The Social Brain: culture, change and evolution | Bret Weins

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 12:04 am

This was a really powerful synopsis of Bret Weinstein's ideas as of late and his recommendations for what we need to do to keep the end of our economic boom in the west from turning into war, genocide, and appropriation. His suggestion is that we need to get a lot wiser about evolutionary psychology, make tweaks to how we handle culture via the knowledge that deep down we're evolutionary computers, that we're somewhat hard wired for growth, and that quite often a lot of what we've done in our lack of understanding the implications of evolution has caused cascades of consequences that we couldn't foresee because the ground rules of the games in motion were beyond the scope of our beliefs about the shape of life in general.

This is a Big Think lecture and while it's not nearly as long as some of the other stuff I've posted it's somewhat of a long-player for them.

Run-time - 31:14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4NTbDD6PGQ

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 5:22 am

Bret Weinstein:
-Human beings addicted to growth...
-Becoming more tribal with austerity...
-Utopianism worst idea...
-The relationship between Human culture and human genome...
-Cultural layer passed on outside our genes...
-Richard Dawkins "meme"...
-Culture servers the genetic interest...
-Belief systems built around evolutionary success...
-Utopian ideas cause untold deaths...
-A large number of young people believe that free exchange of ideas is no longer necessary and also counter productive...
-Young people set out to silence those who have opinions that are at odds to their own...
-Some people who have opinions at odds with theirs believe abhorrent things but until you fully hear their topic you don't know which opinions to shut out...
-One has to engage beliefs which are at odds to your own beliefs in order to figure out whether what you believe is correct and to improve it where it isn't correct...
-So shutting down speech has become a mode for a large number of individuals who believe they see very clearly what is wrong with civilisation and what must be done to improve it and unfortunately are shutting down people who have vital things to tell them that they definitely need to know...

Once again a lot of my ideas are stolen... 8O
Why do so many intelligent people have to plagiarise me? :mrgreen: