banter at work, "were going to take the P*** out of you"

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ninjaman
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Feb 2018, 4:40 pm

Hello,
i started a new job a week ago as an electrician and i am around others in that trade. they are very loud, swear alot and banter quite aggressively. they have been saying that next week i am going to get a slagging. a supervisor said to me that they are going to take the piss out of me all week. he said you have to have thick shoulders if you are going to work here.
after hearing the things that they say to each other and knowing that i am not that funny or quick i am very concerned about what they are going to do and how i am going to respond. i am not sure if i will be able to stand it. i think that i may have to quit.
i have worn out most of my family through talking about these issues. i know that while at work you have to talk to others and a part of that is banter. which should be good and harmless fun. watching them at work they seem to enjoy themselves and i would like to join in but find most of what they talk about uninteresting. as a result i just try to laugh/smile when they look at me. this hasnt really helped. just smiling isnt enough as they are clearly getting upset about the fact that they are trying and i am not.
when i did make a joke, i made a comment about me being slow to respond and the guy said "nice to see you join in". i find this encouraging but i still find banter difficult. in the past i have tried self deprecating humour but at a cost. usually i get trampled on. quite nasty too. it has made me leave jobs.
i am not sure what to do. this job requires me to move away for the week and stay as a lodger. this costs money. i am very alone and unhappy. i know there are others out there that are unhappy, but any advice would be great.
i have read about things like how to take banter but it doesnt really help. i think that there should be a banter hotline. a number that you could call and get help over the phone by practicing with some smart arse.
any help would be great, thanks

MirrorWars
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2018, 7:09 pm

Just grin & bear it.

That's literally all you can do if your not that type of person.

It'll probably calm down soon enough. Actually, it may not be as bad as you have been told.

You never know, it could end up being a great experience, if they are genuinely hilarious.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 1:38 am

Have you tried bull$hitting back? Might help in building camaraderie.

ninjaman

11 Feb 2018, 7:48 am

I am not too sure what to say. i try to be funny and it doesnt work.
also the delivery is poor. i think that my supervisor and work colleagues may choose to escalate things to the point of trying to break me. this is what concerns me most. i have had some severe problems with work in the past. i know that i have low self esteem, this is MY problem and that i must work on it. I do find it difficult though, obviously. but also, i feel that some of my work colleagues may be trying to get rid of me.
thanks for the support, i am wearing my support network thin at the moment with my worries. i dont enjoy doing this but feel very lonely.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 10:56 am

Just say you're the Wolfman. Works for me.....

At least they warned you LOL

thewheel
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2018, 4:54 pm

You've been watching what they do, why don't you take tips from watching how they handle the banter?

Even if you can't always come up with something witty to say or do just make sure you don't look like you're taking it too seriously, so smile etc.

1stSauce
Toucan
Toucan

13 Feb 2018, 4:33 am

If all else fails, be sly and cook up some chocolate muffins laced with laxatives. :twisted:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 6:01 am

1stSauce wrote:
If all else fails, be sly and cook up some chocolate muffins laced with laxatives. :twisted:

Or, get hold of sugar free Gummy Bears. Believe it or not, they cause explosive diarrhea. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: