Very depressed since school shooting

Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 5:56 pm

Ever since I read about the school shooting in florida I havent looked at the world in the same way. It has lost its innocence. I live in Canada and do not attend school so I shouldnt worry about it. But I believe in reincarnation. Never used to. But recently met someone I remembered from a past life and have memories of a past life as an American. Worried I will come back as an American and have to attend school and there will be school shootings still.

I looked at peoples comments about the shooting on a youtube video Joe Rogan talked about the subject. Couldnt believe the number of Americans saying its not the guns its mental illness. How could they not get that other developed countries have mental illness and violent video games but hardly ever have scool shootings, because of harder access to guns. If you cant have access to a gun you cant shoot people. They need to do something in the states about this. Innocent children are being killed.
It could have happened again in Washington. A grandmother read her grandsons diary and he wrote how he was excited to do a school shooting and was practicing to do it. He said he wanted the death toll to be high. More than other school shootings. Its great they caught him on time but of course its only a matter of time before the next one happens.

So yeah I have been really upset. I just want the states to have gun control. For them to know that guns are the problem. I just want it to stop. I will never look at the world the same way again. It is a dangerouse world.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 6:01 pm

I want the US to have gun control too, Sarah.

The person who did this shooting, and many other shootings, seem "mentally ill" to me.

I don't happen to believe that "autism" is at the root of any of the shootings.

I wish a hug from me would make you feel better

{{{{{{{{{{{HUG}}}}}}}}}}}}}

B19
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 6:05 pm

Your karma may be more likely see you reincarnated in another safer country. I'll send you up a prayer for New Zealand, no school murders happen here, no glorification of gun culture anywhere.

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 6:27 pm

Thank you.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2018, 11:08 pm

Sorry you've been so distressed since the school shootings. Unfortunately, this isn't anything new in the United States. Interestingly enough, I wrote a college paper intending to link mental illness to violence and shootings. There was no doubt in my mind mental illness and shootings were linked, and all I had to do was find the oodles of evidence to prove it.

So I went into my college library database (which is quite extensive) to prove my thesis. I looked up study after study with objective/scientific methods of researching the link between mental illness and violence/shootings. What I found is that folks with mental illness are no more prone to be violent than neurotypical people. In fact, the mental ill are more likely to be the victims of violence than a neurotypical person.

The other issue is the amount of mass shootings that take place are too small of a dataset to indicate any link with mental illness or neurotypical people. Even in this day and age, mass shootings are a rare way for somebody to die in the United States.

As an American with a 9 year old son attending a school, I do worry a bit, I won't lie. But still believe the United States remains a safe place overall, and I believe my son's school is safe (and God willing, will remain safe). It's hard to know there are people so heartless and violent in this world, and to know that the masses are too content to attempt to do something about it. But I wouldn't worry about being a victim of gun violence, smoking cigarettes is far more deadly.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 10:28 am

It is absolutely true that mentally ill people are usually quite non-violent.

But a pathological mindset can lead to actions which don’t make apparent sense. An amoral/immoral conception of the the value of others’ lives sometimes leads to catastrophic results.

This is why I believe in basic morality/ethics, and not the indulgence of exploring the absence of them.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 10:35 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
It is absolutely true that mentally ill people are usually quite non-violent.

But a pathological mindset can lead to actions which don’t make apparent sense. An amoral/immoral conception of the the value of others’ lives sometimes leads to catastrophic results.

This is why I believe in basic morality/ethics, and not the indulgence of exploring the absence of them.

It's almost like you're flirting with the argument that somebody neurotypical is TEMPORARILY mentally ill at the time they commit violence.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 10:56 am

Unfortunately, that could happen. A person could just “snap.”

But the concept of “legally insane” is much more exacting than that. It is rare, these days, for a person to be declared “legally insane.”

It is probable that Mr. Cruz will face the full wrath of justice.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 11:42 am

I completely disagree with the notion that mental illness is the root cause of evil. Beyond that, it is also factually incorrect, mentally ill people are actually less likely to be killers.

As far as gun control goes, I completely support that, there's a reason these things don't happen as often here in europe, guns are practically non existent outside of the military. The giant problem though, is that guns are already everywhere in us, if it's even possible to get rid of them, it would take decades, maybe even a century.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 11:50 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
...A person could just "snap...."

