Any advice for trying to start dating in my late 20s?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 6:53 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
I don't think our opinions on where to meet someone are relevant, in terms of where is "better". Whatever works for you works for you. My advice would be to just try different methods and see what happens. Be genuine. Be honest. Put yourself out there and find out who likes what they see :)

How do I put myself out there?

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 8:14 pm

sly279 wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:
I don't think our opinions on where to meet someone are relevant, in terms of where is "better". Whatever works for you works for you. My advice would be to just try different methods and see what happens. Be genuine. Be honest. Put yourself out there and find out who likes what they see :)

Good question. Online dating obviously is one method. And other online forums. As for the "real world", I'm not so great at that so I probably don't have all the ideas. But places I've met romantic partners have been work, through friends, social meetups (e.g. a boardgaming group that I frequent).

If you mean specifically how do you project that you are "on the market", I don't know...it amazes me sometimes how I manage to pick up outside of online dating. I'm pretty raw and open though when I hang out with people so I probably flat out mention that I'm single at some point.

Dargo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2018, 12:23 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
sly279 wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

Good question. Online dating obviously is one method. And other online forums. As for the "real world", I'm not so great at that so I probably don't have all the ideas. But places I've met romantic partners have been work, through friends, social meetups (e.g. a boardgaming group that I frequent).

If you mean specifically how do you project that you are "on the market", I don't know...it amazes me sometimes how I manage to pick up outside of online dating. I'm pretty raw and open though when I hang out with people so I probably flat out mention that I'm single at some point.

This might seem dumb to advise people on dating when I never have but I would not suggest work. Some jobs have rules against it and I've seen things go badly. There are good reasons a lot of employers don't want that and it must be way worse for someone who already has problems interacting with people having to deal with all that at the job they still have to go to every day.

Dargo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Feb 2018, 12:28 pm

fluffysaurus wrote:
Dargo wrote:
sly279 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
I only had my own place. I didn’t even have a license or a good job when I was in my 20s.

I did okay, sometimes, with women.

Many guys even worse off than me had less trouble than me.

Those were different times and nyc has a lot more women then men. My area has the opposite. Areas with more women lower their standards, but area with more men women get pickier.

So you're saying if I'm picky about wanting someone relatively sane and I'm trying to date someone who is picky it's probably never working out? Honestly I'm not that bothered by that though I know a lot of guys who work minimum wage jobs and seem less mentally stable than me getting married and dating so it can't be impossible.

No it is not impossible, but it can be difficult. It depends on what your issues are.

I think you are going into this with the right attitude. The wrong person has to be a lot worse than no person :D If you find someone you like work on the communication, make sure she understands the need to put her expectations/needs of the relationship into words (NT women don't do this naturally) and to keep doing so.

If you try internet dating please note that the women on there are not typical. A lot of single women don't feel comfortable using them so the odds on them are against you.

What do you mean by "not typical"? In what way aren't they typical and is it a bad kind of not typical?

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 1:35 pm

yellowtamarin wrote:
sly279 wrote:
yellowtamarin wrote:

Lot of people here say not to date at work and leave women coworkers alone.i dont have friend but when I did they didn’t think I’d be good enough for their female people, I don’t have social groups. If they happen mid day maybe I could but as is they all happen late nih across town.

I don’t even look at women anymore if they look my way I look down or away from them. Otherwise I get nasty looks cause they can tell I’m worthless. It’s like a how far thst loser look at me look. I’m envious how women and how much easier it is for you all to meet and find romantic partners. If a guy mentions he single he’s called a loser. If a woman does guys just try to ask her out.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 1:57 pm

Dargo wrote:
fluffysaurus wrote:

If you try internet dating please note that the women on there are not typical. A lot of single women don't feel comfortable using them so the odds on them are against you.

What do you mean by "not typical"? In what way aren't they typical and is it a bad kind of not typical?

I can only go by what I've gotten from other people but while some women are on them genuinely to find a partner others are there just to flirt and get attention due to the disproportionately high number of men on them. There is also some suggestion of made up women (by the sites).

yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 4:58 pm

Re: dating at work. Some people work in massive offices where there are people you run into sometimes but don't interact with professionally. I once dated a guy who worked for the same company but across town. We met at an after work drinks thing. So I guess that's what I mean by putting yourself out there. Be aware of new opportunities to meet people, give things a go.