Are the Olympics weird for anyone else?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 9:12 pm

Does anyone else find the Olympics weird to watch? On one hand I do like to see what the human body is capable of, I know I hyperfocus on exercise and overtrain myself just to be grounded. But on the other hand, why would someone be so crazy to every day risk breaking their neck just for the competition of it? The amount of money athletes spend on training, the language of the commentators, the scoring, the arbitrary nature of sports in general is all so odd to me to watch.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 10:19 pm

Participating in sports is often about the adrenaline rush combined with pride. Most of the time I don't watch sports because I don't personally know the athletes. Sometimes I watch because the feats are amazing to see.

PearlsofWisdom
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Feb 2018, 6:08 pm

starcats wrote:
Does anyone else find the Olympics weird to watch? The amount of money athletes spend on training, the language of the commentators, the scoring, the arbitrary nature of sports in general is all so odd to me to watch.

The women and mens halfpipe snowboarding is clearly dangerous to a non sports athelete, and even when actively involved with the sport I suspect people still rant on about crazy it is. Sponsors need solid backing from sports governing bodies and not everyone gets the amount in the pot that they need to fund all sports athletes.
I personally love watching it, and huge congrats to Shaun White who just so happened to win American's 100th Gold Olympic Medal.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 7:11 pm

A structured weird yes.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 7:42 pm

I think sometimes people get weird about the Olympics...

If I recall during the last one lots of people where so upset and butt-hurt that some long-time gold medal swimming champion Micheal Phelps, was finally beaten by a younger athlete, at least that is the impression I had on facebook.

I mean it wouldn't be a competition if there isn't room for previous champions to be beat.

Last edited by Sweetleaf on 16 Feb 2018, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 7:45 pm

Don't mess with my Olympics! LOL

Seriously.....I wish the Olympics would be more like they were "back in the day," when Jesse Owens proved the Nazis wrong.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 11:35 pm

I do not like competitive sports so the Olympics really don't do anything for me. It also annoys me how normally sensible non-sporty people will suddenly sit up all night watching sport and talk about it as if they know what they are talking about :? Armchair experts always rub me the wrong way.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 5:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Don't mess with my Olympics! LOL

Seriously.....I wish the Olympics would be more like they were "back in the day," when Jesse Owens proved the Nazis wrong.

Yes, maybe that's what I'm feeling is weird. I like sports, I teach sports. The pageantry of it now + super human feats only possible with peds is too much. Old school would be nice to watch.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 10:21 pm

I like the Olympic Games. My favorite Winter Olympics sport is figure skating.

Gazelle
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 10:20 pm

Yes some sports are not my favorite and really do not see the appeal of downhill skiing at 65 mph and then get injured from it, have surgery, and go back and do it again, why. Really like watching all types of ice skating from figure skating to speed skating and love cross country skiing. Curling is difficult to understand and do respect the dedication and intensity of athletes involved with curling (it just looks like sweeping the floor or ice):).

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 1:17 am

The only part about them that's weird to me is the lack of motorsports. No drifting; don't care.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2018, 1:29 am

Yes. The Olympics are weird for me. I always get really jealous of the athletes. First I envy their amazing talent, then I envy the amazing work ethic they used to attain that level of talent. Compared to them I'm quite lazy and I lack direction.

I think this says more about me and how Effed up my mind is than it says about them. It's not healthy that my measure of everyone is how they compare to me. I should be able to assess them without reference to myself.

PlanarFracture
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Mar 2018, 11:09 am

Never had much interest in the Olympics, though I personally like sports. I enjoy the concept behind bringing humans from all over the world together through competition, that itself one of the few ways to do just that, it seems. I find it hard watching the human emotions behind Olympics footage though, the times when someone makes a mistake and the camera seems to revel in their distress, knowing how long they've been training for that one moment.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 11:11 am

Never been a fan of the actual games, but highly fascinated with the history of the games, specifically the venues.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 9:11 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Yes. The Olympics are weird for me. I always get really jealous of the athletes. First I envy their amazing talent, then I envy the amazing work ethic they used to attain that level of talent. Compared to them I'm quite lazy and I lack direction.

I think this says more about me and how Effed up my mind is than it says about them. It's not healthy that my measure of everyone is how they compare to me. I should be able to assess them without reference to myself.

I never thought of this before, but that is absolutely true for me, too!

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 10:39 pm

In a way.
The competitors are so disciplined I often feel like I'm watching robots perform.
I do admire their skill, though.