Oh, indeed. Given the world's population, that does and will happen frequently. But, while one young man destroyed the lives of 17 people and their families, friends and communities, at least 137,431,558 American gunowners harmed no one on Feb. 14, 2018. More importantly, at least 6,500 American gun owners defended themselves, their families, friends and others using firearms responsibly and lawfully on that day (once every 13 seconds) ( http://www.gunfacts.info/pdfs/gun-facts ... screen.pdf ).

Knowing that such random firearm-related murders, suicides and accidents happen around us everyday, I prefer to see the good that firearms give ordinary single mothers to protect their children, or the lone late-night Pizza Hut delivery worker who protects himself from violent crime even if his corporate employers will terminate his employment for simply wanting to protect himself. In my mind, those single mothers and late-night workers are the heroes.

Having served as a hate-crime adviser to the Office of the U.S. Attorney for the District of Utah, I learned that taking a step back and seeing the overall good is often the only thing that makes life bearable. We help each other (armed or not) and life does "get better."

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 12:16 pm

I’m not saying mental illness is the “root of evil.”

I do find, though, an extreme discontent underlying the actions of many shooters.

Closet Genious
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 12:32 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’m not saying mental illness is the “root of evil.”

I do find, though, an extreme discontent underlying the actions of many shooters.

and/or complete nihilism. But those don't imply mental illness. I don't think it's helpful to immiediately label all killers as mentally ill. Killing is actually very human, we've killed eachother for millions of years. Animals have killed eachother for hundreds of millions of years.
Given the wrong circumstances, I believe most people could be killers.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 12:38 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
...I do find [...] an extreme discontent underlying the actions of many shooters....

I thought I was the only one who thought that. It seems that certain, but too many, shooters seem "programmed" (for just one of many examples, see Mark David Chapman who, after shooting John Lennon in front of witnesses and a security guard, sat blithely nearby and started reading The Catcher in the Rye). Too frequently, these shooters have what seem to be the worst script writers in the mystery genre. No, give me a Ted Kaczynski any day. Extreme discontent? Mmm, not so fast. He was deeply connected with reality so much so that he named names of those who had recruited him into the LSD mind-control programs of the CIA in the 1960s and 1970s. Think Jason Bourne writ large with a bigger chip on his shoulder. Not that I cheer Kaczynski, no; I drove past his bombing location in Salt Lake City too many times before and since to give him a pass.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 1:16 pm

I really don't care what happens in the States anymore. The only thing I care about is how sick I am of hearing about them acting like idiots all the time. Their country and society has been going down the proverbial toilet for decades now, so now I'm just cold and emotionally numb whenever I hear about yet another mass killing.

And one of the things that increases a person's chances of becoming a mass murderer isn't being autistic or having a mental illness. It's being born a male. That not sexism or feminism, that's a sad but true fact because statistically most mass murders are committed by males. And yet no one is like "I'm so sorry your baby is a boy because he could be a serial killer or mass murderer some day.", and if they were people would be like, "OMG what a horrible pr!ck that person is!"

Sarahsmith
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 1:18 pm

There would need to be massive protests and civil unrest for them to consider gun control. And even then its likely they would do nothing about it. Like closet genious said it would take decades maybe a century for gun control.

I guess the only positive thing is they provide self defence. But I cringe to write that because I see guns as being more of a problem. If I was a kid in the states I would be terrified to attend school. I guess if I get reincarnated I can always ask to be home schooled or move to Canada. If I was an American Id want to move to Canada. Id like to see more people getting upset about this. Id like to see massive protests!

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 2:06 pm

Sarahsmith wrote:
There would need to be massive protests and civil unrest for them to consider gun control. And even then its likely they would do nothing about it....

Well, that is because prohibiting firearms lawfully would require a repeal or amendment of the Second Amendment. Given that such a radical change would take two thirds of both houses of the Congress, or of the states, to call a Constitutional Convention where such a repeal or amendment would be considered and, if proposed, ratified by the legislatures, or by conventions, of three fourths of the several states, it is currently, and likely to remain so for decades or centuries, unlikely in the extreme to succeed. There is no tolerance in the United States to experience such a venture. This difficulty in amending our Constitution was intentional by the Founders because of the way Great Britain prohibited firearms, and other inhumane policies, at the onset of the American Revolution.

I hear that North Korea prohibits its subjects having firearms, too. How is that working out for those who haven't been executed already?