Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 3:50 pm

I do. I wonder if others do.

When I'm reading anyone's FB posts, I read it in their voice in my head. I know most of their voices in real life, so it's automatic.

But I also do that here. I've only met two people from WP, one intentionally, one by happenstance. Neither are frequent posters, but I've heard their voices in person. For all the "regulars," who's posts I read here, my brain has assigned a "voice," to and I read many posts in the voice of each forum personality as if they're a book or movie character or something.

Do others do this? It's nothing I ever intended to do, it just sorta happened. Makes me wonder how far off their actual voices sound from the ones my mind has assigned.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 4:00 pm

I thought everyone did that. :|

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 4:07 pm

Raleigh wrote:
I thought everyone did that. :|

Maybe they do? I've never asked anyone before nor read/heard about it. Perhaps it's just a regular human thing to do and I'm not unique in this whatsoever.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 4:14 pm

Do you assign accents too?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 4:20 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Do you assign accents too?

Yes. Definitely.

I also assign speed, too. There are some who post who are perhaps less educated, or perhaps lower IQ, or perhaps just lazy in the way they type (although I'm not exactly essay formal, either, as I type on forums sort of how I'd speak in casual conversation) who when I read their posts in their "voice," their voice is also a bit of a slower speed that matches my impression of their overall "brightness." Come to think of it, I think I read things from positive people in a bit more upbeat pace and things from depressive people in a bit slower one, too.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 4:28 pm

^ Your voice in my head is very upbeat and quite loud for some reason. :lol:
Do you speak loudly?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 4:42 pm

Raleigh wrote:
^ Your voice in my head is very upbeat and quite loud for some reason. :lol:
Do you speak loudly?

Accurate.

I tend to speak loudly & quickly. Sometimes people have to tell me to lower my voice (it's late at night) and I do, as I acknowledge that I sometimes have difficulty with volume regulation and thus don't take offence to their requests to speak softer so as not to disturb their apartment neighbours. I also tend to speak very quickly compared to most & sometimes people comment on my mile-a-minute speech and ask me to slow down. An ESL Eastern European medical doctor recently asked me to slow my speech down and make only one point at a time so she could document things. An ESL woman at the beach the other day commented that my speech was very fast and she had great difficulty keeping up with what I was saying because her English processing is significantly slower than her native Asian language.

And when I Want to speak loudly I have a BOOMING voice that can be heard from quite a distance & can easily command attention when necessary. This has been an asset when it comes to emergency situations or getting a riled up crowd of people to STFU and de-escalate a situation before it turns into a brawl. It's like the stereotypical deep father figure voice that stuns small children into stopping their bs shenanigans and falling into line like well behaved normal people. It's an authoritative tone that gets even the craziest people known for violence to calm right down & pay attention as if the sound of my voice equates to the physical might I could impose upon them. Although, it doesn't hurt that I'm physically imposing to some at 6'2" ~200lbs ~14%bf; little do they know I'm a lover not a fighter.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 4:52 pm

^ Aha!
I have a Canadian acquaintance who has helped to supply your accent - incidently, she speaks a mile to the minute too. 8O

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 5:00 pm

Raleigh wrote:
^ Aha!
I have a Canadian acquaintance who has helped to supply your accent - incidently, she speaks a mile to the minute too. 8O

Where in Canada is she from? There are many distinctive accents across the country.

Some here have asked me where my accent is from, which is common since so many people here where I live are born outside the country. I think what they’re picking up on isn’t my accent so much as it may be the Aspie prosody of my speech - which is stronger when my symptoms are stronger, and more subtle when they’re well under control. I’ve never disclosed this, though. I just tell them I’m from here and that’s that.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 5:14 pm

^ Calgary

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 6:03 pm

Raleigh wrote:
^ Calgary

Probably a little different from the West Coast (I have relatives from all over Alberta) but not thaaat different when compared to people from Toronto, or especially from the Maritimes on the far East coast. To me, accents are minimal in the far West and get stronger and more distinctive the farther East you go. MANY people have difficulty understanding people from Newfoundland kind of like they speak in Cockney slang or something in comparison to the rest of us.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 6:28 pm

Australian accents are not classified by location, but by class.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 7:06 pm

Raleigh wrote:
Australian accents are not classified by location, but by class.

Like England. I read Pygmalion in high school.

Here, I’d say it’s more vocabulary that distinguishes between classes.

Or language :lol: now that we have so many multimillionaire Chinese people here..

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2018, 7:40 pm

Once in a while, I can hear a character's "voice" when I read.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 4:29 am

Usually I have a non-descript voice in my head when I'm reading. I don't always read in the other person's voice.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 4:39 am

having been taught "speed reading" the first thing they teach you is to silence the inner voice, as it slows down word uptake. so my words that I read, for the most part, are silent. sometimes a whispery ghost machine voice slips in.