Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 1:23 am

Hi all. I want to talk about something else that has been eating me up inside. Why does religious evangelism still exist?

I totally understand why Christian evangelism existed back in Ancient Rome. Christianity was originally a religion which took ancient Roman values and inverted them. Thus, Christianity gave comfort to those who the Romans deemed to be weak and worthless.

Addionally, most people back then didn't really have a good idea of what Christianity was because Christians were a tiny minority and the Roman authorities constantly made propaganda about them. For example, the Roman authorities insisted that Christianity was a pro-incest cult. Thus, early Christians constantly had to undo the harmful effects of Roman propaganda. Addionally, the Christians had to distance themselves from more violent Jewish sects like the Sicarii and the Zealots.

Here's the Thing: Times have changed. The "good news" is no longer news. Everyone already knows what Christianity is all about because we see it everywhere. We've all heard it a million times. We know that Christianity promotes nonviolence. This was a special thing back in Ancient Rome, but nowadays every religion claims to be anti-violence. We know that God is more merciful than Jupiter. This isn't saying much, given that Jupiter was a rapist and a borderline sociopath.

Overall it seems to me that Christian evangelism is anachronistic. Given that every religious group (including atheism) has a left-wing branch and a right-wing branch nowadays, it seems to me that changing people's religious beliefs is pointless.

In other words, I've grown up and accepted that atheist evangelism is pointless. Why can't religious people come to the same conclusion? The "good news" isn't news. Everyone has heard it a thousand times. Everyone has already made up their minds. Why can't we move on and focus on some other aspect of society? Tell me something I don't know.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

17 Feb 2018, 2:21 pm

More merciful than Jupiter? The Christian god created humans with his all knowing and all powerful capabilities. To have them tortured for all eternity because they did something against his will? Which I find laughably contradictory. Sin is doing something against gods will. If god is all powerful and all knowing, sin is impossible unless it is his will. Someone all powerful and all knowing has to be introduced to the concept of all responsible. Responsible for all rape, violence, death, and famine. Far worse then being a borderline sociopath.