Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 4:43 am

Does anyone here see these activists as the opposite of pro Ana?

I do because of the reasons I have posted in my blog I don't feel like typing it all out again. I see them as toxic too because they will shun anyone who loses weight and not care if your weight was causing your joints to hurt or making it hard for you to breath at times or even keeping up with your activities, they will accuse you of fat shaming for wanting to make a change to yourself.

They also dismiss medical facts about obesity and problems it causes for people who are morbid obese.

They will also try and convince other obese people to not lose weight and that their problem is with society, not their weight and that their pain is due to other things and other medical issues.

They take any medical facts about obesity as an attack. They really throw the word "fat shaming" around it has lost its meaning. Now it has become a buzzword for me I don't take it seriously.

They will even accuse you of fat shaming if you lose weight or if you feel fat or don't want to gain 150 lbs.

They are also against diets and will try and convince others diets do not work to try and discourage them to lose weight but yet some of them turn around and eat healthy and do work outs and will even say they lost some weight but yet don't like thinnies talking about doing the same thing or fatties going from fat to thin to a point they are in the overweight BMI or in the normal BMI range. Yes a size 16 is considered thin compared to a morbid obese person.

They also dismiss thin struggles and thin shaming.

They will admit eating disorders being unhealthy and that being anorexic is bad but they dismiss health problems morbid obese people face and call it fat shaming but they don't call health problems anorexics face as thin shaming.

They turn it into a competition so if you are overweight and you complain about your size, they hate it and call it fat shaming and play the feelings police by telling you how you should feel. Why? Because you can still fit into seats and still find your size in plus size stores and you don't take up space and people don't stare or complain about you taking up two seats and stuff. They make it be all about them.

I see overlaps between fat activists and HAES for their behavior and attitude, they are no different from each other.

I am happy at weighting 120 and I choose this size so take that HAES. Sorry it's not big enough. :twisted:

Yeah my parents will sometimes voice their concern about my body and ask for my weight and my mom will sometimes make me stand on the scale, why? Because she cares about me and I don't accuse her of thin shaming, especially when she wants to check my back with no clothes. But this wouldn't mean anything to the HAES. :evil: I just tell her every time I am not going to go anorexic and look like a Holocaust victim. It's no different than my husband reassuring me he is not going to get fatter from a bag of chips because he has not eaten all day and he barely eats. He doesn't accuse me of fat shaming him either when I start to get concerned about his eating habits because he has eaten nothing but junk food than anything healthy. But however, it's none of my business for anyone else about their body size and their eating habits so I wouldn't start throwing out unsolicited advice at anyone who are overweight assuming they want to be thin as me. If they ask or express their desire how they wish they could eat anything and not worry about their weight or how they wish they can lose some weight, then I will weigh in and leave it at that and not keep pushing it in their face.

Why does my mom get concerned about my weight, because I have had unhealthy relationship with my own body before and with food so she gets worried I am going to go anorexic by forgetting to eat and because I am working out. As for my husband, he has been obese, so obese he couldn't go on rides, it was hard for him to fit into my car, it was hard to have sex with him or even find clothes that fit him and then he lost weight and now things are easier now and it's easy to find clothes for him now and he can fit in the car better. See why I would also get concerned? But the HAES wouldn't care. They would just see it as fat shaming and bigotry despite the fact my husband couldn't go on all rides and could barely fit in my car or how hard it was to buy him new clothes or even have sex. They don't care.

My husband is still considered morbid obese by the BMI calculator but he doesn't look morbid obese. He isn't round anymore.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 5:37 am

The HAES Theme Song
VVV

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 10:18 am

I think I will start a movement.

Call it the "burn at the stake everyone who doesn't explain WTF theyre talking about on Wrongplanet threads" movement!

Folks post something with an acronym for some condition they might have, but do not state what the acronym stands for.

Had to Google "Pro Ana".

I guess part of the problem is that I am an old timer who is not hip to all of these online "movements".

Last edited by naturalplastic on 17 Feb 2018, 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 10:27 am

Okay. I got THAT off my chest.

Actually that's very interesting.

I didn't know about either movement.

I guess it HAD to happen. There would be BOTH a "pro anorexia" movement, and militant fanatic pro obesity movement.

Kinda goes to what Techgeneration was posting about. How the Net is balkanizing us all into splinter groups.

Am more tolerant of the heavier-than-ideal then I used to be because I am more aware of how they get discriminated against then I used to be, and more awae of the nuances of how there is no ideal weight (some folks are healthy being a bit heavy).

But too much of anything is too much. And too extreme is too extreme.

Agree with the OP that both pro anorexia groups and this group you're talking about are being irresponsible, reprehensible, and are mirror images of each other.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 5:17 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
The HAES Theme Song
VVV

That song makes more sense now and where he came up with it in the 80's, even back then those people existed and my mom knew of their existence before social media. I remember her telling me how some people feel entitled and want special treatment and used fat people as an example who complain about clothes not being made in their size and play the victim card. I thought she was just making that up.

No it just costs more money to make the material and there needs to be enough demand for them to make it so maybe if fat people submit their request to them and if they get enough of them, they will maybe start making it in their size. That is how businesses work, supply and demand.

Why does it cost the same to make XS, S, M, L, material? I had no idea bigger clothes costed more until I started seeing them complain about it. I had only noticed it with adult diapers.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 5:31 pm

I don't understand the purpose of these kind of 'movements'.

Its certainly not rational to discourage people looking after their health, and seeking treatment for health issues like morbid obesity or anorexia. Just beyond stupid.

That would be like encouraging people with PTSD to just revel in the trauma...rather than seeking support, or learning ways to manage it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 6:35 pm

I got blocked on Twitter by a kinkster who isn't even fat (more average sized but could be in the overweight range) and she accused me of fat shaming when I said being too skinny and too big was unhealthy when she tweeted a fatlogic thing. All she had to do was tell me what the point of that tweet was than accuse me of fat shaming when she asked me "excuse me?" so I clarified what I meant. I told her expressing facts and affects of it wasn't fat shaming and asked if she'd even see My 600 Lb Life and how debilitating that is and if she promoted that. She wouldn't answer that and told me instead she promotes people who are happy at any size but people who have negative thoughts about other bodies they keep to themselves. Then said she was blocking me because she didn't allow fat shaming on her page.

So I took that as she doesn't care about the health affects or the suffering those people face. But honestly I wouldn't want someone like her in my circle and you can't misunderstand being too big and too skinny being unhealthy and dismiss the medical facts and the affects that come with it. She is training to be a therapist so she can't be that stupid so I assume she doesn't care and is one of these people. But if my school counselor could be an idiot, I am sure therapists can be too unless my school counselor was pro autism where he believes they should never get better and it's everyone else's fault and society is the problem and I don't have to change. I can see why my mom would be mad. Instead of helping me, he was just giving me excuses and giving me a pat in the back and giving me the victim complex." Familiar too what HAES doctors do to obesity patients.

Being skinny fat is unhealthy
Smoking is unhealthy
Eating junk food is unhealthy
Doing drugs is unhealthy
Eating disorders are unhealthy.
Being underweight is unhealthy
Having too much muscle is unhealthy
Too much exercise is unhealthy
Too much water is unhealthy

See what I did here? I am just going to ignore those people and own the word "fat shaming" and continuing shaming everything else I just did. :lol: Oh I just skinny shamed someone on youtube when they said they were a former fat person losing weight and now they were almost down to 90 lbs so I told that I hope they are short because being too skinny is unhealthy and weight loss can become an addiction IMO where you can't stop. :wink: But there were other comments that were like telling her to keep it up and stuff and very few telling her to be careful. I found it disturbing comments were promoting her weight loss when she said she was almost 90 lbs and I found that troubling but if she is very small like under 5 foot, that is different. That is why I took height into consideration.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 11:13 pm

Both health issues, and language issues here.

Basically I am with you.

Extremes of any kind are usually bad for your health.

If you encounter either, a 90 pound pro anorexic, or a 600 pound morbidly obese person who feigns pride in being that way, on the Net its okay, indeed its your civic duty, to express concern for them, and to gently suggest that they get a little less extreme in their weight (regress toward the average in whichever direction they need to go) for their own health.

If they have a problem with it then its their problem. Not yours. If they accuse you of "fat shaming" or of "thin shaming", just fire back that they are committing "shame shaming". Lol!

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 12:44 am

How is "having too much muscle" unhealthy?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 3:41 pm

Closet Genious wrote:
How is "having too much muscle" unhealthy?

It makes your body work harder, heart and organs. Muscle burns more energy so if you have too much, that is my guess why it makes your body work harder.

I can't remember where I got that info but I can't seem to find it again.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 4:24 pm

Muscle weighs more per volume than does fat. So I can imagine how excessive muscle (like on a crazy body builder) could be dead weight that's just equivalent to excessive fat that just makes you overweight. Granted muscle does function to move your limbs, but too much muscle would yield diminishing returns when you're not at abody building contest, or a weight lifting contest. Might cause some of the same problems as obesity (you have to lug more weight around, and your heart has to work harder to supply blood to excess tissue. Like having a second engine in your car (like in the trunk) that you never use unless you go into overdrive on a super highway. The rest of the time its just cargo.