Very depressed since school shooting

Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 10:54 am

Sarahsmith wrote:
There would need to be massive protests and civil unrest for them to consider gun control. And even then its likely they would do nothing about it. Like closet genious said it would take decades maybe a century for gun control.

I guess the only positive thing is they provide self defence. But I cringe to write that because I see guns as being more of a problem. If I was a kid in the states I would be terrified to attend school. I guess if I get reincarnated I can always ask to be home schooled or move to Canada. If I was an American Id want to move to Canada. Id like to see more people getting upset about this. Id like to see massive protests!

Sarah, did you watch the news yesterday? There IS a massive protest going on - by high school students! There is a nationwide movement to stage local marches/"die-ins"/protests. PLEASE look for something near you that you can participate in.

You may think that even a big protest won't result in much change. But lately we have seen a big change arise almost spontaneously in the "#metoo" movement against sexual harassment in the workplace. Sometimes, social changes have to wait for a big moment that nobody could have predicted. Small changes, though, lead to gradual changes in opinion that eventually coalesce into action. I suspect this moment may be now, or very soon, for a ban on assault weapons in a civilian marketplace. The majority of activists, lobbyists and representatives who are keeping "gun rights" (to an illogical degree) remain in place, are yesterday's old, white men, and they are increasingly moving out of power. Quite a few of the Republican "establishment" in Congress have either lost their seats, or announced they are not running again at the end of their term.

Think globally - ACT LOCALLY! Please don't be depressed - be energized!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 11:07 am

Trump is probably going to consider more strict gun control, believe it or not.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2018, 11:20 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Think globally - ACT LOCALLY! Please don't be depressed - be energized!

And here's a link to get you started. "Walk out of school - March 14"

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 1:51 pm

I see the vote to ban assult weapons in the state of Florida has failed. But there are some students with high spirits that change will happen in the future. I hope theyre right. Its to easy for crazy people to get their hands on these weapons.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2018, 7:12 pm

AspieSingleDad wrote:
It looks to me like the title of this thread is "Very Depressed Since School Shooting". I don't see anywhere within that title nor within the initial post by Sarah that would indicate this is a debate about the 2nd amendment. Let's respect the poster and focus on her concerns surrounding the shooting, and keep irrelevant politics out of this. Of course, I realize there's a zero percent chance that is going to happen, but I thought I'd try at least.

That’s what ive been doing Sara is nice. I like her. We disagree on this matter so I stayed away from posting so as not to upset her. I hope she’ll feel less depressed soon.