Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Sorrend
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2018, 9:52 pm

Hello!

I've been applying to colleges lately. In fact, I believe I've finished my last application, but I can't be sure. The process of applying has been exceeding stressful. It's full of steps I didn't know I needed to take, paperwork no one told me to keep, and questions that I can't possible know the answers to.

For example;
I was asked for proof of several eight grade classes that I took. I am a senior in high-school now and never thought of recording any of this.
I'm being asked to give proof that I don't have meningitis for a college that I haven't even been accepted into.
Some of the colleges that I found on the common app* also require you, after completing the common app, to fill out more application-like forms on their website!

I can't imagine anyone being able to do this all properly, none the less someone on the spectrum, ADHD, or a learning disability. There are so many steps that can be messed up.

I've already screwed up on several steps for several colleges, which leads me to be even more anxious about being "caught," even though many were minor, honest mistakes.

Had anyone else experienced this? How did you deal with it? What happened? Perhaps this is a normal occurrence when you're from the "wrong planet."

*The common app is a website where schools can create an application that is similar or identical to many others. This way, it's meant to be easier to apply to several colleges at once.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 5:47 am

Sorrend wrote:
Hello!

I've been applying to colleges lately. In fact, I believe I've finished my last application, but I can't be sure. The process of applying has been exceeding stressful. It's full of steps I didn't know I needed to take, paperwork no one told me to keep, and questions that I can't possible know the answers to.

For example;
I was asked for proof of several eight grade classes that I took. I am a senior in high-school now and never thought of recording any of this.
I'm being asked to give proof that I don't have meningitis for a college that I haven't even been accepted into.
Some of the colleges that I found on the common app* also require you, after completing the common app, to fill out more application-like forms on their website!

I can't imagine anyone being able to do this all properly, none the less someone on the spectrum, ADHD, or a learning disability. There are so many steps that can be messed up.

I've already screwed up on several steps for several colleges, which leads me to be even more anxious about being "caught," even though many were minor, honest mistakes.

Had anyone else experienced this? How did you deal with it? What happened? Perhaps this is a normal occurrence when you're from the "wrong planet."

*The common app is a website where schools can create an application that is similar or identical to many others. This way, it's meant to be easier to apply to several colleges at once.

The way the schools see it is, the application is a weeding process. Those who find a way to complete the application get full consideration.

If you don't get in to school this time around, make note of the information you will need and consider having a parent or high school guidance counselor help you with applications next year.

Sophia1312
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Feb 2018, 10:36 pm

College apps have been really stressful for me as well. I am not much or a writer and perfecting my personal statement has been such a challenge; especially on top of maintaining good grades in the classes I'm currently taking. I don't have any tips really just that you're not alone and that its really cool to be going to college.