Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 2:44 pm

I barely speak to anyone in person normally I will see my parents once a week and my little brother every couple of weeks since he has came back from Uni. Counting up the people I have had conversations with this year its 8 and 6 of those are from when I got my haircut in my parents, a brief conversation with the hairdresser, a brief conversation with my mums friend and I spent the day playing with my brother and 3 of my cousins kids. This is pretty much standard Isolation for me. Are any of you also isolated? Do you find isolation just makes it even harder to talk to people?

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 2:47 pm

*Do you. Not To you sorry.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 3:53 pm

At my old address: About 6-7 minutes a week
At my current address about: 15-20 minutes a day.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 4:09 pm

I have conversations with people every day, without really thinking about it.

ScarletIbis
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2018, 4:16 pm

Only when people talk to me first, so..... very rarely. :D

Feel free to message me if you want

Please understand that everything I write should be read with a grain of salt because I frequently adjust my views based on new information (just read a description of INTP that should explain better than I)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 5:05 pm

My job at the library involves considerable conversation—sometimes.

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 5:32 pm

Conversation with a specific goal in mind (solve a problem, get information, etc.): Many times per day.

Conversation for the sake of being social that lasts more than 30 seconds: Less than once per day.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 8:03 pm

Daily, because I live with my family.

If I exclude them, then very seldom, unless you count the second it takes me to say hi (and only hi, and only if they say it first) when I occasionally pass a neighbor.
Last time would have been a year ago, but that had the intention of solving something. A conversation I had 2012 had the purpose of getting some information.

Going by SplendidSnail's good definition "Conversation for the sake of being social that lasts more than 30 seconds", then my last time must have been in 2003.

I can't say that isolation makes it harder for me to talk to people, I have never had anything to say when I have nothing to say, and I never can come up with anything to say or ask or comment. When the well is dry, it's dry. Been that way since childhood. It doesn't bother me much because I can count on a hand the times I have wanted to be social with someone. It has probably bothered those who have tried to engage me in conversation but that is their problem.
So for me it only bothers me when I actually want to say something, we're talking ca once a decade here. Then it does bother me somewhat but not to the extent that trying to practice would be worth it - it just be a very boring and uninteresting chore. The less I have to deal with people, the happier I am.

Quiet Is the New Loud :D

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 8:16 pm

Currently, about twice a week for a decent conversation, plus minor pleasantries if I buy something. Averaging more than an hour a day with most people will soon ruin my sleep as I re-play the conversations, wondering what non-logical minds might go off about, if anything.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 8:20 pm

Every day, since I live with other people.
I also have quite a large social group because I belong to several clubs.

EverythingAndNothing
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2018, 9:38 pm

These days I live with my partner and work in a field that requires me to talk to people so I probably do more talking now than I've ever done in my life. Even with that, though, I probably still do significantly less talking than most people since I have no friends and don't really do any socializing outside of work.

There was a point a few years ago when I lived alone, had no friends, and was unemployed for a few months. I was so isolated that there were times where I easily went a week or two between speaking to anybody and, yes, it definitely made it much harder to speak to people when I had to.

elbowgrease
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 9:39 pm

Lately, more than I would prefer. Which is still not that much.
Normally, not much at all. And I'm rarely the person that initiates it. And I don't know if I could ever call it conversation, really.

horses4life
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Feb 2018, 6:19 am

I talk to my parents and that is it I don't talk to others for weeks maybe months

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 9:39 am

You should watch Mr Ed.

But wait to see Equus.

Mr Ed was a very smart and social horse.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 9:51 am

As in literally talk or actually hold a conversation?

I go grocery shopping once or twice a week and when I do I naturally answer the cashier's greeting, but that isn't really a conversation. I also greet the bus driver most of the time, but that too is just that one word. If I run in to a neigbor while taking out the trash or something then I will naturally say hi (manners), but won't start a conversation. If they do so then I stick around to exchange a few words (again, manners), but I never start a conversation myself (except that one time that I was interested in my neighbor's dogs around the time I moved here.)

As for actual conversations, well, I'm currently in a training program four times a week and it just wouldn't be proper to not make some small talk there every day, not in this particular place I mean. Luckily my supervisor is the type that likes to chat more than to listen, so she's happy as long as she knows I'm listening and make small comments from time to time.
My mom tends to call or come over once or twice a week, but that's not exactly that bad since I know how to get her to leave me alone if it's a bad moment. My dad and my sisters come by from time to time since dad often passes by my place on his way home from work, my older sister works near my apartment and my sister's school is much closer to my place than hers, so she sometimes comes here to kill time while she waits for a ride home. I have a half sister too, but unless we meet at mom's place or something like that we're only in contact with each other few times a year.

As for friends, I mainly talk to them in the internet, but when I do see them face to face (a few times a year) it's often many of them during one weekend.

...Why'd I write all this? I could've just said that the time I use talking to people is a little below average but no, had to do it the long way. :lol:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 9:59 am

Only people I talk to daily is my husband and kids. I had a brief talk with my boss yesterday and he just lectured me about boxes because he thought I wasn't getting them off the floor. I think the co workers just put them on the elevator because I haven't gotten to that floor yet and I thought those boxes were left by others for them to take to the loading dock so I would leave them there. But he said they were leaving them there for me because I wasn't getting them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.