Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

11 Feb 2018, 12:46 pm

I would like to know if anyone on this site liked to play demo discs for the PS1/PS2 back before the PS3 became popular and everything switched to downloadable demos. I never had a chance to play any of those demo discs until quite recently, and I really enjoy them.

diablo
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

11 Feb 2018, 7:39 pm

Brings back memories!

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 6:40 am

Yeah, I played them every time a disc came with the new issue of the game magazine I read back then. This was for the first PlayStation

Those demos were great, they could give you a clue about the game. I both found and dismissed games based on them.
Some were playable, some were just vids.

I pretty much quit on PlayStation after PS 2 (and even used PS 2 much less than PS 1). Ps 1 and Nintendo are more my style

I've never played a downloadable demo other than Nintendo's for Pokemon Sun.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2018, 6:50 am

I still have a bunch of them.

I think a few of my fave demo's were of Wip3out and one called RC Stunt Copter. Oh, and No Fear Downhill Mountain Biking!

Also Vib Ribbon!! ! Never in all my life have I been able to get hold of the full game! It was so expensive when it first came out and then suddenly, it was no where to be seen!! I still want it!!

I miss demo disks...

Stunning Images On T-Shirts, Homeware and More!!

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 9:04 am

I didn't have a Playstation until much later, but my friend had a few discs, and he gave them to me at some point. I remember we played a lot of Spyro the Dragon, and Ninja, and some Parappa the Rappa. The discs were pretty scratchy, though.

We did used to subscribe to different PC gaming magazines, so I have quite a few demo discs there. Every once in a while they would even give out full version games, like Descent, Wasteland, Betrayal at Krondor, etc.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 10:28 am

Ah yes, demo discs...

Never played any of those myself, but I recall seeing someone playing a pinball game on the PlayStation, which I believe was on one of those demo discs. But that's as much as I remember about it.

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2018, 2:38 pm

Usually the PS1 discs are called "PlayStation Picks" or "interactive cd samplers", "jampacks" or "PlayStation underground" issues. Most of the PS2 discs are called" "jampacks" or holiday samplers. I think the really early PS2 discs from 2000 and 2001 were called different things though. Xbox and Xbox 360 also have their share of demo discs.

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2018, 2:42 pm

The only discs that I have are the very first one for the PS1 and a couple of other ones for that console from the mid-90s, but they don't always work on my PS2. That's why I switched to PS2 discs. I have some of the later discs for that console, Volumes 11-13. (I think volume 15, from around the same time the PS3 launched, was the very last one for that console.)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 3:12 pm

I tend to find demos frustrating because they end just when the game starts to get interesting. Would rather just buy the entire game. Might try a demo if I am not sure about a game and want to try it a little before spending the money, but that's it.

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2018, 9:54 pm

Demo disk 42 from the Official Playstation Magazine UK. It had an extensive collection of Net Yaroze games. Mostly garbage, but there was some gems on there. My dad still plays one of the Breakout clones on that disk.

I very much miss that era. We had a subscription to aforementioned magazine almost entirely because of the demo disks. I remember buying Silent Bomber based off the demo, and that was one of the best games I ever played!

e: I had the Vib Ribbon demo disk too. I never had the full game, but the ability to load music and have it become the game was something that I thought about at the time, and I guess I considered it impossible.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

14 Feb 2018, 6:55 am

I've only ever had one PS1 demo disc and I don't know where we got it from now. It had a platformer called Tombi on it which I liked but have never seen anywhere else. It had demos of Medieval and Spyro on too which are still two of my favourite games.

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

14 Feb 2018, 10:55 am

Actually, Tombi (AKA Tomba) is a very collectible game on EBay. Where I live, the cheapest copy goes for $75.

OutsideView
Veteran
Veteran

Location: England ^not male but apparently you can't change it

14 Feb 2018, 12:27 pm

Ha, looks like I'll never be playing that one then! 8O

Harker
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 12:45 pm

Tomba and Tomba 2 can be downloaded off PSN if getting the discs is unfeasible. Currently ten bucks and six bucks, and can be played on PS3, PSP, and Vita.

EDIT: I see you're in the UK, OutsideView. I dug around and it looks like Tomba is available on PSN there but not the sequel.