50g Paid To Man With Severe Autism suspected of murder

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 1:15 am

$50,000 Paid To Man with Severe Autism Suspected of Murder

Quote:
Brighton police have apologized and paid a man with severe autism $50,000 after mistaking him for a wanted murder suspect.

Police held him at gunpoint, handcuffed and tasered the 25-year-old man.

autistic man arrested 10pkg transfer frame 210 $50,000 Paid To Man With Severe Autism Mistaken For Murder Suspect

CBS4 learned that the actual suspect had been arrested eight hours earlier and was already in jail when Brighton officers “took down” Joshua Sands.

“All bad and made me super, extremely angry, and it made me decide I’m never going back to Brighton again,” Sands told CBS4.

Sands’ autism makes it difficult for him to work. So most days, he rides buses around the metro area. He often takes a bus to Brighton to the Target store at 2171 Prairie Parkway and stops in for a slice of pizza.

That’s what he did April 4, 2017. But as he sat alone eating pizza, a shopper saw Sands and thought he looked like a wanted murder suspect from Wyoming who was thought to be in the Denver area.

Local news outlets had broadcast pictures of that suspect, Trevor Lee Sanford, 30, on their news broadcasts. Brighton police were called and alerted to the sighting.

For some reason, Brighton police were either unaware of the arrest or didn’t check on the status of Sanford, who was sitting in jail three and a half miles from the Target store.

John Bradley, a spokesperson for the Brighton Police Department told CBS4, “Nobody told us. We didn’t know” about the Sanford arrest.

Seven Brighton police officers approached Sands – at least one with his gun drawn – physically restrained him and took him to the ground.

Police reports indicate Sands struggled. One officer deployed his taser on Sands who had no idea why police had jumped him.

“I was minding my own business eating my meal. They said ‘you’re under arrest’ and restrained me and cuffed me. Pretty painful and scary,” Sands said of the experience.

Within a short time, Brighton police realized their mistake.

Southard said officers were compassionate and offered Sands a ride home, which he declined.

Faced with a threatened lawsuit, BPD paid Sands $50,000 in December, but Sands’ father is still fuming.

Sgt. Domenico wrote, “It became apparent he had some developmental delays. It did not appear Sands was able to comprehend. Based off the circumstances, and Sands mental status, it was decided not to charge him with interference for failing to obey the commands given to him.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 1:27 am

How kind of them to decide not to charge him with interference for failing to obey commands. Their largess knows no bounds :? At least they didn't shoot him :ninja:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 5:17 am

bunnyb wrote:
How kind of them to decide not to charge him with interference for failing to obey commands. Their largess knows no bounds :? At least they didn't shoot him :ninja:

Yeah that last part, good grief. If I was jumped like that my mind would be in total chaos and the only thing in control would be primal instinct.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 3:54 pm

bunnyb wrote:

That seems to be pretty standard in the USA.. if cops command you to do something, you comply - or, maybe, you die.

TV/News headlines make American police seem VERY aggressive in this regard. So, the fact that they didn't charge him for not obeying their commands is an "apology," of sorts from an American police force.