Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 4:55 am

I did not get a flu shot this year, because my husband couldn't afford one himself, even though I could with my medical insurance. Now I am regretting not getting one, because the flu is supposed to be severe this time of year, and I kept finding news articles of people dying from the flu, and even sepsis. And now it's much too late to get one now.

I honestly don't want to die. This is keeping me awake, and I can't talk to my husband now because it is the middle of the night and he is sleeping now. I should be asleep, too, but I can't knowing I could die from something that is totally preventable. I will be seeing my doctor later today for issues related to my medication, so hopefully I can bring this concern with him and his nurse. I really don't know what they'll say, if anything.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 5:09 am

Should be able to go to any Walgreens and get it?

I didn’t and got flue or bad cold. Sadly I didn’t die from it was just sick for 3 weeks. God couldn’t let me die the. My totrue would end.

Anyways, I don’t think most people die from the flue, most are fine like me just sick did while.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 9:41 am

You can still get a flu shot. I had the flu a couple weeks ago and got tamiflu and antibiotics and was fine. Most people won't die from it, and the flu shot doesn't prevent every type of flu that's out there this year but you can still get one.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:05 am

Very few people die from the flu----unless they are immunocompromised in some way....or they are just very old and frail.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:27 am

Isn't there some big bad flu virus or ebola or whatever every year?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:30 am

The flu occurs every year; its virulence varies. It was somewhat more virulent this year than in other years, and more people have contracted it. I caught it about December 23, and its effects lasted until the New Year. I still went to work every day.

Ebola is very different from the flu. At least half who contract it die from it. There was a severe outbreak a couple of years ago; but it's more localized these days. I believe there is a vaccine for it now.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 12:12 pm

WitchsCat wrote:
I did not get a flu shot this year, because my husband couldn't afford one himself, even though I could with my medical insurance. Now I am regretting not getting one, because the flu is supposed to be severe this time of year, and I kept finding news articles of people dying from the flu, and even sepsis. And now it's much too late to get one now.

I honestly don't want to die. This is keeping me awake, and I can't talk to my husband now because it is the middle of the night and he is sleeping now. I should be asleep, too, but I can't knowing I could die from something that is totally preventable. I will be seeing my doctor later today for issues related to my medication, so hopefully I can bring this concern with him and his nurse. I really don't know what they'll say, if anything.

Well you are 30 so still fairly young, and how is your health usually? Typically young children, older people and those with a compromised immunity/ability to fight of sickness are more at risk of death from something like the flu. So it probably wont kill you even if you did catch it. Just take care of yourself, maybe go to the store and get some immunity boosters like some emergen-c, and tea or capsules with echinacea and make sure you stay hydrated enough.

I never get the flu vaccine, last time was probably sometime when I was a teen and my mom wanted me to.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 12:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The flu occurs every year; its virulence varies. It was somewhat more virulent this year than in other years, and more people have contracted it. I caught it about December 23, and its effects lasted until the New Year. I still went to work every day.

Ebola is very different from the flu. At least half who contract it die from it. There was a severe outbreak a couple of years ago; but it's more localized these days. I believe there is a vaccine for it now.

But isn't it contagious, not sure you should go to work if you have the flu.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 12:16 pm

Hi Sweetleaf,

My health overall is fine, and I almost never get sick. Come to think of it, when I was at school, I didn't get flu shots then either, because I didn't have Medicaid at the time. I didn't get sick then, either, until the summer I graduated from high school, when I got norovirus.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 12:23 pm

I had to go to work......

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 12:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I had to go to work......

Well than I'd say if anyone got the flu from you at work, its the fault of the employer for making you come to work. :lol:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 12:29 pm

Nobody got the flu from me. I was alone most of the time.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 12:34 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
You can still get a flu shot. I had the flu a couple weeks ago and got tamiflu and antibiotics and was fine. Most people won't die from it, and the flu shot doesn't prevent every type of flu that's out there this year but you can still get one.

Antibiotics are worthless for the flu. Influenza is a virus, antibiotics only work on bacterial infections. It's possibly the reason why there are now superbugs that are now resistant to antibiotics. It drives me crazy when people still take them for a virus.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 12:40 pm

Chances are you will get sick under the flu shot—but less sick than if you don’t.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 5:25 pm

This article (and the comments) is scaring me... :(

https://www.buzzfeed.com/danvergano/us- ... lkB0gADrA6

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 5:33 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:

Antibiotics are worthless for the flu. Influenza is a virus, antibiotics only work on bacterial infections. It's possibly the reason why there are now superbugs that are now resistant to antibiotics. It drives me crazy when people still take them for a virus.

I was given the antibiotics to prevent a secondary infection, not to treat a virus.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com