Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 5:07 pm

Since I started having health problems, all I seem to get from people is greed, insults, or shunning.
My health started going downhill 6 years ago. After fighting through the pain and disability for two years, I became unable to work without getting trapped somewhere or falling down. I worked part time for a year, until I was refused new projects to work on. I filed for disability income three years ago. I have been getting the runaround from government agencies, instead of help.
People who I thought were my friends stopped socializing with me. They said I could count on them, and that they would help me with things, but action never happens. Organizations that should help me don't call back. Everyone seems to say one thing and do another. Most of the advice I get is to give them my possessions, abandon my three cats, and move to the slums. Other advice is to "Positive thinking will make your health problems go away."
I am barely subsisting on my military pension. Over the past few years, I sold all of my possessions that were worth anything to make ends meet. I am starting to give into anger and depression. I do not want to give into the dark side...

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 5:44 pm

I can understand I am also disabled the world is very isolating when you cannot take part in it sadly I have no advice to offer though I hope things work out for you.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 5:47 pm

Yeah. I'm also disabled and have to use a BiPap machine for my new ailment - Obstructive Sleep Apnea. And it's as if I don't have enough ailments! But you're right - getting older can be a pain in the tookus if your friends don't have your back and government agencies aren't returning your calls. I wish you luck, though.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 9:02 pm

I'm certainly glad you found WrongPlanet.

Don't listen to the naysayers.

Yep....that's the Government for you. Have you applied for SSDI? I heard that if you're rejected, that you can appeal. I've heard it recommended that one hires a "disability lawyer" on contingency. He/she would probably get about a third of any "backpay" you're entitled to.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 9:20 pm

How much do Americans get in disability benefits? I get about $160 a week plus my rent covered.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 9:34 pm

For SSI: about $750 a month, if you're living alone. Less, if you're living with you parents. Not including rent. Rent might be covered by something called "Section 8." You get totally free medical benefits (Medicaid), though. And SNAP (Food Stamps).

For SSDI: Usually more. Sometimes over $1,000. Not including rent. You also get Medicaid, SNAP, and perhaps Section 8.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 9:40 pm

I'm really surprised at how high that is especially when you consider cost of living in cheaper in the US too.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 9:43 pm

Housing costs can be extremely high in the US. Especially on the East and West coasts.

Bread costs much less in the UK than it does in the US. A decent loaf of bread can be had in the UK for about 1 Pound, or about $1.42. Meat prices are higher, too.

You can get decent snacks in the UK for less than in the US. About $2.50 for a meat pie and a coke at Greggs.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 10:11 pm

I am trying to get to a lawyer this week. In my state, the fee is capped at 25% of back pay. I should have hired one to begin with instead of trusting the government to deal honestly with me. They keep "losing my paperwork" in their office. The amount you pay into the system determines how much you get back above the minimum amount.
Thanks for the moral support.

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 10:23 pm

I hope everything gets sorted out soon so you have less stress to deal with, and thank you for your service to our country!