Im done with this place, and you should be too.

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

drwho222
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 3:45 pm

There are other aspie and autie places that don't have hypocritical moderation, that do realize that people like us have just cause to hate NTs, and that are not partnered with the Autism Speaks hate group. They consider this place a cesspool.

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

17 Feb 2018, 3:54 pm

You mean Autism Talk or something videos sponsored by Autism Speaks? So people should abandon this place?

DancingQueen
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Feb 2018, 4:18 pm

drwho222 wrote:
that do realize that people like us have just cause to hate NTs
That's like a black man hating a white man because he's white. It's discrimination but everyone looks the other way :roll:

smudgedhorizon
Toucan
Toucan

17 Feb 2018, 4:24 pm

Am I going to be banned?

KeepOn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Feb 2018, 5:26 pm

Eh, there are plenty of threads here bashing NTs. :?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 5:27 pm

Unfortunately, people bash themselves here, too.

There are also many threads which defend NT's

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 5:55 pm

Gosh. That's like someone complaining that "the KKK doesn't let me hate Blacks enough!", or "the Black Muslims suck because they don't let me hate wh***y enough!".

Okay. That's s SLIGHT exaggeration.WP is not a hate group. But it seems to me that the mods let folks do a good deal of ranting about NTs on this site without interference. Which they should do because WP should be safe space for autistics to vent, and whatever. You can bash NTs with greater license here than can bash any other groups (ethnicities, gays, religious groups).

I wish Mr Who would give us some examples of moderator mistreatment of him.

You must have gone crazy rabid for the mods to crack down on you about bashing NTs.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 6:25 pm

Two things.

Firstly. Not all the mods are bad. Some are very nice and helpful, and do their job well here. I've had interactions with plenty of nice ones. It's a very mixed bag, as there have been some bad ones (I think this site needs to be WAY more careful about who they appoint to such a position, and I say this as someone with moderator experience in various other forums) so to say that all of them are bad is just incorrect. It's never a good idea to put an all-encompassing label on anyone.

Part two: The NT-bashing stuff? Again, as someone with experience with moderation, that too would actually be considered unacceptable in many places. The bashing of any group, simply for them BEING in a particular group, is usually NOT a good thing (and is almost always stated as AGAINST THE RULES of *most* forums... regardless of the nature of the forum). Particularly when the group itself doesnt inherantly have something wrong about them (as in, they arent like, a group of actual criminals or something). In this case, it's people who just happen to be NT. There is nothing wrong with being NT. It's true, we've all had our run-ins with some bad ones, but... lemme put it this way: There are plenty of people on the spectrum who can be just as bad. Things like this are NOT specific to only one group, with others being immune to it. It absolutely does not work that way. There is no "just cause" to hate NTs as a group. That's not even negotiable. Would you like it if someone hated US as a group, simply because they met a couple of bad eggs that just happened to be on the spectrum? No, you probably wouldnt. You'd probably think it's unfair. Which it would be. But it works BOTH WAYS. Not just in the way that's convenient for you.

This sounds more like someone taking out their frustration on targets that do not deserve it, and THAT is NEVER a good thing to do. It is a BAD thing to do. Simply because you've had some bad experiences does not mean that EVERYONE in the group associated with them is bad.

If you've had frustrating experiences with NTs? It's fine if you want to talk about those experiences, and get help from people here. It's fine if you need to vent a bit. But just hating on ALL of them because you personally have gone through some nasty crap is outright wrong, and I think that deep down, you absolutely know it. There are constructive ways to vent and talk about these things, and there are outright hateful ways to do it. This stuff? It's that second one.

Quote:
That's like someone complaining that "the KKK doesn't let me hate Blacks enough!", or "the Black Muslims suck because they don't let me hate wh***y enough!".

In some ways this is a bit of an extreme example, but yes, it's exactly this sort of mentality. The sort of thinking the OP is stating? It's what leads to crap like that. The REALLY bad stuff.

You need to examine your own behavior here, OP. Dont fall into that trap, dont be that person who ends up prejudiced against others. Just dont. There's enough of that crap in the world as it is. We dont need more.

EyeDash
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Feb 2018, 7:10 pm

I really don't come to WP to bash anybody. I might want to see if others can relate to being bullied or ostracized, but it doesn't help me feel better about myself to belittle any particular group. There are of course NTs on WP, including family members or loved ones of autistics and they shouldn't be subject to hate directed their way. When I was younger I certainly had lots of resentments toward non-autistics and I post about those on WP, but passing that hurt and anger on to another person isn't useful. There's a difference between describing a resentment versus dumping on people. I know for a fact that some of those who hurt me the most were acting out abuse that happened to them - passing it along just results in more hurt people rather than healing. I like hearing the experience and wisdom other autistics have, and I enjoy sharing about learning and tools that have come to me in my life when those might be helpful. But passing along resentment to an individual or group isn't a strength or tool - it's not something I would want to encourage others to do. I'm always a little shocked when a moderator locks a thread - I tend to forget that this is a moderated forum. But I haven't seen such action when it wasn't warranted. In fact I've seen anger and some prejudice run rampant (over positions on vaccination, gender-related issues, etc.) where intervention would have made sense but didn't happen. It's useful to have a place to communicate with other autistics, but without moderation WP would likely be full of flame wars. I don't bother with the political issues forum on WP because I already experience enough jaw-clenching conflict and alienation in my life as is. :twisted:

LittleCoyoteKat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 7:22 pm

I think I'll stay here. Labeling, generalization and hatred based on those two behaviors aren't my cup of tea. So if this forum is wrong for refusing to allow group-specific hatred and discriminatory talk then I'll just stay here and be wrong with them.

It seems like maybe you're just having a really bad day, or a hard time of things right now, and you're lashing out.
I hope you feel better soon.

I am a Bookwyrm.

Mudboy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 10:01 pm

Quote:
Drwho has been given a 30-day ban on account of his continual harassment of ASS-P. This is The Haven. If you have nothing constructive to say, keep your mouth shut.

I guess Drwho was having a bad day. He probably didn't read the rules of the haven before posting. The mod was harsh, but correct. The haven needs to be kept a safe place for those in emotional crisis.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Feb 2018, 2:33 am

I left another, smaller, forum because I was fed up with the NT bashing from some members. The three NT people I know really well in real life are amongst the nicest people I have ever met and I wish I could be more like them. I can think of a few people with ASDs that I have met both in real life and online who are amongst the most unpleasant, arrogant people I have ever met. Neither of those things tell me anything about NT people or people with ASDs in general though.

Being a very large forum it is somewhat easier to steer clear of any NT bashing here. No need for me to be done with this place thank you.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:39 am

I think there's enough good sense in this thread to justify staying.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2018, 3:31 am

Sorry you had some trouble.
I can only guess what you did (promoted genocided of NT's???)

I've frequently been critical of NT's, and never had any moderation (that I know of).
There has been criticism of my stance, however I've never called for harm against NT's or anything that extreme.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 8:42 pm

Since when is WP partnered with Autism Speaks

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 9:08 pm

Alex was doing something in partnership with Autism Speaks at some point. Sorry that I don't recall anything more specific. It was announced on that homepage years ago. About the same time much of the WP population was turning against Autism Speaks. So I recall being puzzled that he would do that.