Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Feb 2018, 6:31 am

Every year we do a work appraisal with a manager. We get a grade which is used to calculate our pay rise.

We can see what we need to do to get each grade level. I am in the middle band which is in essence "turn up, do your job, be pleasant to work with, don't be off sick too much" etc.

The next band up is more about communicating with others, developing relationships, training others, team building etc etc.

How it normally works is that we get something each year, but that depends on where you are in the pay range and your grade. So if you hit the top of the pay range for your grade then you are stuck until the range moves.

My question is: if pay rises are not forthcoming because I am not moving in the the next band up is that being discriminatory against me and my Asperger's?

It is complicated I know, but just to know what sort of thoughts people have on this would be welcome.

I am very good at my job and know it inside out, but because I never seem to get anywhere because of the stupid system we now have to work with.

Nira
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2018, 3:11 pm

It is good that you have in your job described system about pay rises. In my work we have work appraisal twice a year and I really didn't know, what do for raise my salary. My boss found out that I was looking for new job and promised me rise(I don't know how much), I work in this job 4 years and until now nothing.

I don't know, if I can tell, that is discriminatory against me and my Asperger's, when i didn't tell them about it. But they probably figured out about it, that I have problems with communication. Know your boss about your Asperger's?

I had a colleague, in statements he reported more hours than worked, he didn't do his job. At lunch he was an hour and a half, in working hours was on the Internet. But he was very communicative, social, popular. He was promoted. He became my team leader. When I left this job, I tried warn our project manager, that he isn't good, but after some time she promoted him again. I really don't underestand why, when he did nothing. He know only speak. Finding a job comes to me quite discriminatory, this is same. They will prefer to accept someone social.

If you are good in your work and you can't move to next band due to your communication, I think that this is stupid system.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 11:04 am

harry12345 wrote:
My question is: if pay rises are not forthcoming because I am not moving in the the next band up is that being discriminatory against me and my Asperger's?

It is complicated I know, but just to know what sort of thoughts people have on this would be welcome.

I am very good at my job and know it inside out, but because I never seem to get anywhere because of the stupid system we now have to work with.

Could be.

Can you give examples of how you feel discriminated against in comparison to others? That social piece is always a factor (i know it myself), but it is generally not a requirement for advancement or payrises.

If you feel cheated, you should start looking for a new job.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2018, 12:09 pm

I've looked carefully at all the criteria for the two bands and, yes, I do fall into the middle category.

The higher band doesn't have communication as the criteria per-se BUT you would need good communication skills to display and prove you are doing those things required.

Most of us will be in the middle category (go to work, do the job, go home). It is what we want to be doing.

Like most things it favours those who can blag, BS and show off :roll: and doesn't do favours for the real hard workers :roll: .

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2018, 7:41 am

Requirements for the next band should be fair and in the interest of the company. Autism should not play a role here, as long as you meet those requirements. If colleagues don't meet them, they won't move, whether they are autistic or not. That is fair, in my eyes.

Autistics shouldn't be blocked from moving to the next band, because they are autistic. That is stigmatizing.