At least 17 dead in Florida School Shooting

Page 1 of 18 [ 275 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 5:26 pm

Florida high school shooting: Here's what we know

Quote:
A shooting occurred about 2 p.m. Wednesday at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, about 30 miles northwest of Fort Lauderdale

Broward County Public Schools reported the shooting occurred near dismissal time, when staff and students said they heard the sounds of gunfire.

Some students said a fire alarm sounded before the gunfire.

The school was placed on lockdown. Television footage showed students running from the school with their arms in the air, tossing backpacks into a pile. Some students were being treated on the sidewalks and loaded into ambulances.

The gunman was at large before being taken into custody roughly two hours after the shooting.

Officials said numerous people are dead and more than 20 others are injured.

The Broward County Sheriff's Office reported at least 14 victims, but would not clarify how many of those were fatalities or injuries. Margate (Fla.) Fire Chief Dan Booker described the incident as a mass casualty incident to the Miami Herald.

"It's a horrific situation. It's just a horrible day for us," said Broward Superintendent Robert Runcie. "...This is a day we prayed would never happen in our county."

The name of the gunman has not yet been reported.

Police said he wore a hoodie and had red hair, possibly attended the school and was a member of Junior ROTC. Broward Superintendent Robert Runcie said he may be a former student.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 14 Feb 2018, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 5:54 pm

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 5:56 pm

Looks like the prayers that this would never happen in their county didn't work, perhaps more than prayer was needed.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 6:01 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Looks like the prayers that this would never happen in their county didn't work, perhaps more than prayer was needed.

Yep, he was a troubled student with a history. Apparently the punishments were not strong enough, should have harsher punishments to prevent this s**t.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 6:07 pm

SH90 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Yep, he was a troubled student with a history. Apparently the punishments were not strong enough, should have harsher punishments to prevent this s**t.

Perhaps we should listen to troubled youths instead of being even harsher towards them.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 6:29 pm

SH90 wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

What kind of a history exactly? then again it may be to early to speculate on details like that. Also though not sure how harsher punishments in general would really address or fix the problem.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 8:59 pm

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting in Florida: what we know

Quote:
At least 17 people were killed in the school shooting. Multiple others were injured. Teenagers and adults are among the victims, according to the Broward County Sheriff’s office.

At least 12 were killed inside the school building. Two others were killed outside, and another person was fatally shot on a street corner when the suspect fled the scene. At least two died at the hospital, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said at a press conference Wednesday evening.

Around 2:30 pm, just before class dismissal, the fire alarm went off, and shooting began. A law enforcement official told told CBS News that it was believed the suspect pulled the fire alarm before the shooting rampage.

The lone suspect is 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz suspect, according to the Broward County Sheriff’s Office. He was taken into custody off school property about an hour after the shooting, and was initially transported to a nearby hospital. He has since been transferred to the sheriff’s headquarters, according to CBS News.

Cruz is a former Stoneman Douglas High School student who had been expelled from the school for disciplinary issues, the sheriff said, though he did not say when or why.

Sheriff Israel said Cruz was armed with an AR-15 rifle and “countless magazines.”

Investigators have begun to scour Cruz’s social media activities and so far have found “very, very disturbing stuff,” the sheriff said.

Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School has around 3,000 students. It’s located in Parkland, Florida, north of Miami and Fort Lauderdale. Classes are canceled at the school for the remainder of the week.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 12:53 am

what was this kid doing with so many weapons??

history repeating itself

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 1:35 am

they likely belonged to the family and did a poor job at keeping them secure.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 1:49 am

actually, f**k the shooter.

aaron feis is the real MVP:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.3821650
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/browa ... story.html

Quote:
A fearless football coach jumped in front of terrified students to protect them from becoming casualties of the bloodbath inside their Florida school Wednesday, witnesses said.

Coach Aaron Feis, himself a graduate of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, sprang into action when a trouble former pupil sprayed the Parkland, Fla. halls with bullets.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 4:53 am

And here we go again.. it's sad, but hearing this has become so routine that I almost don't feel much of anything about it at all tbh.

Still not time for some sort of gun control, eh? Somehow pro-gun people are going to argue that more guns would have prevented this.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 5:15 am

I'm waiting for it to come out that he was diagnosed or is suspected of having autism.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 6:19 am

I'm not sure how long this will be up for but it makes it all sound pretty suss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmRG-fV ... e=youtu.be

One of the students at the school says she was walking down the corridor with the suspect when they heard shots and she was talking to the suspect. How can he be the shooter :?:

Seff
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2018, 7:54 am

Pray for the victims,
Mentally ill loner,
Too early to talk about gun control
Etc, etc.

Your neurodiverse score: 177 of 200
Your neurotypical score: 34 of 200

Bustduster
Toucan
Toucan

15 Feb 2018, 9:38 am

EzraS wrote:
I'm waiting for it to come out that he was diagnosed or is suspected of having autism.

I actually Googled "Nikolas Cruz Asperger Syndrome" but nothing's coming up as yet. There does seem to be plenty of quotes from his schoolmates saying that he was "troubled", "a weird kid" and "a loner", though.

Bustduster
Toucan
Toucan

15 Feb 2018, 9:40 am

goldfish21 wrote:
And here we go again.. it's sad, but hearing this has become so routine that I almost don't feel much of anything about it at all tbh.

Still not time for some sort of gun control, eh? Somehow pro-gun people are going to argue that more guns would have prevented this.

Same here. I've reached the point where I'm not even shocked by incidents like this anymore, which is the most worrying thing. There are only one or two potential solutions though, and there's little chance that any US government will implement either of them, so ... plus ca change.