.

Cat D is about preparing people to reintegrate into society to help drive down re-offending.

In the U.S. there are "halfway houses".