Page 1 of 3 [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

TallsUK
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2018, 8:12 am

Someone recently described two types of autistic individual:

Type one - Meaning someone who held a full diagnosis

Type two - Meaning someone who felt confident and knowledgeable enough to identify as autistic but who did not have a formal diagnosis.

The examples I was given were of professional working people who would be a good role model to anyone. I have a friend who matches type two perfectly. While I think these are fair descriptions and have many positive aspects I have been wondering if there is a potential downside.

Whilst I fully appreciate that that type two individuals may wish to avoid much of the stigma attached to autism, by refusing to formally identify themselves, is it possible that they are enhancing the social stigma?

Secondly, is it possible that research is not fully taking these individuals into account which in turn is painting a misleading picture of autism?

I should state that I don't think anyone should be forced to be formally assessed or to share the results. That is not what I am saying. I am just wondering if this is something to be considered.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 8:54 am

I've never seen type 1 and 2 applied to autism, just diabetes. Just diagnosed and undiagnosed. But there is level 1, 2 and 3 autism.

TallsUK
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2018, 8:58 am

I had not heard of described as type 1 or 2 until recently but I instantly recognised the description. I think it is more the concept that is important here and not the names.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 9:09 am

TallsUK wrote:
I had not heard of described as type 1 or 2 until recently but I instantly recognised the description. I think it is more the concept that is important here and not the names.

I agree. Just thinking out loud I guess. I don't quite get the concepts due to autistic denseness. But I'm sure others will.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 9:13 am

Having been rushed roughshod on Sunday through check out by a cashier at a local Sprouts Farmers Market grocery (crushing and damaging some items while pushing me literally through the line to attend others behind me despite me asking questions and protesting), I had a public (and later, private) meltdown for the first time in a while by pounding loudly on the manager's door. I heard a chorus of other staffers behind me ask if they "could help me." I was extremely confused and wondered if I even paid the correct amount. While hiding behind a stack of displayed food items near the deli department after the meltdown (I didn't want anyone seeing me while I calmed down), I had asked to speak to the store manager. When he arrived, I was staring at the floor in front of me, and completely nonverbal. He asked if he could help me. My mouth moved, but I said nothing. He insisted that he would help me. In a slow trek back to an unused check-out line he chatted with me like any other 20-something young man would, and said that he could solve a Rubik's Cube blindfolded. He described his girlfriend's kind opinion of him being "a little strange and weird." I realized that he was searching to understand my behaviors, and I ventured to ask, "so, you're autistic, too?" He laughed and said that he believed he probably was, but hadn't been diagnosed. I ended up sending an e-mail message to the corporate national office about his help. The office staff replied on Monday, and said that he would receive a commendation for "going above and beyond" to help an old man with autism (my words, not theirs). :D

So, is he a Type 2 (ASD Level 1) autist? As he walked me to my car, he and I believed that he is. The "private" meltdown involved appreciating what the manager did for me while I drove home (it isn't easy to drive while crying).

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Last edited by AspieUtah on 14 Feb 2018, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 9:14 am

Brand new concept to me. Not in any of the diagnostic manuals.

I see nothing wrong with a self-diagnosed person not getting a formal assessment. It usually costs quite a bit of either money or waiting time.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:17 am

Aspie Utah, your story really moved me. What a great exchange. Sure he was really moved too. You seem like the kind of person that attracts good people!

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:26 am

With that kind of terminology, my daughter would be type 1 and I would be a likely type 2. However we might both equally be type 1s (if my parents had paid more attention to my head banging, my hiding in the basement crying to not have to be social, my constant perfect academic record, my eating disorder and on and on!) or we could both equally both be type 2s (if I would have paid more attention to all the ignorant teachers and GPs telling me I was crazy for insisting my daughter had autism).

I think there are so many type 2s out there. In particular high functioning cognitively able females. I would never ever have considered the red thread going through my life to have been autism if it weren't for my daughter. So many people must live and die never knowing.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:30 am

elsapelsa wrote:
Aspie Utah, your story really moved me. What a great exchange. Sure he was really moved too. You seem like the kind of person that attracts good people!

Aw, thank you! He was, in fact, quite happy to see me recover quickly and relax. Yes, I attract some nice karma, just occasionally. Your message, for example.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:44 am

AspieUtah wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:

Aw, thank you! He was, in fact, quite happy to see me recover quickly and relax. Yes, I attract some nice karma, just occasionally. Your message, for example.

