For those here who think anything of me at all

Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 5:33 pm

Epicurean, to me, means “virtuously hedonistic.” In other words, you have fun, but you have morals, too. Your fun is a smart, practical sort of fun.

Sort of like the Bohemians of old. But not stupid like some of Beatniks/Hippies

I’m not a party guy—but there’s nothing wrong with good, clean, Bacchianalian fun.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 6:01 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Epicurean, to me, means “virtuously hedonistic.” In other words, you have fun, but you have morals, too. Your fun is a smart, practical sort of fun.

I’m not a party guy—but there’s nothing wrong with good, clean, Bacchianalian fun.

Interesting. Yeah, that's not the definition(s) that came up with google. Can't say I really disagree with your assessment, though. I certainly have my fair share of fun as I see fit in a variety of ways in life, but I do most definitely have morals/ethics, too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 6:05 pm

Read up on Epicurus himself. He spoke of a sort of hedonism with moderation.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 5:34 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Read up on Epicurus himself. He spoke of a sort of hedonism with moderation.

I'm sure he & his philosophies are interesting, but I'm not likely to ever make the time to look it up and read it. Your one liner about hedonism with moderation is about all I need to know about it. I get distracted by forums and news enough already to be waaaaaaay behind on my reading list lol.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 8:19 pm

I think you should be careful because if anyone gets hungry around you, well, that's all she wrote my friend. You also get awesome points simply being from Canada in my book.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 8:49 pm

I don't know if you've read this; but I highly recommend it: "Siddhartha," by Herman Hesse.

It is a VERY FAST read.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 2:11 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I'm curious what it is.

Good, bad, ugly.. doesn't matter. I'm neutral about the feedback, so don't worry that you're going to offend me. I'd prefer your complete honest opinion & assessment. I'm especially curious what certain regulars on these forums may think of me, but I'm not going to name names or anything. I'd rather that anyone who does have any thoughts about me, my forum persona/reputation etc just flat out shares what they are.

It's just a curiosity I'd rather satisfy than wonder about. Definitely Not seeking any conflicts. If there are less than positive things said about me, they are what they are & I'd rather know them than not as I view criticism as an opportunity for self assessment & improvement. I'm also not posting this seeking compliments or sympathy or any such thing to boost my ego or mood.

For the record, I'm in a nicely balanced state right now.. was up late drinking for a very good friend's 2nd 25th birthday party, just had a fantastic hangover brunch, and now I'm off to the most beautiful beach in Vancouver for a trek down ~480 stairs through the rainforest to breathtaking ocean views & likely a little fire on the beach with friends. 8) It's just something that popped into my mind today & I figured I'd start a thread and ask vs. wonder.

And no, I don't assume that even regulars here even think anything of me at all, but chances are a number of you do.. soo, yeah. :) Also, if you think both good & bad of me, by all means, don't cherry pick your thoughts - just spill 'em. Thx!

OK here is what I think. You know, one day, I thought perhaps my being gay isn't the result of how nature made me. Perhaps its a disease caused by harmless wheat and milk protein, drugs produced by BIG PHARMA, and intestinal tract bacteria. And if I could just get my hands on some probiotics and intestinal flushes that BIG PHARMA doesn't want me to know about, perhaps I could unqueer myself...

I mean we all know BIG PHARMA wants everybody to be gay...its a worldwide conspiracy... :skull:

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

Edgar Allan Poe, The Cask of Amontillado

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 2:40 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
OK here is what I think. You know, one day, I thought perhaps my being gay isn't the result of how nature made me. Perhaps its a disease caused by harmless wheat and milk protein, drugs produced by BIG PHARMA, and intestinal tract bacteria. And if I could just get my hands on some probiotics and intestinal flushes that BIG PHARMA doesn't want me to know about, perhaps I could unqueer myself...

I mean we all know BIG PHARMA wants everybody to be gay...its a worldwide conspiracy... :skull:

:roll:

Apples to oranges.

A sexual orientation is not comparable to a neurological disorder that's caused, or exacerbated, by antibiotics/diet & can be treated via medicine & probiotics in order to actually reduce/minimize it's textbook symptoms.

I follow my protocol; I fly under the radar and am assumed to be NT by the outside world. I slip, or take a round of antibiotics etc, and the feedback I get from those around me are describing ASD symptoms - that's my cue to do what I do to ensure my gut is balanced and body and brain functioning as optimally as I can make them.

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 2:47 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:

Apples to oranges.

A sexual orientation is not comparable to a neurological disorder that's caused, or exacerbated, by antibiotics/diet & can be treated via medicine & probiotics in order to actually reduce/minimize it's textbook symptoms.

