Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 11:21 pm

I’ve been to parts of Europe, some of the Western Hemisphere north of 9 degrees north latitude, and Hawaii.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 11:23 pm

^^^that's pretty good, I've never been able to leave the continental USA. Tijuana is as far south as I've gone, and west Edmonton [AB] was as far north.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 11:25 pm

My wife is from a place which is at about 10 degrees north latitude, and about 60 degrees west longitude.

Farthest east: Istanbul, Turkey

Farthest north: Edinburgh, Scotland

Farthest south: Trinidad

Farthest west: Hawaii

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 11:35 pm

^^^ wow :o you've been all over the globe! :star:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 11:37 pm

Never been to the Southern Hemisphere, nor Asia (except for Istanbul), nor Africa.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 11:42 pm

Istanbul sounds romantic, as does the picturesque plains and sunsets of Africa. wish I could travel more.

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 4:12 am

auntblabby wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep.....more intense pain tends to drown out less intense pain.

but a funny thing, is the overpowering domination of negative feelings over positive emotions, it takes a lot more than an ice cream cone to distract a screaming tantruming toddler. the depths of pain subjectively have more power, than the heights of pleasure. that, to me, is about the most fked up part of our world.

We're biologically programmed to respond to and give more attention to negative feedback, as a survival mechanism. I wish I could remember what book it was I read that in, but it was one of my usual biological/psychological sciences book. It might've even been one of the books about Trauma and PTSD.

I am a Bookwyrm.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 4:14 am

LittleCoyoteKat wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep.....more intense pain tends to drown out less intense pain.

but a funny thing, is the overpowering domination of negative feelings over positive emotions, it takes a lot more than an ice cream cone to distract a screaming tantruming toddler. the depths of pain subjectively have more power, than the heights of pleasure. that, to me, is about the most fked up part of our world.

We're biologically programmed to respond to and give more attention to negative feedback, as a survival mechanism. I wish I could remember what book it was I read that in, but it was one of my usual biological/psychological sciences book. It might've even been one of the books about Trauma and PTSD.

this ol' man's survival strategy is to pay as much attention to the good things as I possibly can, in the hopes of distracting attention from the ungood things.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 4:59 am

auntblabby wrote:
this ol' man's survival strategy is to pay as much attention to the good things as I possibly can, in the hopes of distracting attention from the ungood things.

We probably won't see death comin' for us because we are too busy perving at a pretty woman in a miniskirt... Not a bad way to go, imo...:mrgreen: