At least 17 dead in Florida School Shooting

Page 14 of 18 [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 2:31 pm

eikonabridge wrote:
Mass shooting monsters are not born that way. They are made that way. Our society has raised these monsters. But no one is taking responsibility.

You are absolutely right, elkonabridge. This society has focused, for a long time, on evading responsibility. Instead, the emphasis is on 'control' of the many, for the benefit of the few. This is done at the expense of pretty much everything else, and that makes monsters of many. Autism is a wiring difference, takes many forms, is not inherently bad, nor are we.

Hugs.

(edit in: @goldfish: waaaaaaay back when, during the Fat Free Craze in the US, I noted that my mother's parents seemed pretty durable. They were hill folk. Grew up eating what they caught (you don't want to know. Squirrel. Woodchuck. Opossum. Deer. Rabbit. Crayfish.) Raised their own veg. And didn't fuss about saturated fat, complex carbs, whatever. Guess what? Granddad was 101 when he died, Grandma was 100. Well, long before they passed away, I decided that what worked for them - without the wildlife diet - should work for me too. So I try to eat like they did, again with the exception of hunting the local fauna. Doesn't always work (damn potato chips) but I try, and when I succeed, I feel years younger.)

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 3:42 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 4:19 pm

This article is worth reading, no matter where you are on the political spectrum. Ignore the title if possible, and focus on the content.

https://www.alternet.org/personal-healt ... depression

Here's the money quote (emphasis mine):

Quote:
The notion that depression isn't a disease, but a normal response to abnormal life experiences wouldn't surprise most of us, except for the fact that we live in a culture which pathologizes psychic suffering as a disorder within individuals, rather than as suffering that makes sense given a pathological environment. The cost of such victim blaming is high. If you believe = depression is solely a result of disordered brain chemistry, you don't have to think about your life and about what other people may have done to you. It's painful to think along these lines, which may be one of the reasons why a biological explanation is often easier. As Hari says, quoting Dr. Robert Anda who worked on the ACE study, "When people have these kinds of problems, it's time to stop asking what's wrong with them, and time to start asking what happened to them."

Edit in: Holy $h!+.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Last edited by Esmerelda Weatherwax on 25 Feb 2018, 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 4:31 pm

Records Show Far More Calls For Sheriff's Deputies To Visit Suspected Florida Shooter's Home

Broward County sheriff's officials have publicly insisted they responded to just 23 calls regarding the suspected Florida school shooter and his family over the years, but records obtained BuzzFeed News show at least 22 more.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/salvad ... -cruz-home

There Are Four Lights!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 6:53 pm

23 is still quite a bit of calls.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 8:09 pm

Barack Obama's response to questions about gun control:

https://www.facebook.com/TheGuardiansOf ... 318719292/

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 9:41 pm

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2018, 11:00 pm

Even (some) army veterans are supporting gun control now.

I just find that fascinating. Republicans will hold up veterans as though they are the ultimate heroes ... until they disagree with the hard right.

As a matter of fact, that happens more often than you'd think.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 12:33 am

Student, Anthony Borges, took 5 bullets to save 20 other people. I was just thinking he deserves a college fund. Did a quick search and found that over $589,000.00USD has been donated to help his family out during his recovery. I truly hope the money goes further than that and he doesn't have to worry about how he's going to pay for college.

https://www.gofundme.com/anthonyborges

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 2:40 am

unfortunately, that amount of money may not even fully cover his total medical costs going forward, here.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 2:41 am

better hope he and his family have damn good insurance.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 2:56 am

The shooter has an a $800,000 trust fund.

Also heard the shooter is claiming that demons are responsible for his murder spree. The ol "the devil made me do it" defence.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 3:22 am

auntblabby wrote:
unfortunately, that amount of money may not even fully cover his total medical costs going forward, here.

Maybe/maybe not.. depends on his insurance, I suppose. Their goal was to raise $500K & they did it and then some. Hopefully it's more than they need for medical bills. I know he was shot 5 times & is expected to make a full physical recovery, so it doesn't sound like he's in need of obscenely expensive surgeries to try to put internal organs back together or anything. Not to downplay his injuries, but many people recover well from bullet wounds.

What's likely to cost more than half a million dollars in medical costs?

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 3:33 am

EzraS wrote:
I'm really an Albanian grandmother.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 3:36 am

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2018, 3:37 am

goldfish21 wrote:
What's likely to cost more than half a million dollars in medical costs?

anything spinal-related, or brain-related, or requiring multiple surgeries over time to fix. a broken neck bankrupted the late Christopher Reeve.