How do you explain Aspergers?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Feb 2018, 12:09 pm

Usually when I tell people I have aspergers they respond "What's that?" and I have to explain what it is to them. I usually tell them that it means my brain works a little differently than theirs so I can be really socially awkward and can't read body language that well. Every single time, without fail, that results in them saying "Oh I'm awkward too so I completely understand!" And I'm like no... no you don't. Does anybody have a better way of explaining it that doesn't just make it sound like a special word for being an introvert?

FunkyPunky
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Feb 2018, 2:39 pm

Really? Nobody?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 2:45 pm

the feeling of being forced to play a game according to rules you were never taught.

running alongside a bus you were supposed to board and seeing everyone you know in there as they leave, as you try to catch up and get in.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 3:07 pm

My thought process is different.
NTs have "instinctual reactions" to social cues. Reactions to objects must be imperfectly learned.
I have "instinctual reactions" to objects. Reactions to social cues must be imperfectly learned.
I am an engineer.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 3:22 pm

Dont forget to mention we have sensory overload, memory problems, trouble digesting certain foods...

KittySpit
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Feb 2018, 11:12 am

Aspergers gets no respect. It really isn't taken seriously. Especially now that it's part of pop culture and people are almost envious of it, with no knowledge of how it's an actual disability. Autism is. But don't say you're on the spectrum, because then the response will be "everyone's a little on the spectrum."

I disclose I am autistic at the earliest opportunity without any explanation and then suss out what that person knows and then make corrections from there. But the problem is, regardless of what they think they know, their knowledge is typically only academic. So they might be mentally aware that you might say something wrong/odd, but when it actually happens it won't register and they'll still get pissed off. If they're good people, they'll circle back. If they're not worth your time, they will find a way out.

Ideally it would be great to have the presence of mind to highlight every time you were having an Aspie moment so they can witness what it is in real time. But, being an Aspie, that may take a few hours, days, or years to figure out.