Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2018, 10:11 pm

With social media and telecommunications technologies right now like Facebook and Skype, and with way more advanced stuff coming soon that would change society greater than we can ever imagine, will people interacting face-to-face be gone completely in 10-20 years? I don't so much "hate" technology, but I do want to see it never go away completely or if it will make a sort of return compared to the way things are today. I still see people say that face-to-face interaction is still important and relevant, but even then, that's only for people 15 years before me and/or applies for non-social reasons like major business and professionalism. It's also sad that all the legacy media is going to go away because of apps like Netflix.

It's one of my reasons for being cynical depressed or anxious. I don't like that people just tell me that we shouldn't or can't stop the change, and that I need to adapt instead. I think a lot of people have become cold about it. Why aren't most people compassionate anymore?

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 1:00 am

face to face is still the predominant form of communication in the west, and already interest - based communication and dependence on such is taking its toll on our health, young people especially, in the form of increased isolation, loneliness and subsequent depression.

people need to be around each other. i don't think it will ever die out simply because the emotional (and physical?) health risks would too great....much less in 10 or 20 years. eventually we'll start to realize this, and i hope i'm not being too optimistic there.

on decreased compassion, it's easier then ever to see videos and pictures of gruesome accidents, torture, abuse and mutilations, stuff other people would normally wince at and i'd assume exposure over time desensitizes you to such things. plus, when you're behind a screen, it's a lot easier to be an as*hole and get away with it, you're not physically vulnerable to 'paying the price' for your foul words...or so to speak.

i just don't see a wall-e future.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.