Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 12:47 pm

AspieUtah wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
“Fundie” is an insult.

It makes light of their religious beliefs.

Indeed. The Big Bang Theory's Mayim Bialik (Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler) is a Board of Directors member of the 114-year-old Jewish Free Loan Association in Los Angeles which "offers interest-free loans on a non-sectarian basis to individuals and families whose needs are urgent and who may not qualify through normal financial resources. ...JFLA affirms the ancient biblical requirement for interest-free lending by offering assistance to people in need with the goal of helping them to lead more rewarding and responsible lives."

This would by any definition, make Bialik a titch fundementalist in her religious beliefs, no? Because of her social and real-life activities, I have admired her more than her cast cohorts for years.

As matter of fact, no, none of what you're saying about Bialek has anything to do with "Fundamentalism".

Fundamentalism is the name of a specific movement within American Protestantism that got started around 1900. Its defining characteristic is strict adherence to literal interpretation of scripture.

Fundamentalists are often incorrectly lumped in with Pentacostals (another movement that started about the same time). Both movements appeal to blue collar types. But are actually opposite in style. Pentacostals are into the spirit and tongues and getting seizures in church etc. Fundies are anal rententive nerds obsessed with the written word.

The girl who plays Amy Fowler is not Protestant, and not even Christian, but Jewish. So strictly speaking she cant be a "Fundamentalist" because she hasn't converted to the Fundamentalist movement of Christianity.

You might argue that you're taking poetic license and saying that she is some kind of Jewish equivalent of a Fundamentalist. But again this thing she is involved in is not evidence of even a Jewish equivalent creed to Fundamentalism. Just being involved in charity, and being religious has nothing to do with being Fundamentalist.

IF Bailek came out and said that "evolution is a bunch of poppycock" and the earth is only 6000 years old (who knows? She might even believe that, but shes never come out and said it in public AFAIK), then THAT would be evidence of her being a Jewish equivalent to a "Fundamentalist", because that would mean she was denying science in order to strictly adhere to scripture. She could spit on the poor and not be involved in charity. But if she believes that they wrangled T-Rex and got him onto Noah's Ark, then she is a "Fundie". But if she does good charitable stuff but doesn't adhere to Biblical literalism than she is not a Fundie.

BUT...even if she were a "Fundie" in some loose sense that would apply to Judaism, she still couldn't be an actual "Fundie" in the strict sense because she isn't a Protestant Christian.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 12:50 pm

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/fundie

Quote:
noun
(Austral, derogatory, slang) a fundamentalist Christian
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundie
Quote:
Fundie or fundy (plural fundies) is a pejorative slang abbreviation used to refer to religious fundamentalists of any religion or denomination, although it is primarily directed towards fundamentalist Christians.The term is used most commonly by those opposed to the Christian right movement. The term is often associated with religiously motivated conservative moral beliefs, especially those regarding social issues.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 1:06 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/fundie
Quote:
noun
(Austral, derogatory, slang) a fundamentalist Christian
Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fundie
Quote:
Fundie or fundy (plural fundies) is a pejorative slang abbreviation used to refer to religious fundamentalists of any religion or denomination, although it is primarily directed towards fundamentalist Christians.The term is used most commonly by those opposed to the Christian right movement. The term is often associated with religiously motivated conservative moral beliefs, especially those regarding social issues.

Quote:
Jewish fundamentalism (Hebrew: פונדמנטליזם יהודי‬) may refer to militant Religious Zionism or Ashkenazi or Sephardic Haredi Judaism. The term "fundamentalism" was originally used in reference to Christian fundamentalism but today commonly refers to the anti-modernist movements of any religion based on literal interpretation of religious scriptures....

Or not, ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_fundamentalism ).

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 Feb 2018, 2:15 pm

I think it's fair to say "people who hear religious voices are no different to people who hear other voices and usually get called mentally ill". I don't think it's fair to say "people who hear religious voices are mentally ill", but I don't think it's religious intolerance.

Not a fan of Bialik - she's an anti-vaxxer (although not an extremist) and has made some questionable remarks about TBBT's portrayal of autism.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 2:28 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
AspieUtah wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
“Fundie” is an insult.

It makes light of their religious beliefs.

Indeed. The Big Bang Theory's Mayim Bialik (Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler) is a Board of Directors member of the 114-year-old Jewish Free Loan Association in Los Angeles which "offers interest-free loans on a non-sectarian basis to individuals and families whose needs are urgent and who may not qualify through normal financial resources. ...JFLA affirms the ancient biblical requirement for interest-free lending by offering assistance to people in need with the goal of helping them to lead more rewarding and responsible lives."

This would by any definition, make Bialik a titch fundementalist in her religious beliefs, no? Because of her social and real-life activities, I have admired her more than her cast cohorts for years.

As matter of fact, no, none of what you're saying about Bialek has anything to do with "Fundamentalism".

Fundamentalism is the name of a specific movement within American Protestantism that got started around 1900. Its defining characteristic is strict adherence to literal interpretation of scripture.

Fundamentalists are often incorrectly lumped in with Pentacostals (another movement that started about the same time). Both movements appeal to blue collar types. But are actually opposite in style. Pentacostals are into the spirit and tongues and getting seizures in church etc. Fundies are anal rententive nerds obsessed with the written word.

The girl who plays Amy Fowler is not Protestant, and not even Christian, but Jewish. So strictly speaking she cant be a "Fundamentalist" because she hasn't converted to the Fundamentalist movement of Christianity.

You might argue that you're taking poetic license and saying that she is some kind of Jewish equivalent of a Fundamentalist. But again this thing she is involved in is not evidence of even a Jewish equivalent creed to Fundamentalism. Just being involved in charity, and being religious has nothing to do with being Fundamentalist.

IF Bailek came out and said that "evolution is a bunch of poppycock" and the earth is only 6000 years old (who knows? She might even believe that, but shes never come out and said it in public AFAIK), then THAT would be evidence of her being a Jewish equivalent to a "Fundamentalist", because that would mean she was denying science in order to strictly adhere to scripture. She could spit on the poor and not be involved in charity. But if she believes that they wrangled T-Rex and got him onto Noah's Ark, then she is a "Fundie". But if she does good charitable stuff but doesn't adhere to Biblical literalism than she is not a Fundie.

BUT...even if she were a "Fundie" in some loose sense that would apply to Judaism, she still couldn't be an actual "Fundie" in the strict sense because she isn't a Protestant Christian.

^this...that is sort of what I was trying to get at earlier.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 2:34 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I think it's fair to say "people who hear religious voices are no different to people who hear other voices and usually get called mentally ill". I don't think it's fair to say "people who hear religious voices are mentally ill", but I don't think it's religious intolerance.

Not a fan of Bialik - she's an anti-vaxxer (although not an extremist) and has made some questionable remarks about TBBT's portrayal of autism.

No its not religious intolerance, Pence is just playing the victim. A lot of fundies take the bits in the bible about Christians having to defend their faith in the face of persecution a bit too literally and much of the time see 'persecution' where it doesn't actually exist. Maybe it wasn't 'nice' to compare that to mental illness...but that is not religious persecution.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 8:13 pm

@Sweetleaf: I don't think there is persecution of any religious group, but I do think selective condemnation is used way too much these days.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:54 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
@Sweetleaf: I don't think there is persecution of any religious group, but I do think selective condemnation is used way too much these days.

It probably is, but its used way too much on all sides it seems, not just one of the other.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 1:13 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

It probably is, but its used way too much on all sides it seems, not just one of the other.

I think everybody does it at some point.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 5:47 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Fundie is a slur now?

In my own mainline Lutheran church, we use the word, "fundie," to describe other Christians who take literalism way too far - - including those in our own churchbody.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 6:08 pm

And...there is a bay in Canada named "Fundy". No one complains about that! :D

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 12:06 pm

'The View': Joy Behar apologizes for comment comparing religion to mental illness

Quote:
Joy Behar used Tuesday's episode of The View to apologize for a month-old comment suggesting some Christians' belief that Jesus talks to them is a form of mental illness.

At the time, Behar remarked, "It's one thing to talk to Jesus. It's another thing when Jesus talks to you. That's called mental illness"

n Monday night, Pence told Fox News' Sean Hannity that Behar had called him personally to apologize.

"I give Joy Behar a lot of credit," he said. "She picked up the phone. She called me. She was very sincere, and she apologized. And one of the things my faith teaches me is grace: forgive as you've been forgiven."

He said he also encouraged her to use her platform to "apologize to tens of millions of Americans who were equally offended."

Tuesday, Behar told her audience, "I think Vice President Pence is right. I was raised to respect everyone's religious faith, and I fell short of that. I sincerely apologize for what I said.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 12:29 pm

I was at the Bay of Fundy once.

Fundamentally sound tides---the largest in the world, if I'm not mistaken. I think the difference between low and high tide in certain areas around the Bay of Fundy is about 54 feet.