Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 4:34 pm

You know the concept of feeling down and then someone comforts you? Does that really happen to anyone in real life? Nothing ever makes me feel better.

Well not nothing. I was telling someone about being bullied as a child and they said, "I'm sorry to hear that happened to you." And I thought, wow, that's not something I hear very often. It was nice to have a feeling validated.

Ordinarily if I open up about how I'm feeling I get told platitudes that mean nothing and are no real assurance, or I get a lecture about how I'm not trying hard enough and I shouldn't still feel pain about a thing that happened to me only a year and a half ago or whenever. Or I'm not trying hard enough to better my situation.

What if anything comforts you?

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 4:49 pm

hurtloam wrote:
You know the concept of feeling down and then someone comforts you? Does that really happen to anyone in real life? Nothing ever makes me feel better.

Well not nothing. I was telling someone about being bullied as a child and they said, "I'm sorry to hear that happened to you." And I thought, wow, that's not something I hear very often. It was nice to have a feeling validated.
This comforts me. Someone recognising that I am upset for a reason.

Quote:
Ordinarily if I open up about how I'm feeling I get told platitudes that mean nothing and are no real assurance, or I get a lecture about how I'm not trying hard enough and I shouldn't still feel pain about a thing that happened to me only a year and a half ago or whenever. Or I'm not trying hard enough to better my situation.

When I'm upset people often say 'it doesn't matter' I get that they are trying to make me feel better, but it makes me feel worse. I always want to scream 'IT MATTERS TO ME' at them, but I can't, because it's usually my Mum.