Is it possible to regress in early adulthood?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Lawrence
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Feb 2018, 2:17 pm

I'm not yet diagnosed but there was a sudden change when I hit about 20. I coped pretty well from ages 5-20. But at 20 a couple of bad experiences happened including a breakdown of a relationship and failing uni and also doing something stupid involving money. At first I didn't say a word for about a year. I got my voice back eventually but I feel that I never returned to "normal". I'm not very self aware so find it hard to explain some specifics but I'm a lot less successful socially and career wise than I was. Even teenage me could get better jobs than me at 28. Does this sound like regression and has anyone else had it?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 3:26 pm

I feel this was some sort of "regression" caused by trauma.

I am skeptical as to whether it was caused by autism. I lean towards more so-called "conventional causes"---like trauma, or some sort of dissociative disorder.

Before you started to speak at age 5, how were you with kids, and how was your behavior in general?

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 5:15 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZwfujkNBGk

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 9:28 pm

ASD doesn't get worse with age. However, here's a quote from the DSM-5:

"[Symptoms] may not become fully manifest until social demands exceed limited capacities..."

I've heard that a lot of people tend to get diagnosed in their early 20s because the changing demands on them cause some kind of breakdown, which leads to diagnosis.

From what you describe, it sure seem like what you're calling "regressing" is your symptoms becoming more manifest because demands are now exceeding your capacities.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 10:32 pm

SplendidSnail wrote:
ASD doesn't get worse with age. However, here's a quote from the DSM-5:

"[Symptoms] may not become fully manifest until social demands exceed limited capacities..."

I've heard that a lot of people tend to get diagnosed in their early 20s because the changing demands on them cause some kind of breakdown, which leads to diagnosis.

From what you describe, it sure seem like what you're calling "regressing" is your symptoms becoming more manifest because demands are now exceeding your capacities.

thats the exact reason why i got diagnosed.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 9:04 am

Lawrence

It appears that you are constantly progressing, staying put, or regressing

It sounds like, it is not happening or possible to, guarantee that you only get the first two

"Early adulthood" is vague and broad

And you can't measure social skills per se

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 9:19 am

Well, for one thing, work has gotten worse since you were twenty. I did my best work by far when I was subtly supported by having friends to help guide me through things I didn't do well. Without them, I can't focus well enough to do cutting-edge work.

Legatia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Feb 2018, 11:40 am

This happened to me as well, but I think it was the increased amount of responsability, decrease of external structure and the infinite possibilities that I faced. High school was terrible, but young adulthood was worst because of all this. I spent about 2-3 years playing video games in my room and doing nothing else. I'm still trying to figure out what I should do with my life now, at 31... I got kids in the meantime, but aside from that I have no idea what I want or should do and my only social life is with my husband and kids...

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 11:56 am

This makes me think of my weird attempt to participate in a kind of group culture. What I found online is the hobby of Toy Collecting and I found the McFarlane / Spawn figures interesting because of the high detail and I also got some anime and transformers figures. Now to be a little fair, I'm not saying Toy Collecting is bad, but it kind of depends on context. I think it's something a person with lots of room and money can indulge in. I do think shelves of these toys in my small apartment was not a practical way to be spending my limited money and my parents thought it was bizarre.

I had also maneuvered my way onto the solo Night Shift and wasn't regularly talking to anyone at work for a long time. When I was at a family reunion, my grandma asked me if I was sick because I was so pale.