Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 2:47 pm

I howl like a wolf on the subway. But I mostly fulfill my adult responsibilities.

I want to be the life of the party at my senior center when I get old.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 3:43 pm

I search for my daily dose of cat videos.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 4:45 pm

IstominFan wrote:
I search for my daily dose of cat videos.

This is the real reason http was invented.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 10:26 am

A PURR-fect reason it is, too!

I love listening to 1950s music. I find it fun and I love dancing to it.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 7:51 pm

I'm 43 years old and I like Lego, Hot Wheels, scratch art, Justin Bieber, Cut the Rope, Flushed Away and Mary Poppins. I also like Austin Powers movies and Hogan's Heroes. I enjoy the things that I like and I don't worry about what others think.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 10:15 pm

Aye, I think you'll find that lots of us understand this one.

I'm 37. And I'm male. But when it comes to my interests? I couldnt give less of a crap.

Lemme show you something: https://pre00.deviantart.net/b405/th/pr ... 9juchu.png

Have a look at that. That is Kirlia, from the Pokemon series of games. I love Kirlia. It's so... freaking... cute. I like it so much, I bought a plush doll of it. Why? Because I freaking wanted one, that's why. Does this look like something a 37-year old male would have? Probably not. Do I give a fart? Nope.

It's the same for all of my interests. Video games are my main thing, twisty puzzles are another one, and I'm very into cosplay as well. Granted, video games in particular have been much more accepted among many age groups as of late, but still. It's *the* hobby for me. But the other ones... if you dont know what "cosplay" is, it's the act of dressing up, in costume, as some favorite character from... whatever. In my case, it's characters from games (usually feminine or androgynous characters, too, because I freaking can), but it could be anime or TV shows or whatever. This is typically done at conventions. To some, this might seem like a silly thing. But to me? I'll do as I like, thanks. And I quickly found that at a convention, everyone else tends to think the same way. I learned that it's not just me with my autism that does the things I do: Plenty of otherwise "normal" people get MUCH more "weird" than I do, or have similar interests.

You worry about maturity, but... well, I'll put it this way. My definition of maturity is simple: The ability to make my OWN decisions. Instead of worrying about what others think, I'll buy the freaking doll if I want the freaking doll (I also have LOTS of other figures and things, too. Heck, I've got really BIG plush figures from freaking Minecraft, because I happen to like Minecraft, and to heck with anyone else if they have a problem with that). I'm a mature adult: I CAN DO THAT, I can buy those if I want, so I will.... simple as that. That, to me, is actual maturity. I dont see the need to "prove" anything to anyone.

I dont exactly bother keeping any of this private, either. I really just say.... "bah".

If the people around you are acting badly towards you due to this... then maybe you've surrounded yourself with, well, idiots. Anyone that could be a real friend towards you, wouldnt be acting like that just because of those things. Look for others with similar interests instead. Believe me, they're out there, regardless of age.

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:14 pm

I have a tendency to behave as though I'm much younger. It's funny in a way, I used to act as though I was much older when I was young.

People do tend to tease and mock me in those moments. I avoid those people, or if they won't just let me be happy then I have a habit of saying something exceptionally mean and cutting, which usually does the trick.

Trying to force myself to have interests that I don't particularly like or enjoy just made me miserable. You don't have to choose between being miserable and forcing yourself to be someone you're not, or to be who you are and feel ashamed. You don't have to feel ashamed just because someone else wants you to be. They should feel ashamed for acting like bullies. You have a right to like what you like, it's not like it's hurting anyone. If it makes you feel any better, I've learned that people who make fun of others for their interests and behavior are usually miserable deep down and are faking most of their personality and so they have this resentment deep down that they can't be comfortable in who they are, so they take it out on people that can just be themselves.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 6:40 am

I'm 54 years old but I'm young for my age i still read childrens books like The Enchanted wood by Enid Blyton and June and School Friend Annuals.
i also like to play on Swings whenever i get the chance.