I am glad you do, it seems well deserved! :D

TallsUK
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2018, 11:53 am

AspieUtah wrote:
So, is he a Type 2 (ASD Level 1) autist? As he walked me to my car, he and I believed that he is. The "private" meltdown involved appreciating what the manager did for me while I drove home (it isn't easy to drive while crying).

That is a lovely story and yes that is it exactly what I am thinking. I wonder if having more people like that open recognised as autistic may improve the general opinion of the condition.

While I appreciate that things such as time and money do have to be factored in, I think I am more interested in the intent. Someone that would like an assessment but cannot afford one maybe type one but someone who can afford one but chooses not to is more likely type two.

I guess what I am asking is should people be encouraged to be formally assessed for the greater good?

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 12:00 pm

I paid 3000 gbp for my daughter's assessment. And much more if you count the private art therapy and occupational therapy for sensory issues.

The assessment was extremely intense. I could go through that for her but I could not go through it for myself even if money wasn't an issue.

Last edited by elsapelsa on 14 Feb 2018, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nira
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Feb 2018, 12:03 pm

TallsUK wrote:
Someone recently described two types of autistic individual:

Type one - Meaning someone who held a full diagnosis

Type two - Meaning someone who felt confident and knowledgeable enough to identify as autistic but who did not have a formal diagnosis.

And when my psychologist told me, that I have probably AS, this will be type 1.5. :)

leahbear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Feb 2018, 2:41 pm

I would love to have an assessment. In Canada once you're out of high school you're on your own. $2000 - $4000 for the assessment. I get a score of 192 on the RAADS-R and all other tests I take point the same way. I remember how I felt as a child and my social, sensory, anxiety, and gut issues were all there. I was a gifted kid and just tried to ignore my issues so I could do what was expected of me. I managed to finish my university degree in Computer Science even though I had to learn everything on my own at home. With all of the people in my classes and labs, my anxiety was so high that I retained very little of the spoken information. I had a shiny new degree and couldn't make myself apply for any related jobs. I'm almost perfect on written exams but when people ask me questions it's like I don't have access to my brain. How would I ever get through a technical interview with a group of people? So I worked in a warehouse till my sensory and social issues got to be too much and I quit. My next job was seasonal work- half in an office, half in the field. Huge miscommunications with my boss that I tried but couldn't sort out and my sensory issues just kept getting worse with my increasing stress until I felt like a cornered animal all day long and my autoimmune conditions flared up and I couldn't take the pain anymore and just went home. I'm extremely lucky to have a partner that could take care of me through all of this. What's my point? Some undiagnosed people can really struggle too. I haven't met most of the grown up milestones (no career, car, house, kids, friends, family) but I do have my education and my boyfriend.

I think when the cause of autism is genetic in families it can get lost. "Oh, that's just how we are!" Some families, like my dad's come up with good coping strategies and pass them down and these people can have happy, fulfilled lives never knowing that they're neurologically different. Other families, like my mom (who raised me) have crap coping strategies like denial and mimicry/masking which can lead to a life of struggle, confusion, self doubt and fear.

I feel like such a big burden has been lifted from me since recently discovering AS. I doubt there'd be any support for me as an officially diagnosed adult in Canada so I don't know if I'll ever bother. WP is better than therapy for me right now I think. Part of me would love an official diagnosis so I could proudly tell the world that I'm autistic. I've told my boyfriend, my parents, one of my siblings and my one long distance friend. I don't know how the autistic community feels about self diagnosed adults. I've seen some horrible mean things that makes me want to hide away and forget all about it but I know in my soul that this is me, and I'm finding help here so I'll probably stick around. Sorry for the long post, this stuff has been rattling around in my head.

AnnaOMalley
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Feb 2018, 2:51 pm

The problem with this is that you can’t diagnose yourself with autism. Someone may display autistic traits (e.g.: being socially awkward, having sensory issues, etc.), but causation doesn’t equal correlation. My roommate has sensory issues and tends to be introverted, but that’s as a result of Sensory Processing Disorder, not autism. I highly advise against calling yourself autistic unless you have an official diagnosis.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 3:00 pm

leahbear wrote:
I think when the cause of autism is genetic in families it can get lost. "Oh, that's just how we are!" Some families, like my dad's come up with good coping strategies and pass them down and these people can have happy, fulfilled lives never knowing that they're neurologically different. Other families, like my mom (who raised me) have crap coping strategies like denial and mimicry/masking which can lead to a life of struggle, confusion, self doubt and fear.

^^

I think this is a really important point and very well made. Sorry for your struggles with work but glad that you are in a good place with a supporting partner.