"Peter Rabbit" filmmakers apologize making fun of allergies

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 5:23 pm

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/peter-rabbit-filmmakers-apologize-for-making-fun-of-allergies/

Quote:
Allergies are no joke, and the filmmakers of "Peter Rabbit" are learning that the hard way. The filmmakers and studio behind the children's movie are apologizing for insensitively depicting a character's allergy in the film that has prompted backlash online.

Sony Pictures says Sunday in a joint statement with the filmmakers that "food allergies and are a serious issue" and the film "should not have made light" of a character being allergic to blackberries "even in a cartoonish, slapstick way."

In "Peter Rabbit" which was released this weekend, the character of Mr. McGregor is allergic to blackberries. The rabbits fling the fruit at him in a scene and he is forced to use an EpiPen.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 5:58 pm

I think that they should apologise for taking a beautiful children's story and turning it into a "trendy", pop cultural mess.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 6:20 pm

I swear, 10 years ago I would have been 100% certain before opening this thread that it would have been an article from the Onion or some other satirical publication. Holy f*****g shitballs!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 9:15 pm

People need to grow a thicker skin and tuffen up.
:roll: :roll:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 9:25 pm

This is no laughing matter, those EpiPens are really expensive.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 9:31 pm

EzraS wrote:
This is no laughing matter, those EpiPens are really expensive.

... and we all know what my solution for this is! :D :D :D

C'est la lutte finale
Groupons-nous, et demain
L'Internationale
Sera le genre humain

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 7:51 am

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
I think that they should apologise for taking a beautiful children's story and turning it into a "trendy", pop cultural mess.

Um, I wouldn't exactly call the story of Peter Rabbit beautiful. 8O

In fact, the original story is really quite dark (especially the ending). Not too long ago I was sorting through a bunch of my old books, and came across a collection of Bellatrix Potter's stories.

Now, this is getting into spoiler territory, but I decided to re-read "Peter Rabbit", and no.1) it is implied that he had sex with his cousin, the book states that it is his cousin, and they have a lot of children together.

Point no.2) the book ends with one of the rabbits getting skinned (possibly whilst alive) by the farmer and his wife.

...You know, for kids! :lol:

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 8:29 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

In fact, the original story is really quite dark (especially the ending). Not too long ago I was sorting through a bunch of my old books, and came across a collection of Bellatrix Potter's stories.

Now, this is getting into spoiler territory, but I decided to re-read "Peter Rabbit", and no.1) it is implied that he had sex with his cousin, the book states that it is his cousin, and they have a lot of children together.

Point no.2) the book ends with one of the rabbits getting skinned (possibly whilst alive) by the farmer and his wife.

I'm just gonna say "Watership Down", and leave it at that.

Seff
Raven
Raven

14 Feb 2018, 8:32 am

I have seen a lot of backlash about this, and I’ve seen a lot of people crying that others need to ‘toughen up’

I’m not sure how I feel about it as in anything other than a kids film this would be alright in my mind, but as I have a 2 and a half year old son who we are trying to teach that he can’t throw peas at mummy or put them on her plate as she is highly allergic to them, then yes it is a problem as he would probably watch the film and think it’s ok to carry on trying to fling peas at mum.

On another note, my son loves peter rabbit, and I was considering taking him to see this as his first film, but after seeing the trailer and how terrible it looks, and also learning that the massive waste of space known as James Corden is in it, I will not be taking him to see this film as I cannot stand James Corden!! :lol:

Also, yes, watership down is the most harrowing film made for kids ever!

Your neurodiverse score: 177 of 200
Your neurotypical score: 34 of 200

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 9:12 am

Lost_dragon wrote:
DarthMetaKnight wrote:

I've heard that about a few children's tales. Like in the original Cinderella the step mother chopping the toes off a step sister to try making the glass slipper fit.

Here comes Peter Cottentail, hoppin down the bunny trail *bang!* mmm tastes like chicken. There goes Mr. McGregor, going into anaphylactic shock wee!

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 5:25 pm

EzraS wrote:
I've heard that about a few children's tales. Like in the original Cinderella the step mother chopping the toes off a step sister to try making the glass slipper fit.

That's pretty mild. In the original Little Mermaid, her fish-tail is grapically and bloodily split in two when she gets her leg. In the end, she dies and melts into sea foam, with the final paragraphs informing the reader/presumed listeners that since she's a mermaid and not a human, she has no soul with which to go to heaven. But if little children are good and pray hard enough for long enough, she might eventually be granted one.

In the original Sleeping Beauty, our Beauty is a rather heavy sleeper, so it takes a bit more than a kiss to wake her up. Luckily, a king with rather Quagmire-esque ideas of what the chivalrous thing to do is when coming across unconscious women happens by. Beauty is awakened, not by her rape, not by giving birth to twins, but by having one of her children suck a magical flax-splinter from her finger. Oh, and the king is married and his wife wants to cook the babies and serve them to him as a clever comeback to his infidelity.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 5:43 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
That's pretty mild. In the original Little Mermaid, her fish-tail is grapically and bloodily split in two when she gets her leg. In the end, she dies and melts into sea foam, with the final paragraphs informing the reader/presumed listeners that since she's a mermaid and not a human, she has no soul with which to go to heaven. But if little children are good and pray hard enough for long enough, she might eventually be granted one.

In the original Sleeping Beauty, our Beauty is a rather heavy sleeper, so it takes a bit more than a kiss to wake her up. Luckily, a king with rather Quagmire-esque ideas of what the chivalrous thing to do is when coming across unconscious women happens by. Beauty is awakened, not by her rape, not by giving birth to twins, but by having one of her children suck a magical flax-splinter from her finger. Oh, and the king is married and his wife wants to cook the babies and serve them to him as a clever comeback to his infidelity.

For some reason, the original versions of classic fairy tales tend to have a lot of infanticide.

Babies: the other white meat

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 8:31 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
EzraS wrote:

That is some bizarre shite. I don't even want to think about what the seven dwarves were up to.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:06 pm

The whole movie looks like a pile of rabbit droppings to me. Has Hollywood learned nothing after The Cat and the Hat??? I hope a massive earthquake sends tinsel town rolling into the ocean. :evil:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 2:24 am

My thoughts on this are, I don't care if they put a scene in this 'Peter Rabbit' film, didn't even know there was one till I saw stuff about this on here and facebook. Its a fictional movie anyways, like there is a real life situation rabbits would target someone with blueberry allergies to throw bluberries at them... :roll:

Its not like anyone has to watch that movie if they don't want to, I saw some comments about from people who use those things who either don't care or even thought it was funny...perhaps we should ask people who use epi-pens how they feel about the scene before deciding its so offensive. Some even pointed out it is a good reminder to always keep one with you if you have severe allergies.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 6:29 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
The whole movie looks like a pile of rabbit droppings to me. Has Hollywood learned nothing after The Cat and the Hat??? I hope a massive earthquake sends tinsel town rolling into the ocean. :evil:

I might be weird but I did like the Cat in the hat movie, I guess they had to add a few more things to make it interesting, they added a few more things in The Grinch but somehow it worked.