Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2018, 10:28 am

I wonder if any of you have a really calm emotional reaction to a point in your past?

When i was a kid, my mum used to go in the bath shortly after I'd gone to bed and she would play her tapes while in there, always loud enough for me to hear, but not too loud to disturb me. Much of The Beatles, Elton John, Toto, Chicago, Belinda Carlise ect...

And it's my dark room, with light from the landing creeping through the crack in my door, the sweet tunes of 80's music and the soft smell of fragranced bubble bath, all while cuddled up in my bed.

When I go here in my head, it's like nothing else matters. Everything and everyone around me fade out and just disappear. Time stands still.

Stunning Images On T-Shirts, Homeware and More!!

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 10:38 am

I know exactly what you mean.
Going to bed after Christmas Day. I'd be about 12 years old, my favourite auntie and uncle would be downstairs talking to my parents. They both smoked but my parents didn't. It was unusual to smell the smoke... and I'd hear the buzz of conversation... and a crack of light as my bedroom door would be slightly open.
It's a world that's a million miles away... but sometimes I put myself there when I'm lying in bed at night and everything else just melts away.
Even today I'm a bit of a passive smoker... as long as no-one is blowing it directly in my face, just the smell of it transports me.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 12:18 pm

Cool memory...maybe even a vital memory.

The memory of my dad and I going to the beach and listening to something like “Spill the Wine” by War on the car radio—is sublime.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2018, 1:49 pm

I have a thing for smoke as well. I used to live with a friend's family when I was a kid, and the parents smoked. I really felt at home there, and I considered the grownups as my second pair of parents. I had a better time there than I did in my own house.
I hate being in other people's houses, but if it's a house where they smoke inside, I'm much more comfortable. It smells like home.

I also like hearing people typing on a keyboard. My mom had a computer when they were still quite unusual, and it was standing in my room. I used to fall asleep to the blue light and the tapping, which back then was a very unique experience. I feel at ease imagining it, and still find that sound sleep-provoking.

Oh, and Cat Stevens and Simon and Garfunkel. Those guys takes me places.

Last edited by Embla on 12 Feb 2018, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 1:58 pm

I like the scent of smoke that comes from a campfire....not cigarette smoke.

Though I did find cigarette smoke oddly comforting when I was younger.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 2:24 pm

My Special Places have always been libraries. Recently, though, I've noticed a trend - they're not as quiet as they used to be. A lot of them feature romper rooms where children are free to scream at the top of their lungs. Others, like the one in Northgate, was infested with meth heads and heroin addicts who shot up in the bathrooms. I've discovered blood in the restrooms there as well as empty syringes.

I've also noticed people speak at full volume in libraries these days. Some even talk on their phone without pardoning themselves to go outside. Sigh. Can't wait to end this homelessness of mine.

Embla
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2018, 2:55 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
My Special Places have always been libraries. Recently, though, I've noticed a trend - they're not as quiet as they used to be. A lot of them feature romper rooms where children are free to scream at the top of their lungs. Others, like the one in Northgate, was infested with meth heads and heroin addicts who shot up in the bathrooms. I've discovered blood in the restrooms there as well as empty syringes.

I've also noticed people speak at full volume in libraries these days. Some even talk on their phone without pardoning themselves to go outside. Sigh. Can't wait to end this homelessness of mine.

I used to hang out in the library too when I was homeless. The exact same thing has happened over here, it's not what it used to be. But I'm glad there are still any libraries left at all.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 3:02 pm

I'm really, really lucky. Mine is golden late-afternoon sunlight. It's like instant peace. Indoors or out.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 4:29 pm

That cat certainly looks comfy :D

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 2:18 am

One is from one of my first jobs. I worked the night shift by myself doing basic cleaning in a shopping mall; mostly running the floor scrubbers and cleaning the food court. I usually got done early and I had access to the roof hatch so I could walk around the top of the whole shopping mall in the middle of the night.

Just one time when I was really bored, I realized the roof hatch to the Cinema was also unlocked. I went down there one time really late and saw the movie projectors and other cinema equipment.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 7:00 am

This is the autism in me:

My first thought at reading the title of this thread was that I wanted to tell everybody I was a “Specisl Place Enumerator” during the 1980 Census.

I have to put the breaks at expressing my thoughts at times.

If I had expressed that thought earlier, what would you folks had thought?