England thinks US prison too cruel for AS

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 1:19 pm

https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/2 ... =emaildkre

A hacker has successfully fought extradition for five years based on cruel and inhumane conditions in the US.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 3:37 pm

I would tend to agree with that.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 9:01 pm

The US prisons are bad for NTs too. Studies has shown it changes the wiring of your brain and the adult become non funtional in society when released so that is why so many of them end up back in prison.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 9:13 pm

amuuurica is not a civilized place.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 5:44 am

Dear_one wrote:
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/2/7/1739553/-U-S-prison-conditions-are-so-bad-Britain-s-putting-a-hold-on-some-extraditions?detail=emaildkre

A hacker has successfully fought extradition for five years based on cruel and inhumane conditions in the US.

I saw a documentary on crime in the U.K. once....the police brought people tea after they put them in their cell. I do think in the UK they treat inmates a little more like people. then again, here in the U.S. we have some horribly violent gangs of the likes that don't exist in the U.K.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:38 am

Chronos wrote:
I saw a documentary on crime in the U.K. once....the police brought people tea after they put them in their cell. I do think in the UK they treat inmates a little more like people. then again, here in the U.S. we have some horribly violent gangs of the likes that don't exist in the U.K.

I think the gangs are caused by the bad policing, in a deadly spiral. In Norway, prisoners are treated very well, and offered help for the problems that drove them to crime. Few re-offend. The justice system in the US is in such tatters it must feel like every man for himself, and maybe his gang. In parts of Central America, young men have to join one, or be the target of all.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 12:52 am

Chronos wrote:
Dear_one wrote:
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2018/2/7/1739553/-U-S-prison-conditions-are-so-bad-Britain-s-putting-a-hold-on-some-extraditions?detail=emaildkre

I saw their prisons on a documentary and I couldn't believe how comfortable their prisons are and they basically have rooms and video games in cells?

Our prisons are harsh. That is because we believe criminals shouldn't be given freedom.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 12:55 am

We should bring back public hangings and use it.

MPHGA!

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 1:13 am

^ ah yes, i too reminisce about the 8th century! :)

Dear_one wrote:
In Norway, prisoners are treated very well, and offered help for the problems that drove them to crime. Few re-offend.

i appreciate norway's willingness to treat the inmates' root problem and focus on rehabilitation in general instead of merely punishing the crime, but when it comes to "people" like breivik who took 77 lives and have the gall to ask for the newest PlayStation in their cell....i get the impression that they are too cushy.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 2:00 am

Dear_one wrote:
Chronos wrote:

I think the gangs are caused by the bad policing, in a deadly spiral. In Norway, prisoners are treated very well, and offered help for the problems that drove them to crime. Few re-offend. The justice system in the US is in such tatters it must feel like every man for himself, and maybe his gang. In parts of Central America, young men have to join one, or be the target of all.

The birth and growth of street gangs in the United States is an interesting and complex subject. The most infamous gangs in the U.S....the Bloods, Crips, and MS13 all started out as groups of youth who felt a need to defend themselves and their neighborhoods from neighboring groups of youth who were often a different race or ethnicity but not always. So in some sense, it does relate to poor policing....or rather, the failure of police to provide residents of the low income areas in which these gangs formed, such as Compton, Watts, and South (Central) Los Angeles, a sense of security, but not entirely, as youth seem to tend to feel themselves at odds with police for the mere fact that police are authority figures.

I've seen a gang form in my own home town. It started out as groups of neighborhood boys playing and hanging around as kids do. As these boys got older, they became a little rebellious as many boys do, being a nuisance and having the police called on them, drinking beer under age, smoking cigarettes and pot and I have no doubt some of them started selling it. Then they started with the spray paint, tagging out of the way places that theoretically, no one cared about. At this point they had morphed into a tag crew and they were now young men. It wasn't long before they clashed with another similar group of boys and temper flared and a cycle of revenge was started. There were some brutal fights with felony charges, and then someone got stabbed to death, and by this time, a lot of them were into a lot of bad things. It was very disheartening to see what was once a typical group of neighborhood boys become so malignant and damaging to their community. I no longer live there.

MS13 started in a similar manner. Young immigrants ad refugees fleeing the civil war in El Salvador found themselves in parts of Los Angeles where gangs were already becoming a problem, and MS13 was formed to protect El Salvadorans from these gangs but soon resorted to the same behaviors and tactics. Eventually many of these men were deported back to El Salvador where they came into contact with former soldiers who had become involved with the drug trade. They networked and MS13 was then established in El Salvador and it's members who had been deported, became the first drug mules in this network when they trekked back to the U.S. with drugs to sell and their newly formed business connections and have now surpassed the Bloods and the Crips.

MS13 and other gangs like it, at the forefront, appear to be a patchwork of teenagers and young adults who run around out of control and have no rules or ethnics, but these are just the pawns of the organization who typically have no idea what they are actually getting into. At the more senior levels, this is an organized crime syndicate with very frugal, organized, and intelligent individuals at the reigns. In fact, it's much like a military, and it's their military against our police.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 2:18 am

I'm sure there's large-scale economics behind the hopelessness of gang culture, and that real opportunity could have engaged the men productively. However, I just have a couple of anecdotes today.
One is about an economics student who did a very careful, privileged study of LA gangs. He concluded that a gang member selling Cocaine on the street made half as much money and was at twice the mortal danger as a U.S. soldier at war. The gold chains are all thin plating, and the cars leased.
The other may indicate a very fearsome reputation for the Crips, but it is probably just funny. During major rioting, a friend had a ringside seat in a downtown hotel. The department store across the intersection had all of its show windows smashed in, and people were streaming out with armloads of stuff to load up cars and vans. He kept a very careful watch, and during the whole episode, NOBODY parked in the handicapped zone.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 2:46 am

Chronos wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

I saw a documentary on crime in the U.K. once....the police brought people tea after they put them in their cell.

In police cells (not prison) you are immediately offered tea or water and if you are there a while you get a choice of food from a small selection. In police cells you are not a criminal as you are not convicted of anything. Offering tea is just standard courtesy here too.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 2:49 am

League_Girl wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

I saw their prisons on a documentary and I couldn't believe how comfortable their prisons are and they basically have rooms and video games in cells?

Our prisons are harsh. That is because we believe criminals shouldn't be given freedom.

I think it is only Category C & D prisons that can have video games, and you have to do a lot as an inmate to earn the right to have them

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 2:50 am

Dear_one wrote:
I'm sure there's large-scale economics behind the hopelessness of gang culture, and that real opportunity could have engaged the men productively. However, I just have a couple of anecdotes today.
One is about an economics student who did a very careful, privileged study of LA gangs. He concluded that a gang member selling Cocaine on the street made half as much money and was at twice the mortal danger as a U.S. soldier at war. The gold chains are all thin plating, and the cars leased.

As I said, they are pawns of the cartels...much like an employee at a big box retailer. Expendable to the company, only in this case, literally. The other side to it though is a lot of young people unfortunately find something about their notion of the gang life appealing and aspire for it. For gangs as old as the Crips and Bloods, gang association often runs in families. Their parents were "bangers" and their grandparents now. Though these people are less wild than "new blood".

Dear_one wrote:
The other may indicate a very fearsome reputation for the Crips, but it is probably just funny. During major rioting, a friend had a ringside seat in a downtown hotel. The department store across the intersection had all of its show windows smashed in, and people were streaming out with armloads of stuff to load up cars and vans. He kept a very careful watch, and during the whole episode, NOBODY parked in the handicapped zone.

Did the Crips decide to police handicapped parking spaces for their injured members or was it merely people from Blood neighborhoods not wanting to put their car in a blue space?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 5:19 pm

Biscuitman wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
Chronos wrote:
Dear_one wrote:

I think it is only Category C & D prisons that can have video games, and you have to do a lot as an inmate to earn the right to have them

Is this for the UK?

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Feb 2018, 3:12 am

This.....

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/feb/17/britain-prison-crisis-facing-meltdown-gangs-drugs-violence

.....suggests some of our English prisons are actually pretty appalling places and have partly become dumping grounds for people with severe mental health issues.