Ask a Traditional Catholic, ask me [almost] anything!

Page 1 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:31 pm

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Greatshield17 wrote:
Mikah wrote:
What's your position on transubstantiation?

One of my favorite aspects of the Faith, and one of they key reason why I'm Catholic, not Protestant.

We Lutherans, who in fact started the Protestant Reformation, also believe in the Real Presence in the sacrament. The difference is, while Catholicism teaches the bread and wine turn into the body and blood of Christ, we believe the body and blood are present with said bread and wine.

I always thought it was simply a metaphor...

Most of our other brother and sister Protestants take it as metaphor.

Greatshield17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2018, 11:32 pm

Pepe wrote:
I agree, but religion can be and has been deceptive...
Religious leaders often "lie through omission" with the apparent belief they are "protecting" their flock...

Arians chasing St. Athanasius: Have you seen Athanasius?

St. Athanasius: Yes I've seen him, if you hurry you can catch him!

Pepe wrote:
I found it curious that the Catholic church perpetuated the misbelief in a hell for presumably millennia but relatively recently informed us, through one of the Popes, that it was merely an artistic interpretation and don't worry about it...it's a nonsense...

Which Pope? What specifically did he say, and how did he say it? (Was it an interview? A private conversation with Cardinals? etc.)

Don't bother with me, I'm just a narrow-minded bigot who does nothing but "proselytize" not because I actually love the Faith, because no one loves the Faith, we're just "using it to justify our bigotry." If you see any thread by me on here that isn't "proselytizing," I can't explain that because that's obviously impossible; because again, all I've ever done on here is "proselytize."

WP is the 2nd worst forum site I have ever been on.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:57 pm

Greatshield17 wrote:
[

Pepe wrote:
I found it curious that the Catholic church perpetuated the misbelief in a hell for presumably millennia but relatively recently informed us, through one of the Popes, that it was merely an artistic interpretation and don't worry about it...it's a nonsense...

Which Pope? What specifically did he say, and how did he say it? (Was it an interview? A private conversation with Cardinals? etc.)

Quote:
Pope Francis, I repeat, has abolished the places of eternal dwelling in the afterlife of souls. The thesis held by him is that the souls dominated by evil and not repentant cease to exist while those who are redeemed from evil will be assumed into beatitude, contemplating God. This is the thesis of Francis and also of Paglia. [emphasis added]

https://onepeterfive.com/do-pope-franci ... not-exist/

Greatshield17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Feb 2018, 12:23 am

Pepe wrote:
Greatshield17 wrote:
[

Pepe wrote:

Quote:
Pope Francis, I repeat, has abolished the places of eternal dwelling in the afterlife of souls. The thesis held by him is that the souls dominated by evil and not repentant cease to exist while those who are redeemed from evil will be assumed into beatitude, contemplating God. This is the thesis of Francis and also of Paglia. [emphasis added]

https://onepeterfive.com/do-pope-franci ... not-exist/

I see.

Don't bother with me, I'm just a narrow-minded bigot who does nothing but "proselytize" not because I actually love the Faith, because no one loves the Faith, we're just "using it to justify our bigotry." If you see any thread by me on here that isn't "proselytizing," I can't explain that because that's obviously impossible; because again, all I've ever done on here is "proselytize."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 12:39 am

Do any Beatles fans go to your church?

eeVenye
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2018, 10:33 am

Quote:

https://onepeterfive.com/do-pope-franci ... not-exist/[/quote]

That is the opinion of an atheist "journalist" (my apologies to any genuine journalists that actually take notes during their interviews), who may or may not be projecting onto his recollection of conversations with the Pope. This is a Pope, it should be noted, who is notorious for adopting the dialogical style of Peronism, not revealing what he truly believes, but adopting the position of whoever stands in front of him at the moment. For his alleged words to have any lasting impact, they would have to be prolclaimed publicly or in writing.

The Church has not changed her teaching on Heaven, Purgatory, or Hell, nor does it have the authority to do so.

eeVenye
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2018, 10:38 am

Greatshield17 wrote:
Also keep in mine I'm novice when it come to the Catholic Faith, and the Traditional Catholic movement, I've done a lot of research on this stuff but I'm no theologian or person that speaks authoritatively on the beliefs of the Church. So by all means think about what I've said, but also keep in mind I can get things wrong and do your own research on the stuff I've discussed.

Welcome!

As a moderate-Traditionalist myself, I was wondering what drew you to the traditional movement?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 12:05 pm

How can you believe in a creator god when you have no proof of its existence?

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 3:55 pm

What's your opinion on the papal infallability dogma, considering all the times the more recent popes have been, shall we charitably call it "demonstrably fallable"?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 4:22 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
What's your opinion on the papal infallability dogma, considering all the times the more recent popes have been, shall we charitably call it "demonstrably fallable"?

How has any recent pope been "fallible"?

If you met the Pope in person, and quizzed him on Manchester Union soccer trivia you would find that he was just "fallible" as anyone else. But that has nothing to do with the "Doctrine of Infallibility".

He is only supposed to be "infallible" on "articles of faith" according the doctrine.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 4:32 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
He is only supposed to be "infallible" on "articles of faith" according the doctrine.

Limbo.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 5:53 pm

eeVenye wrote:

The Church has not changed her teaching on Heaven, Purgatory, or Hell, nor does it have the authority to do so.

So you are saying that the church still fully embraces emotional and psychological blackmail to force individuals to be good...
Good to know... :thumright: :mrgreen:

And btw, you are arguing my point for me about lies through omission...and direct lying if I understand you correctly... :scratch:

eeVenye
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2018, 6:33 pm

Pepe wrote:
So you are saying that the church still fully embraces emotional and psychological blackmail to force individuals to be good...

It would indeed be psychological blackmail if it was something the Church made up to control people. However, since it is a sincere belief of the Church that there is a just God, and thus the possibility of punishment after death, not preaching it would be spiritual neglect.

Quote:
And btw, you are arguing my point for me about lies through omission...and direct lying if I understand you correctly... :scratch:

We hold popes to be infallible in teaching on matters of faith and morals, not impeccable (incapable of sinning).

Greatshield17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Feb 2018, 7:06 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
Do any Beatles fans go to your church?

None that I know of, why do you ask?

Greatshield17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Feb 2018, 8:22 pm

eeVenye wrote:
Greatshield17 wrote:
Also keep in mine I'm novice when it come to the Catholic Faith, and the Traditional Catholic movement, I've done a lot of research on this stuff but I'm no theologian or person that speaks authoritatively on the beliefs of the Church. So by all means think about what I've said, but also keep in mind I can get things wrong and do your own research on the stuff I've discussed.

Welcome!

As a moderate-Traditionalist myself, I was wondering what drew you to the traditional movement?

Thanks for the greetings.

What drew me to the Traditional movement was three things:

The first thing that drew me to the Traditionalist movement was the philosophy and intellectual heritage of the movement, looking back now, I think it wasn't just that the philosophy was rational and made sense, but the fact that it was part of this tradition of tried and true reasoning. Back when I was Deist, I had seen many, what we might call "mainstream conservative" Catholic articles -not that I'm necessarily against "mainstream conservative" Catholic groups and also, things have changed a lot since then- my reaction to was akin to "Okay, I can see someone would believe this, it makes sense" but there wasn't really anything pulling me to revert back to the Catholic Faith. However, when I read Traditional Catholic articles, or watched Traditional Catholic videos, it was different. It's hard to describe but there was this distinct sense of humility and honour about how they made their arguments, (even if they themselves, didn't always display it) like you could tell that they weren't just defending abstract conservative concepts & ideals, but rather carrying on this great tradition of wisdom and truth, and that drew me in.

The second thing that drew me in was the Traditional Latin mass, probably one of the biggest attractions the traditionalist movement has to offer. Just last summer, I went to my first Tridentine mass (a low mass to be exact) and I've gotta say, I cannot recall a moment in my life where I wasn't more focused than I was at that mass, I was almost literally on the edge of me seat throughout that mass. Unfortunately the current diocese I live in at the moment doesn't seem to offer the Latin mass, and the mass that the current parish I attend is quite irreverent. I actually take the bus to neighboring town on weekdays to attend a better parish, in fact I actually attended Eucharistic Adoration there just this morning.

The third thing that drew me to the traditionalist movement was that they talked more about Our Lady and the Saints, than most other Catholics I had seen up to that time, and they went in-depth with them more than most "mainstream Catholics did. I was especially attracted by their willingness to go deep into Mariology and reveal deep truths about her, that I've rarely heard elsewhere. I have a huge devotion to Mary, partially due to personal issues in my life and so, even when I was Deist I thought "if I ever revert to the Catholic Faith, I'll develop a huge devotion to Mary." Thus, I payed attention to articles and videos that touched on her.

Those are three of the things that drew me to the Traditional Catholic movement, of course there was a lot more going on that drew me to the Traditionalist movement, as well as back to the Faith in general, including of course God's grace. What makes you interested in the Traditionalist movement?

Greatshield17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Feb 2018, 8:53 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
How can you believe in a creator god when you have no proof of its existence?

What would you consider "proof?"