I follow my protocol; I fly under the radar and am assumed to be NT by the outside world. I slip, or take a round of antibiotics etc, and the feedback I get from those around me are describing ASD symptoms - that's my cue to do what I do to ensure my gut is balanced and body and brain functioning as optimally as I can make them.

There are many who view my orientation as in fact a neurological disorder. And as a scientist, (ok, a geologist, but I know how science is done) I don't see anything valid in this new age approach. Its misinformation and falsehood of the worst possible kind. A worst case example would be someone who tries this on something that can in fact only be treated by drugs made by research and science, ie BIG PHARMA. Chinese anal flushes cant stop a heart attack in progress or treat diabetes. Only real medicine based on science can do this.

Secondly, I like the way I am (gay and Aspie) and don't see either condition as a disease. A "cure" for being an Aspie? That's really pretty offensive to me. It would be like killing me and replacing me with someone else wearing my meatsuit.

"It must be understood, that neither by word nor deed had I given Fortunato cause to doubt my good-will. I continued as was my wont, to smile in his face, and he did not perceive that my smile was at the thought of his immolation."

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 3:21 pm

RainbowUnion wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
RainbowUnion wrote:

Apples to oranges.

There are many who view my orientation as in fact a neurological disorder. And as a scientist, (ok, a geologist, but I know how science is done) I don't see anything valid in this new age approach. Its misinformation and falsehood of the worst possible kind. A worst case example would be someone who tries this on something that can in fact only be treated by drugs made by research and science, ie BIG PHARMA. Chinese anal flushes cant stop a heart attack in progress or treat diabetes. Only real medicine based on science can do this.

Secondly, I like the way I am (gay and Aspie) and don't see either condition as a disease. A "cure" for being an Aspie? That's really pretty offensive to me. It would be like killing me and replacing me with someone else wearing my meatsuit.

You're being ridiculous, but I'll respond anyways.

I've never said "chinese anal flushes stop heart attacks," or anything of the sort. I've been transparent about the fact that high volume enemas/colonics cleanse growths from inside the large intestine/colon that enable the enteric nervous system to function more fully & that probiotics seem to play a role as if they're neurotransmitters of sorts. But I'm sure you have more experience on the subject to share than I do, or your expertise as a geologist somehow qualifies you as a gastrointestintologist or neuroscientist? I'm not claiming to be either, but I'm also not claiming that knowledge of rocks equates to understanding what part the enteric nervous system & gut flora dysbiosis plays in ASD.

I don't really care if you like how you are and never want to change. That's on you. Personally, ASD symptoms are a major hinderance to me achieving much more in my life & I accept that it's a disorder/disability, but what I won't accept is just allowing it to ruin my life when there is something I can do about it via diet, supplements, and medicine that keep it under control & allow me to live a significantly better life for it. You're free to like yourself just as you are all you want, but from my personal experience, there's a Zero % chance I would Ever choose to go back to "untreated ASD," mode & live my life in that personal hell ever again when I can do what I do and live a much healthier, happier, wealthier, more socially connected life. That's my choice, you do whatever's right for yourself.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 11:50 pm

You have the coolest hair on WP.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 12:17 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I think of an "Epicurean" as being a wine conneiseur, or a gormet. Not really a "hedonist".

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 1:16 am

Epicurus was into a philosophy of “pleasure for pleasure’s sake,” but its ideal was a virtuous and rational practice of these pleasures.

Over the years, the definition has expanded in various ways. The way I used to was the combination of the original definition of “Epicurean” and a later one “one given to sensual pleasure,” with the connotation of “virtuous practice” maintained.

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 5:11 pm

I think you are one of the most sensible, level-headed, rational members on the forum, and you have contributed, greatly, to the positive experiences I have had here. I think we may have conversed, briefly, in the past about it, but, I follow the same nutritional path, that you do. Apart from the occasional ice cream, chocolate and IPA beer.

Bottom line - I think you rock! Keep on keepin' on!

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 5:19 pm

Yikes, how did I miss this thread?

You're a good'un. Your determination is admirable and your good intentions are always foremost :-)

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

RainbowUnion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 2:36 pm

Ok, there is a lot more to my job than just knowing about rocks. That's like saying all a biologist knows about is cells or DNA. In fact, some biologists don't even study cells or DNA, at least not directly.

GF, what you are is an aspiring NT. I'm not, any more than I am an aspiring heterosexual. I don't view either as a condition that I'd like to cure, its not a cold or the flu. I believe that all people should be accepted for how they are. If we are disabled, its only because we have to live in a world where 99% of the people are not like us.

Whats my view of you? Quite frankly a Jew for Hitler. Or a black for the 1960s South.