Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

billegge
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2018, 11:25 am

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
Good quote. Her philosophy in a nutshell: "I've got mine, so now I'm taking yours, which makes me a superior being."
Quite the charmer.

Your statement contradicts an objectivist principle of "mutual benefit".

billegge
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2018, 11:32 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Love - true love - is also self sacrificing. That's the part Rand chose not to grasp.

Re-Listen to the video, it seems you have not understood the meaning of sacrifice.

karathraceandherspecialdestiny
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 1:02 pm

billegge wrote:
karathraceandherspecialdestiny wrote:
I read somewhere that her idea of the "perfect man" was a convicted child murderer. He literally took what he wanted from the world with no thought for morality or human compassion, and that's what she looked up to. That says all I need to know about her personal philosophy and where it stems from.

https://www.alternet.org/books/how-ayn- ... ial-killer

So what you are saying is that you did not base your opinion on the writings of Ayn Rand using your independent judgment but instead the unquestionable opinion of another.

That's not the only material on Ayn Rand I have read. I've read enough of her own words to know I completely disagree with her entire philosophy.

billegge
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2018, 1:45 pm

That's not the only material on Ayn Rand I have read. I've read enough of her own words to know I completely disagree with her entire philosophy.

Anything specific? I agree with everything Ayn Rand has written, this is why I am interested in what you disagree with.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 1:56 pm

Everything by Ayn Rand is an intellectualised version of this.

Marylyn Monroe was like Ayn Rand ... but far more honest and straightforward.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 2:04 pm

billegge wrote:

Anything specific? I agree with everything Ayn Rand has written, this is why I am interested in what you disagree with.

Literally everything. Every single quote of hers I have read, every excerpt from her books, I fundamentally disagree with. She is just another as*hole who wants to justify the selfishness of as*holes and calls that a "philosophy". For reassurance that I chose correctly in discounting Objectivism, I look to the people that are drawn to her philosophy like Paul Ryan--that it draws such people reaffirms for me that Objectivism does not match my personal ethos at all. Every person I have ever met in life who respects her ideas has turned out to be a terrible person. That's enough for me to know her philosophy is not for me.

billegge
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2018, 2:31 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
Marylyn Monroe was like Ayn Rand ... but far more honest and straightforward.

If this video were about Marylyn being a hooker then I would agree, but this video seems more like deceiving men for money. The video seems opposite of Objectivism.

I think the below link describes what I think the video means.

http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/honesty.html

Honesty is the recognition of the fact that the unreal is unreal and can have no value, that neither love nor fame nor cash is a value if obtained by fraud—that an attempt to gain a value by deceiving the mind of others is an act of raising your victims to a position higher than reality, where you become a pawn of their blindness, a slave of their non-thinking and their evasions, while their intelligence, their rationality, their perceptiveness become the enemies you have to dread and flee—that you do not care to live as a dependent, least of all a dependent on the stupidity of others, or as a fool whose source of values is the fools he succeeds in fooling—that honesty is not a social duty, not a sacrifice for the sake of others, but the most profoundly selfish virtue man can practice: his refusal to sacrifice the reality of his own existence to the deluded consciousness of others.

billegge
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Feb 2018, 2:40 pm

billegge wrote:

Literally everything. Every single quote of hers I have read, every excerpt from her books, I fundamentally disagree with. She is just another as*hole who wants to justify the selfishness of as*holes and calls that a "philosophy". For reassurance that I chose correctly in discounting Objectivism, I look to the people that are drawn to her philosophy like Paul Ryan--that it draws such people reaffirms for me that Objectivism does not match my personal ethos at all. Every person I have ever met in life who respects her ideas has turned out to be a terrible person. That's enough for me to know her philosophy is not for me.

We are still at ground zero, you have not provided any argument at all against objectivism. Without a specific argument against an objectivist principle or fundamental you have no basis for claims against Ayn Rand.

Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 3:26 pm

billegge wrote:
billegge wrote:

We are still at ground zero, you have not provided any argument at all against objectivism. Without a specific argument against an objectivist principle or fundamental you have no basis for claims against Ayn Rand.

