Page 3 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

TallsUK
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Feb 2018, 4:33 am

As there is no biological test for autism it must be considered a social construction. This means that while diagnostic manuals and training helps with standardisation, there is always going to be a grey area with different psychologists using their own judgement. That is why an official diagnosis can only ever be a legal statement and little else. This is of course exasperated by the continually changing diagnostic criteria. However, the diagnosis element is a bet of a moot point.

That being said it does of course mean a lot to individuals on a personal level. I know that being official recognised helped me deal with a lot of issues I had previously faced and. Until I had that, the nagging doubt that it was just one of my strange special interests and that I was not really autistic (yes, i get the irony).

My real concern is that many people still think that autism is linked to intelligence. As a result many people are not that they are autistic and they are not likely to think they have something classed as a disability. I know teachers frequently say 'that pupil can't be autistic he is too smart'. The majority of autistic students have noticeable academic issues while I see others who have stereotypical autistic difficulties but are academically capable that are able to stay well under the radar.

Combine this with the fact that there is little reason, other than personal piece of mind, for a professional person to obtain a diagnosis. For an adult, the only support available just now is the stuff you pay for by yourself. While telling someone you are autistic should lead to lots of help but in reality that does not happen. Why would someone in that situation want to put them in a position of being discriminated against when there is so little to gain?

There are various reasons why I see this as important:

1. If intelligent autistics are not being officially diagnosed it in turn reinforces the stereotype linking ASD and intellectual challenges.

2. Some people with all the usual ASD challenges may not consider autism as a possibility because they are of average intelligence. Seeing other professionals in a similar situation may help them.

3. Having tried to get by on my own for many years, I now know that I need external help. I think there are many autistic professionals who could also help me and I might be able to help them. However, if they don't engage with the community none of us may benefit.