At least 17 dead in Florida School Shooting

Page 8 of 18 [ 275 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 18  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 9:10 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
It's already happened to James Brady (Reagan's Press Secretary), Gabby Giffords (D-AZ former Congresswoman), Steve Scalise (Congressman, R-LA). The late Mr. Brady (dec. 2014) and Ms. Giffords had, or have, horrendous brain damage as a result.

Their colleagues essentially yawned and went on with business as usual. (Brady was wounded by Hinckley, in the assassination attempt on Reagan).

Mr. Brady and his wife, Sarah (also deceased, 2015) founded the Brady Campaign
( http://www.bradycampaign.org/ ) against gun violence. The organization continues.

When Mrs Brady had passed away, and I wrote a post commemorating her, you wouldn't believe how hard two of the resident gun nuts came down on me.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 9:12 pm

@Kraichgauer: yeah I would. Reasons cited below.

@AuntBlabby: It's the same old song: "Only I am a human being. The rest of you are furniture. I am special and superior, and the universe protects me from misfortune, therefore I need never concern myself with it."

Basically, hypermalignant narcissism.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Last edited by Esmerelda Weatherwax on 17 Feb 2018, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 9:13 pm

joseph welch had choice words for a similar type, back in the day.

Veggie Farmer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2018, 9:56 pm

We live a couple of hours from the site of the shooting. Our school district sent out an automated call on Thursday discussing a rumor about plans for an attack on a district high school later that day. My daughter said every phone in her classroom rang at once with that call and people freaked out. She already struggles with anxiety, as do so many other students, so I have no idea why the superintendant thought that call was a good idea. I’ve heard attendance was down by 50% in many schools on Friday. Sigh. I fervently hope I’m wrong, but the cynical voice in my head says this is just going to happen again soon somewhere else.

My daughter said something about this that struck me. We take people in a difficult period of their lives, with raging hormones and high levels of stress and immature impulse control, and force thousands of them together in tight confines for eight hours a day and call it education. Is this really the best way to educate kids?

There’s no simple reason why we have so many shooters today, gun laws, culture, environment all play a role, but as a society we can do more than nothing. Thoughts and prayers? Faith without works is dead.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 10:08 pm

You know what's missing? Those heartless, brainless idiots who scream that the shooting was a false flag operation, in which the the victims and shooter had never existed, and that the grieving families are just paid actors. I wonder if that's because their orange messiah has already confirmed that it did in fact happen.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 10:13 pm

Check out this cartoonists editorial about it that’s going viral:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/brit ... -1.4540961

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 10:23 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
You know what's missing? Those heartless, brainless idiots who scream that the shooting was a false flag operation, in which the the victims and shooter had never existed, and that the grieving families are just paid actors. I wonder if that's because their orange messiah has already confirmed that it did in fact happen.

those are the exact same type who deny the Shoah. that is who we are dealing with now.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 10:25 pm

auntblabby wrote:
the gun control debate was lost here in amuuurica, once a critical mass of amuuuricans decided they could live with periodic mass murder.

This did not happen before "gun control" started.
From the 1950’s through July 10th of 2016, 98.4 percent of mass shootings as defined by the FBI have occurred on gun-free zones.
Gunfree zones are open invitations to evil people. Do you really believe school children should be left defenseless?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 10:34 pm

http://k12academics.com/school-shooting ... ojzCUxFyhw
above link shows there was plenty of school gun violence before 1950.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 11:36 pm

I am gobsmacked by the insincerity of your statement. You bald face lie about the history of mass school shootings.
The total number of school-children killed by bullets to date (as of 1 February 2018) is 219 school-children.
18th century
During the 18th century, 1 individual was killed.
19th century
totals
killed: 24, injured: 30 +
School-children killed: 14 (2 unintentionally)

You did not answer my question whether you support keeping children defenseless in "gun free" zones.

Last edited by Mudboy on 17 Feb 2018, 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 11:38 pm

you are impossible.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 11:46 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

those are the exact same type who deny the Shoah. that is who we are dealing with now.

Absolutely they are.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 1:14 am

Here is what one survivor has to say. This is Emma Gonzalez, a student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High, witness to and survivor of Wednesday's shooting.

https://youtu.be/ZxD3o-9H1lY

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 1:25 am

Here is what one survivor has to say. This is Emma Gonzalez, a student at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High, witness to and survivor of Wednesday's shooting.

A very well spoken young lady.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 1:31 am

And this is "Hero's Welcome", an editorial cartoon by Pia Guerra. Aaron Feis was the school football coach, and a shooting victim.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 1:42 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

A very well spoken young lady.

Typical Bible Belt response: "Stewpid dykey headed lesbo!" :roll: