Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2018, 12:46 pm

Gillian Anderson Confirms She's Exiting Fox's 'The X-Files,' Starz's 'American Gods

Quote:
Gillian Anderson is finished with The X-Files, the actress confirmed Wednesday during a panel organized as part of the Television Critics Association's winter press tour. Anderson said that she originally intended to sign on for the six-episode revival in 2017

"It's time for me to hang up Scully's hat. It just is," Anderson told reporters, ruling out any potential return in the future. "I'm finished, and that's the end of that."

As for X-Files, "I arrived at the decision before we did the previous six, but I was really curious. I felt that the previous six was going to be it. It was dipping our toe back in again ... and getting to play these wonderful characters again," Anderson said. "I think as [series creator] Chris [Carter] has said himself, that short stack of episodes felt like we were learning how to walk again and that this season of 10 feels like the pace is up and we're running."

She added, "I wouldn't necessarily have been happy if those six were how we said goodbye. ... There's lots of things that I want to do in my life and in my career and it's been an extraordinary opportunity and extraordinary character and I am hugely grateful."

For his part, co-star David Duchovny told reporters he would be "good either way" if the show continued without Anderson or if it ended after the current season.

"I've tried to say goodbye to Fox Mulder many times and I failed. And they all went and did the show without me, so how do you like that? I'm feeling pretty pissed off, now that I remember," Duchovny joked.

The X-Files ran on Fox from 1993 to 2002, and returned to Fox for a six-episode tenth season in 2017, billed as a limited event.

“I’ve said from the beginning this is it for me," Anderson told TV Guide Magazine ahead of the 11th season premiere. She had told fans at New York Comic Con last year that she was finished but reiterated her statement to the magazine. "I was a bit surprised by people’s [shocked] reaction to my announcement … because my understanding was that this was a single season."

X-Files executive producers Darin Morgan, Glen Morgan and James Wong were on hand to discuss the 11th season and upcoming episodes, which they wrote and directed. While the longtime collaborators penned and helmed episodes solo this season, they also welcomed collaboration.

"When we first started The X-Files, there was no such thing as a traditional writers room that we understand as it exists now, and I think in this particular 10 episodes we tried to include things we've done recently in new shows," Wong said. "At the end of the day, since we all directed the episodes that we wrote, mostly, we didn't have a chance to really have a traditional writers room, but we did give notes to each other and comment and were involved."

I hope they do not come back without her or with another actress. Scully is too big a part of the show, it will not be the X-Files without her. And if they do comeback without her please do not kill her off and have half of the next season dealing with her death as is the trend now. While Archie Bunker’s Place was not All In The Family they did this very well but that was decades ago and Archie Bunker was always the lead character.

They X-Files needed to come back to comment on our fake news conspiracy theory culture that they were prescient about but they now they have accomplished that.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 5:02 pm

Well, toward the end of the X-Files original 9 year run, they did try to replace both her and David. The problem I think at that time wasn't so much that they were trying to replace those two, but that the show had gone on for eight to nine years. Most Sci Fi shows don't go so long, Doctor Who, Star Trek, Stargate, and Supernatural excepted.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2018, 5:05 pm

Also, I will say this: I have seen her in person at a comic book convention panel about two years before they did the X-Files reboot, and she was not very enthused about a reboot. I'm surprised she agreed to this at all.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 10:47 pm

That's really too bad. Maybe a raise would entice her to stay?

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2018, 4:43 pm

From what I saw at that con, she is not a very nice person, and really didn't want to do this reboot, regardless of the money.