Page 1 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 10:42 am

LittleCoyoteKat wrote:
That was very poetic and thoughtful. Thanks for the YouTube link, I really really enjoyed that music. :D

Smiles. You are very welcome..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 6:46 pm

Pepe wrote:
A very nice intellectual construct...
Errm...Is this philosophy from the "Orange People"?
I could Google, but hey... :mrgreen:

I'm not 100% sure. Jiddu Krishnamurti was a speaker/writer/philosopher that was adopted by the head of a Theosophical society, and he had been groomed early on to be a "World Teacher" (whatever that meant) but he rejected it once he got old enough, and went on to more or less think out loud to anyone interested in listening.
It's possible there are some origins, similarities, or derivations there. I think it was around the 1950s that he became known enough here that he started offering public talks in the open air in Ojai, California.

Pepe wrote:
Personally, I find it odd how overwhelmingly people, garden variety or otherwise, have this great urgency to hunt down happiness/pleasure, kill it, stuff it and mount it on their chronological lifeline wall...
And then rinse and repeat...

People are very odd indeed... :mrgreen:

P.S.
Life actually is meaningless... 8O
It is up to each individual to define their own personalised existential meaning...
ciao... 8)

I think that people who fanatically seek it out are both addicted to it, the process or end result or even both, and also they likely feel it's the only thing that gives their lives meaning. Or perhaps they're afraid that if there isn't pleasure, they have it's opposite and don't know what to do with it, or that it means their life is one that is somehow lacking in quality.

They very much are.

Life is everything and nothing, all at once. :D

I am a Bookwyrm.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 8:16 pm

I think the pleasure and meaning pursuit actually follows a pretty simple logic and it goes something like this:

Whatever kinds of crazy your own brain throws at you, you have to manage it and deal with it for what it is.

I think that's part of why I appreciate his comment that while he wouldn't suggest attempts to not do it he would recommend following it up with open eyes and clear self-awareness.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 8:21 pm

I wish I could have "spiritual stuff" happen to me.

It's just never happened for me. The most I ever got was an occasional feeling of "deja vu."

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 9:10 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I wish I could have "spiritual stuff" happen to me.

It's just never happened for me. The most I ever got was an occasional feeling of "deja vu."

I'm trying to be serious here...
It's hard...
Very hard...
Not because I think what you are saying is funny...
It's because I see: life the universe and everything as a very, very bad joke... :wink:

What "concerns" me with what you are saying here is that you want to go from being grounded and rational to being emotional and irrational...(I would have said "wanting to dance with the fairies" but I restrained myself...errr...D'oh! 8O )

You want to jump ship away from your allegiance to the rational left brain hemisphere and reach out to the creative, emotional but ultimately irrational right brain hemisphere...

To each his own, but it is like losing a comrade in the battle between rationalism and emotionalism...<sigh> :wink:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 9:13 pm

I'm a rationalist. I want to understand, more, the "other side," though.

When I was younger, I wanted to be "spiritual" because I knew it would win me more friends. I just couldn't BS, though. So I continued to lack friends, and still continue to.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 9:30 pm

I think it is possible to overthink this. since the working memory can only hold one discrete thought at one time, that thought becomes our reality for the few seconds that the brain can entertain it. if it is a bad thought, our reality can feel bad for that amount of time or longer if it recycles. however, if you replace that thought, with extreme prejudice, with another thought, no matter what thought, even one so trivial and insipid as "I love ice cream!" then that new thought is your new reality for however long you can recycle it. naturally, you want a thought that is sustainable, a perseveration even. it is like when we were kids, and when we accidentally stubbed our toe tripping on something, then while we were cussing and massaging our toe, a bee stings us, then all of a sudden that bee sting is all that we are thinking about, having totally been distracted from that throbbing toe. let us all find something with as much thought-hijacking power as that bee sting, but nicer. :idea:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 9:33 pm

Yep.....more intense pain tends to drown out less intense pain.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 9:38 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Yep.....more intense pain tends to drown out less intense pain.

but a funny thing, is the overpowering domination of negative feelings over positive emotions, it takes a lot more than an ice cream cone to distract a screaming tantruming toddler. the depths of pain subjectively have more power, than the heights of pleasure. that, to me, is about the most fked up part of our world.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 9:42 pm

The same with the news. Negativity sells many more papers than positivity.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 9:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
The same with the news. Negativity sells many more papers than positivity.

I remember back in the day, there was this newspaper which specialized in good news only, and it folded [pun ;) ] relatively soon. the pundits of the day chalked it up to persistently rotten human nature.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 10:08 pm

You would have liked Mad Magazine, I'm sure.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 10:10 pm

I grew up on MAD and hotrod comix :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 10:14 pm

I used to really get into Archie----when they cost 10 cents, 25 cents for the big digest. "Sugar Sugar," by the Archies, was constantly played on the radio in the summer of 1969, like "Honky-tonk Woman."

I liked Mad, too. I didn't understand "Spy vs Spy" until I got older, though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 10:15 pm

ah, the good ol' days..... :mrgreen:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 10:16 pm

Did you ever follow the Seattle Pilots?