Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Lawrence
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Feb 2018, 1:12 pm

Theres definitely something different about me. I seem to go wrong socially but I don't know what it is I do. I find it hard to answer the questionnaires the Doctors provided for me as I'm not very introspective for me. My mum and sister are adamant I have autism. On about 5 occasions I've been asked if I had autism also. My only doubt lies in the fact I wasn't this way all my life. I didn't talk until about 5. I made a lot of friends in primary and secondary school. I wonder if it's possible I regressed? I don't think I showed obvious signs when I was younger after the age of 5. I made friends easily was pretty successful with women and with jobs. But not now. When I was about 20 something slightly bad happened but nothing traumatic and I completely shut down and hardly said a word for about a year. I experienced some psychotic symptoms in that time. I had some delusion of reference. To cut a long story short I felt I was getting instructions on call or duty to do something on Facebook. I missed one message but got the 2nd one. After that I seemed to get my voice back but I felt for a long time because I missed the first one I didn't fully get back to myself. Sounds crazy I know but I believed it for a long time. I've seen been diagnosed with bipolar. I know my autism (if I even have it) isn't serious but I lack a lot of confidence now. My family say I always had the signs but I don't believe there were obvious signs of if when I was younger. I'm worried my questionnaire won't be accurate because I'm basically going on what my family say on it. From what I've said does autism sound feasible?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 1:17 pm

You seem to be saying that you didn't talk until you were 5. That could be a sign that you were autistic then. That's not "normal."

Lawrence
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Feb 2018, 1:26 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
You seem to be saying that you didn't talk until you were 5. That could be a sign that you were autistic then. That's not "normal."

Yeah I guess. But after that I'd say autism wasn't OBVIOUS. Until age 20. My problem is I communicate with my family a lot differently than I do other people. I talk at my family rather than to them. I talk about my problems too and im way too negative. With others I at least try to hide my low self esteem and put a bit of a mask on but I don't seem to get many people to like me

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

15 Feb 2018, 1:37 pm

Not talking until the age of 5 could be autism. Maybe you have both autism AND some personality disorder.
Making friends with little kids doesn't require sofisticated approach and they are not so judgemental.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Feb 2018, 3:08 pm

I wouldn't use friends as a child as reason to doubt autism. Making friends as a child is easy and requires very little social skills.

When I was 8 years old, my family moved to a new neighbor hood. My dad got tired of me being in the way while they were unpacking, and he told me to go outside and make some friends. I remember going out to the end of the driveway and stood there for a few minutes before kids started greeting me. By the end of the day, I had a half dozen new friends.

As an adult, standing at the end of the drive way, people will just look at you as a weirdo and avoid you.

If it helps, I had lots of child hood friends, and didn't start "speaking" until I was 4. I could talk but preferred to use gestures and sound effects to communicate.

Lawrence
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Feb 2018, 8:37 am

FallingDownMan wrote:
I wouldn't use friends as a child as reason to doubt autism. Making friends as a child is easy and requires very little social skills.

When I was 8 years old, my family moved to a new neighbor hood. My dad got tired of me being in the way while they were unpacking, and he told me to go outside and make some friends. I remember going out to the end of the driveway and stood there for a few minutes before kids started greeting me. By the end of the day, I had a half dozen new friends.

As an adult, standing at the end of the drive way, people will just look at you as a weirdo and avoid you.

If it helps, I had lots of child hood friends, and didn't start "speaking" until I was 4. I could talk but preferred to use gestures and sound effects to communicate.

Yeah but I was quite popular in my teens room unless I just learned to manage

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2018, 1:12 pm

Lawrence wrote:
FallingDownMan wrote:

Yeah but I was quite popular in my teens room unless I just learned to manage

I was so popular in high school that I was the one who threw our senior skip day party. And what a party it was.