Joy Beher - Pence is mentally ill based on religious beliefs

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 12:14 pm

Pence accuses 'The View' of 'religious intolerance' after Behar compares his faith to mental illness

Quote:
Vice President Pence on Wednesday accused “The View” of expressing “religious intolerance” after the talk show’s hosts compared his religious stances with "mental illness."

“It is just simply wrong for ABC to have a television program that expresses that kind of religious intolerance,” Pence said at an event sponsored by Axios.

His comments came a day after “The View” co-host Joy Behar said Pence hearing Jesus speak to him was the same as hearing voices.

“It’s one thing to talk to Jesus,” Behar said. “It’s another thing when Jesus talks to you. That’s called mental illness if I’m not correct. That’s hearing voices.”

The show’s hosts were discussing former White House aide Omarosa Manigault-Newman appearing on “Celebrity Big Brother” and saying that Pence “thinks Jesus tells him to say things.”

Co-host Sherri Shepherd began to defend Pence, saying as a Christian, she also talks to Jesus, but added, “What concerns me is how long is the conversation with Jesus?”

he also talks to Jesus, but added, “What concerns me is how long is the conversation with Jesus?”

Pence said “The View” insulted the vast majority of Americans who practiced any kind of faith and showed how "out of touch some in the mainstream media are."

If she had attacked a core belief of any other religion she would be out of work. Anti christian especially anti fundemendilst Christian prejudice is acceptable prejudice. If a host said fundementalist Jews are mentally ill because they wear long hair and a lot of black clothes in the summertime they would be out on thier ass. The slur “fundie” is considered an ok way to attack people.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 12:16 pm

I think Behar went too far.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 11:24 pm

I'm split on this between 'consider the source' and 'consider how many people do take The View seriously'.

My big hope and dream is that Youtube will spawn enough choice intellects, and new media networks by Youtube personalities, that shows like this will eventually be displaced. Sure, there will always be common-denominator TV and a common-denominator audience but the broader culture won't feel trapped in or subject to that world.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 12:25 am

Fundie is a slur now?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 12:53 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Fundie is a slur now?

Hasn’t it always?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 1:26 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Fundie is a slur now?

Hasn’t it always?

It is short for fundamentalist.

fundamentalist
noun
an adherent of fundamentalism, a religious movement characterized by a strict belief in the literal interpretation of religious texts:

adjective
noting or relating to fundamentalism or fundamentalists:
fundamentalist sects.

So no I don't think it is a slur, granted there is good reason not to be fond of fundamentalism.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 6:01 am

Both Behar and Pence are in gray areas.

Its a long time running joke among shrinks that "in our society you are considered sane if you claim to talk to God (ie pray), but are considered insane if you claim that God talks to you". Behar isn't the first person to spout that line. Except that that second part isn't always true. Some folks do claim that God "speaks" to them, and claim that without being carted off to the booby hatch. It depends on how someone makes that claim.

Even a recent president claimed to prefer advice from his "other father" over that from his ex president human father.

If God can be "your copilot (as per the book title)" can Jesus be your speechwriter? I think not because if you claim that Jesus tells you what to say then you are claiming to be Jesus' mouth piece. That IS a little bit beyond normal Fundamentalism.

So that claim by Pence does make him fair game to be made fun of. Not saying that Pence is certifiably insane. Just saying that he's fair game for verbal barbs. Away from the TV cameras even Trump has been observed to make fun of his own veep's pious excesses.

So I don't see the problem.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 10:38 am

“Fundie” is an insult.

It makes light of their religious beliefs.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 10:59 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
“Fundie” is an insult.

It makes light of their religious beliefs.

Indeed. The Big Bang Theory's Mayim Bialik (Dr. Amy Farrah Fowler) is a Board of Directors member of the 114-year-old Jewish Free Loan Association in Los Angeles which "offers interest-free loans on a non-sectarian basis to individuals and families whose needs are urgent and who may not qualify through normal financial resources. ...JFLA affirms the ancient biblical requirement for interest-free lending by offering assistance to people in need with the goal of helping them to lead more rewarding and responsible lives."

This would by any definition, make Bialik a titch fundementalist in her religious beliefs, no? Because of her social and real-life activities, I have admired her more than her cast cohorts for years.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 11:02 am

Behar is just jealous that Jesus has Mike on speed dial.

Improve your praying skills and perhaps The Prince of Peace will invite you into his inner circle.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 11:12 am

Religion, when done right, can very well yield superior results to pure atheism.

It’s certainly helped many people on the margins of society.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 11:13 am

Syd is a lady Groucho Marxist.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 11:15 am

Much of what's billed as fundamentalism is actually literalism, rather than a focus on the fundamental basis of the particular faith.

A fundamental of Judaism - tikkun olam: to be in the world in such a way as to make it better by your presence, which serves the Creator through serving Creation.

A fundamental of Christianity - “Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind and thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

A fundamental of Islam - to serve, worship, and lovingly submit to God.

(Notice I said "a" fundamental, not "the fundamental". But in my own religious studies, the above values arise repeatedly as central.)

I have nothing but respect for people who are living their faith in this way. It's quite possible to live and work alongside all such people in harmony, if you act towards them in good faith too.

OTOH, I have very little respect for people who claim these values, but are actually using their faith affiliation as justification for hatemongering. It's fairly easy to tell the difference...

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Last edited by Esmerelda Weatherwax on 16 Feb 2018, 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 11:25 am

There is frequently a claim, among those who adhere to ascetic and “strict” beliefs, that their beliefs are “back to the basics” and “pure”—and hence, “fundamental.”

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 11:27 am

True, that; but it rarely holds up to close inspection! (Which is why critical thinkers are regarded as such troublemakers :-P .)

(Edit in: the real value, on close inspection, is usually some form of self-aggrandizement.)

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 11:29 am

True... you really can’t go too far with these folks before they blow a gasket :P