Ask a Traditional Catholic, ask me [almost] anything!

Page 1 of 7 [ 101 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

Greatshield17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2018, 9:51 pm

Okay, so this Lent I'm going to step out of my comfort zone, and put myself through a real challenge of sorts. Not that I want this to be too argumentative, I'm all for getting into debates on this thread but I this thread to be mostly rational dialogue as the sign above implies.

Also keep in mine I'm novice when it come to the Catholic Faith, and the Traditional Catholic movement, I've done a lot of research on this stuff but I'm no theologian or person that speaks authoritatively on the beliefs of the Church. So by all means think about what I've said, but also keep in mind I can get things wrong and do your own research on the stuff I've discussed.

One more thing, at the time I'm posting this I'm also attending college and thus, it may take some time for me to answer all the questions posted here. I'll try my best to answer every question, comment, and argument posted here but it may take some time, and there may be days where I'll have to dedicate all me time college work.

All that said, ask away! Ask [almost] anything!

Don't bother with me, I'm just a narrow-minded bigot who does nothing but "proselytize" not because I actually love the Faith, because no one loves the Faith, we're just "using it to justify our bigotry." If you see any thread by me on here that isn't "proselytizing," I can't explain that because that's obviously impossible; because again, all I've ever done on here is "proselytize."

WP is the 2nd worst forum site I have ever been on.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 10:02 pm

What religion did you grow up in?

I had a Jewish mother and a Catholic father. Neither practiced their religion very much---but believed in God.

I am an atheist from a very early age.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 10:09 pm

What's your position on transubstantiation?

Greatshield17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2018, 10:15 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
What religion did you grow up in?

I had a Jewish mother and a Catholic father. Neither practiced their religion very much---but believed in God.

I am an atheist from a very early age.

My father started out a fairly firm Catholic, although he also held couple of Santeria-ish beliefs, my mother was baptized Anglican, although I don't know much about her religious upbringings. My dad took me to mass, taught me the Our Father prayer and few Bible stories, but not much else. I didn't understand what was going on at mass, and very rarely prayed, for the most part I grew up in a secular household and was a very nominal Catholic, my childhood religion consisted mostly of:

"There is a God and He is the One True God, there is this person named Jesus, (I didn't even know about the Trinity) and there angels and this bad guy called The Devil."

Don't bother with me, I'm just a narrow-minded bigot who does nothing but "proselytize" not because I actually love the Faith, because no one loves the Faith, we're just "using it to justify our bigotry." If you see any thread by me on here that isn't "proselytizing," I can't explain that because that's obviously impossible; because again, all I've ever done on here is "proselytize."

Greatshield17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2018, 10:16 pm

Mikah wrote:

One of my favorite aspects of the Faith, and one of they key reason why I'm Catholic, not Protestant.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 10:26 pm

Do we humans have absolute free will?
Take particular note of the qualifier: "absolute"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 10:27 pm

For some reason, I'm thinking you're from the West Indies---perhaps Trinidad and Tobago. Though, obviously, I could be very wrong.

The Santeria-type religion there is known as "Shango" or "Spiritual Baptists." They believe, more or less, in Yoruba gods. There's a Christian equivalent, in their worship arsenal, for many of these gods.

Last edited by kraftiekortie on 14 Feb 2018, 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 10:35 pm

Greatshield17 wrote:
Mikah wrote:

One of my favorite aspects of the Faith, and one of they key reason why I'm Catholic, not Protestant.

Really? I was being a little cheeky digging up that 500 year old quarrel ... it's a key reason you chose Catholicism?

Greatshield17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2018, 10:59 pm

Pepe wrote:
Do we humans have absolute free will?
Take particular note of the qualifier: "absolute"

Ah yes, that is something I've been uncertain about for sometime, it actually played a role in my reversion to the Faith. I used to think, back when I was a nominal Catholic/Deist, that Catholics believe in human beings having absolute free will, but now I know that that's not the case. Catholics do believe in free will, but not "absolute" free will, what does the Catholic Church teach about free will? Well, like I said at before I'm not certain the moment, I'm going to post question about this on Catholic Answers Forum, (something I've been planning on doing for awhile, but haven't gotten about to doing it just yet) and figure out what the exact philosophy about this is.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:04 pm

There is no “absolute” free will, just like there’s no “pure” communism.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:05 pm

Mikah wrote:
Greatshield17 wrote:
Mikah wrote:

Really? I was being a little cheeky digging up that 500 year old quarrel ... it's a key reason you chose Catholicism?

Play nice... :mrgreen:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:15 pm

Greatshield17 wrote:
Mikah wrote:

We Lutherans, who in fact started the Protestant Reformation, also believe in the Real Presence in the sacrament. The difference is, while Catholicism teaches the bread and wine turn into the body and blood of Christ, we believe the body and blood are present with said bread and wine.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:17 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There is no “absolute” free will, just like there’s no “pure” communism.

I agree, but religion can be and has been deceptive...
Religious leaders often "lie through omission" with the apparent belief they are "protecting" their flock...

Some people, and not simply in a religious context, allow the less informed to perpetuate misbelief for various reasons, good and bad...

I found it curious that the Catholic church perpetuated the misbelief in a hell for presumably millennia but relatively recently informed us, through one of the Popes, that it was merely an artistic interpretation and don't worry about it...it's a nonsense...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:20 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Greatshield17 wrote:
Mikah wrote:

We Lutherans, who in fact started the Protestant Reformation, also believe in the Real Presence in the sacrament. The difference is, while Catholicism teaches the bread and wine turn into the body and blood of Christ, we believe the body and blood are present with said bread and wine.

I always thought it was simply a metaphor...

Greatshield17
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Feb 2018, 11:26 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
For some reason, I'm thinking you're from the West Indies---perhaps Trinidad and Tobago. Though, obviously, I could be very wrong.

The Santeria-type religion there is known as "Shango" or "Spiritual Baptists." They believe, more or less, in Yoruba gods. There's a Christian equivalent, in their worship arsenal, for many of these gods.

My dad is from Chile, and I do have an interest in my Hispanic heritage. I'm don't know what the Santeria-type religion there is there. I'm not exactly sure what specifically my dad believes, but he seem to believe that it is okay for one to experiment with spirits, gods, and magic provided that one does not worship the gods, spirits, or spiritual stuff that one is dealing with.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 11:31 pm

Pepe wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Greatshield17 wrote:
Mikah wrote:

I always thought it was simply a metaphor...

Most of our other brother and sister Protestants take it as metaphor.