I'm not going to waste my time going through point by point why I disagree with her. I don't find that interesting or a good way to spend my time, her ideas aren't worth going through every time I encounter someone who agrees with Objectivism. You agree with her and you know why and you're not going to change your mind, my input is irrelevant.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 3:35 pm

billegge wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Love - true love - is also self sacrificing. That's the part Rand chose not to grasp.

Re-Listen to the video, it seems you have not understood the meaning of sacrifice.

I know what it means.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 4:13 pm

Additionally, on the odd occasion when Rand was right, she managed to mess it up.

Randian hyper-capitalism cannot work. I'm not just saying this because it is bad for people. I'm saying that "true capitalism" always rots into crony capitalism whenever anti-corruption legislation is not there.

This is why the "small government" crowd is full of crap. They claim that the only corruption-free government is a small government. In reality, "small governments" inevitably decay into big governments that serve the rich and powerful. American history is a testament to that.

That's what libertarians consistently fail to understand. The decay of American "small government" was inevitable. Jefferson anticipated this, hence his "blood of patriots and tyrants" comment, but Jefferson severely overestimated the courage of the average person. The average person doesn't want to live in a world in which you constantly have to kill government officials in order to maintain your human rights. That's what a Jeffersonian "small government" would require.

In reality, America has a big government that serves the rich. Transforming this government into a big government which serves the masses is the only solution. Most of Europe has tried this to some degree and it seems to be working.

"The most extreme types, like Murray Rothbard, are at least honest. They'd like to eliminate highway taxes because they force you to pay for a road you may never drive on. As an alternative, they suggest that if you and I want to get somewhere, we should build a road there and charge people tolls on it. Just try generalizing that. Such a society couldn't survive, and even if it could, it would be so full of terror and hate that any human being would prefer to live in hell."
- Noam Chomsky

Ayn Rand was right when she opposed America's entry into the Vietnam War, but she failed to understand the root cause of America's entry into the war. To be honest, most Americans didn't understand the real cause of the Vietnam War at the time. In other words, the domestic anti-war movement didn't really do much.

The real people who ended the Vietnam War were the Vietnamese. They fought so hard that the US government gave up and left.

Addionally, Ayn Rand had a truly repulsive and ignorant attitude towards Palestine.

What else can I say? Rand was an all-around horrible human being who wanted all men to be pricks and wanted all women to be gold diggers. What an awful person.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 4:24 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
... What else can I say? Rand was an all-around horrible human being who wanted all men to be pricks and wanted all women to be gold diggers. What an awful person.

Randian Objectivism, summarized: I (the Randian) am the Human. You (everyone else) are the Objects.
It's basically The Commoditization Of Everyone And Everything.

Yawwwwnnnnnnn......

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 4:35 pm

Atlas Shrugged.....and that's why we all feel nauseous today......

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 8:26 pm

billegge wrote:
Honesty is the recognition of the fact that the unreal is unreal and can have no value,
<snip>
—that honesty is not a social duty, not a sacrifice for the sake of others, but the most profoundly selfish virtue man can practice: his refusal to sacrifice the reality of his own existence to the deluded consciousness of others.

This is a very, very interesting intellectual construct...

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 8:42 pm

billegge wrote:

Please, don't hold back..
Tell us what you really think...<duck> :mrgreen:
Does this hatred of yours extend to people who are simply interested in what she has to say?

And, btw, do you think that I too am an arschloch...errr...I mean an objectivist? 8O
I have after all indicated in this thread that I found something in her philosophy "very very" interesting... 8O

Last edited by Pepe on 17 Feb 2018, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 9:07 pm

Time for something a little less angst worthy...

I watched: "Shrek Forever After" yesterday...
I was very surprised by something in particular...

I suspect, very heavily, that there was an Ayn Rand "perfect man" reference...
Though it wasn't a perfect man in the movie, it was the perfect Ogre, Shrek...
Das ist Shreklich!... 8O

And that wasn't the only "suspicious" element alluding to Rand's philosophy...
I will have to re-watch the movie and get back to you if I have the psychological energy...

Once may be a coincidence/aberration...
Twice is the beginning of a pattern... 8O

If I am correct, it would seem to be a cheeky in joke by Mike Myers...
Yeah baby!... :mrgreen: