Ask a Traditional Catholic, ask me [almost] anything!

Page 6 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 12:30 am

Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
that is why they approve of the legalistic fig leaf called "the rhythm method."

Which actually doesn't work.

yeh, the "rhythm" part of it is that every 9 months or so, out pops a baby ruth.

My understanding of why Catholics weren't supposed to use contraception is because they wanted to flood the world with Catholics...

So that's why there's a billion Catholics.

Even in modern times, I've heard Catholics make unsubstantiated claims about how the world can support 12 or 15 or 20 billion people (the number changes with each telling).

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 12:34 am

I don't believe they have the benefit of the big picture.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 4:32 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
that is why they approve of the legalistic fig leaf called "the rhythm method."

Which actually doesn't work.

yeh, the "rhythm" part of it is that every 9 months or so, out pops a baby ruth.

My understanding of why Catholics weren't supposed to use contraception is because they wanted to flood the world with Catholics...

So that's why there's a billion Catholics.

Even in modern times, I've heard Catholics make unsubstantiated claims about how the world can support 12 or 15 or 20 billion people (the number changes with each telling).

Reason is not the forte of most committed religious people...
Their forte is faith...<sigh>

Greatshield17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Mar 2018, 4:43 pm

Greatshield17 wrote:
Greatshield17 wrote:
Reply to 1: Yes the soul does "split like an amoeba" because the human zygote has split like an amoeba, there are now two identical twins with there own bodies, minds, and wills.

Reply to 2: This one is a bit difficult, but I'll venture to say yes, the souls do merge, due to the fact that the two zygotes have merged and have become a human genetical chimera. This merged soul would differ only so much as to the fact that body has the genes of a chimera.

I messed-up here, like I said, I'm no expert, I do not speak on behalf of the Church.

Correction to reply 1: When a zygote splits in two, God infuses a new soul into the new zygote at the very exact moment the two split, even though the two are identical.

Correction to reply 2: In Chimerism the zygotes don't merge, they collide and one of them dies and is absorbed into the other, with only it's genes remaining. What happens to the soul of the deceased zygote? The same that happens to any stillborn, namely we don't know, the soul died unbaptized so we can only entrust it to the mercy of God. We touched upon Limbo earlier in this thread, if Limbo exist, the child may go there, is not than, please God, he/she will go to Heaven.

I failed to explain how I messed up here, souls can't merge or divide, each is distinct and can only be created by God. And just to be clear about the Catholic definition of a soul: a soul is the life principle of a creature, it's not a spirit that possesses a corpse, it's the totality of creature comprising its material body, with its passions and emotions, and its immaterial mind and will.

I've gotta go now, like I said last time, I'm really busy at the moment with several things, including college work.

Don't bother with me, I'm just a narrow-minded bigot who does nothing but "proselytize" not because I actually love the Faith, because no one loves the Faith, we're just "using it to justify our bigotry." If you see any thread by me on here that isn't "proselytizing," I can't explain that because that's obviously impossible; because again, all I've ever done on here is "proselytize."

WP is the 2nd worst forum site I have ever been on.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2018, 4:51 pm

Pepe wrote:
No meat on Fridays (or used to be)...

Butter pie is a local dish.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 4:26 pm

Why can't I concentrate when I pray and what are some common reasons for this to happen?

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 6:16 pm

Greatshield17 wrote:
I've gotta go now, like I said last time, I'm really busy at the moment with several things, including college work.

Have you got time now?

Gromit wrote:
Greatshield17 wrote:
Yes and no, Onan's sin is but one of many reasons why the Catholic Church recognizes contraception as sinful, the main reason being the Natural Law, the purpose of sexual-intercourse is to procreate new life.

I looked up natural law (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_law), and it sounds like inferring biological function and then assuming that what I know as the natural fallacy is no fallacy, but a valid guide to what is right. In other words, if I know the biological function of a behavioural trait, then whatever behaviour is involved is the right thing to do?

I can see how believing in an omniscient, benevolent, honest and consistent creator can lead to the conclusion that whatever exists must be intended. I understand that to be the basis for the Catholic church's acceptance of conventional cosmology and biological evolution over young Earth creationism. If God is honest, then acts (of creation) should not contradict words, so if there seems to be a contradiction, the words might be metaphorical. Is that about right?

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 7:23 pm

How can you stand having a pope? I mean all humans do and say stupid stuff, so it doesn't make sense to put a person in charge of God's church. The pope has way to much power.

And why pray to saints (If you do), I mean you can pray to God directly so I see no reason to go about it so indirectly.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 8:54 pm

Pepe wrote:
Reason is not the forte of most committed religious people...
If religious people could be reasoned with, there would be no more religious people.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 9:07 pm

Arganger wrote:
How can you stand having a pope? I mean all humans do and say stupid stuff, so it doesn't make sense to put a person in charge of God's church. The pope has way to much power.
They don't seem to mind having a pope. Maybe they like having a pope. Nowadays he's more like a popular figurehead. Someone who's just there to say niceties. It's good publicity for them.

Arganger wrote:
And why pray to saints (If you do), I mean you can pray to God directly so I see no reason to go about it so indirectly.
Yeah I don't get that either.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2018, 9:18 pm

It’s rather a form of polytheism, in my opinion, to deify saints.

Gods are converted to saints in syncretic religions like “voodoo.”